Mercedes Front Wing | FerrariChat

Mercedes Front Wing

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Oct 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did anyone notice from the forward nose camera that the steering vanes move dramatically on the Mercedes? They lay down on acceleration and high speed and lift up quite a bit under braking. I watched some other cars and even went back to re-view and did not notice such exaggerated movement.

Maybe the place on the track was different so I can't say for sure but it was enough for me to notice. Is this RB's complaint about their "bendy" wing or were they referring to something else? Not that anything will ever come of any protest or complaint about Merc, but you would think something so obvious would get some attention.

stavura, ingegnere, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  2. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yep exactly this. So rear wings comply with rules but merc not happy about delection. Others complain about merc front wings zero.

Bas and fil like this.
  3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And the MB engines seem to have suddenly gotten more powerful. Amazing how the FIA look the other way on these sudden increases in engine performance with all these freezes in place…

stavura, Bas, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The front wing on the Red Bull was flexing equally to that of the mercedes front wing, definately a movable aero device. Not sure about the others as no in car footage to compare but my guess is that they are all doing it, but some getting better gains.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When FIA made the directive about the rear wings, RBR made a complaint about front wings to FIA. It fell on deaf ears.

When the pitstops where something Mercedes lost out on, the FIA made a directive about changing the safest pitstop method, to make it less safe, and slower, under the guise of ''safety''.

When the Ferrari became too fast and started to challenge Mercedes, the FIA spend 2 years putting extra sensors on the Ferrari engine and seizing engines to slow them down.

When the Mercedes suddenly makes a jump in performance by allegedly cooling air in the plenum, but can get away with it because of where their sensor is located, the request to move the sensor to a more sensible location falls on deaf ears.

How nice!

stavura, lagunacc, fil and 3 others like this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The pre-race PSA (public show of affection) between Ferrari exile Domenicali and now F1 CEO and HAM seemed to me pretty telling about who F1 are rooting for. Just saying.

7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Right. With Ferrari it was guilty until proven innocent and everything possible was done to smear the team with innuendo and hearsay, including the imposed additional sensors which uncovered nothing on the hybrid side.

With Merc it’s a concerted effort to protect them of any hint of wrongdoing. Unexplainable.

stavura, classic308, lagunacc and 4 others like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The pre-race PSA (public show of affection) between Ferrari exile Domenicali and now F1 CEO and HAM seemed to me pretty telling about who FIA are rooting for. Just saying.

fixed it for you.

MB bought a new front wing that appears to flex more than ever but FIA have your back (again) Mercedes….

fil and 375+ like this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Front wings have been flexing under load since Massa was around with Wiiliams.

Nothing new.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'll have a go at explaining it...........

Brawn x Todt x Domenicali x Tombazis + Mekkies = FIA grudge

classic308 and ingegnere like this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think the technical [aero] approach, material specifications and interaction it plays with the modern F1 car has changed considerably.

Phenomenal deflection of both front wings of the Merc and RB.

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Not really.

You can see on the Williams that the front wing flexes under load considerably.

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

RedBull and others are inquiring not logged official complaints about a part of the Mercedes engine. Rumor is the air intake/induction. So far that inquiry has led to no action or none to be taken/tossed out per the press.

For the wings - it appears what ever anyone is running is passing the tests and is legal. If there is inquiry activity on this its quiet??? FIA sets the rules.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Correct on the flexing front wings.

On the Mercedes Intake plenum inquiry, RedBull wants clarification, meaning how does it work, rather than a clampdown from the FIA on Mercedes so RedBull can implement it.