Mercedes to Quit if V8's Return | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mercedes to Quit if V8's Return

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Nov 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´m not the greatest fan of the current formula, but a change was needed and they can´t rewrite the entire rule book every year, so we better should get used to it.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's debatable.

4. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    The fia started this mess there was no reason for them to leave the v 10 .Bernie has been anti turbo since day one f1 has been down the turbo road before and every team ran from them because of cost and fia thought it was good idea . The great thing about the 3.0 liter v 10 there where about maxed out only small development each year . With these power you got battery turbo and recovery to improve how much will a team honda spend just to make a lighter battery pack and smaller recovery system's . Not even talking engine and turbo and all the intercooler system

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Agree. They just creamed the field based on new rules the entire field agreed to. That said I would prefer a NA alternative but it should be optional. MB and everyone else just dumped stupid amounts of loot into the development of these power units, it's not fair to anyone to just force a change on a whim.

6. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    The set of rules were originally for 4 pot no additional hybrid. Merc got those changed to suit them back then, so we can have them changed to suit us now.

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It's not on a whim. It's clear to everybody that this is a bullsh*t formula, fans are leaving the sport in droves and the expense is bankrupting teams. If it continues for two more seasons there will be no Formula 1.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I say: 1 L up to 16 cyl in any configuration... or 1L 6 cyl Turbo :both with Kers....
    let them at it.

also have to open up the regulations a bit on aero and driver aids...
    Active aero - ok
    Active suspension ok
    no car to pit communicaiton excetp thru pit boards.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What isn't?
    ;)

A new power plant configuration would mean a total redesign of the cars. That's got to cost.

BTW As I remember Renault was also pushing for a greener, more road car relevant engine spec.

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Well, here's the rub for Merc, if Honda come in next year and wipe the floor with them will they still be happy to have an engine freeze? It would be fairly easy to mandate minimum weights and or dimensions for things like batteries etc but effectively, at the moment, the rules are saying that unless you have a Merc engine, you pretty much can't compete, never mind win.

Not very sensible.

They need to allow engine development with some controls as to what they can & can't do IMO.

Not much different to previously in terms of materials & engine specs etc.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Renault shut down the F1 engine program. Ferrari's corporate picture is as yet unclear; I am guessing that they will have less money not more to spend on F1 moving forward. They will at least need to spend more prudently than thowing away money in the drivers market.

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    All true.

Is the sport willing to pull the plug on Honda though?
    F1 is anxious to reduce their dependency on any one engine maker and a last minute change in configuration might lose Honda.

13. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Ferrari need to resign from turbo in road cars cuz they always follow F1 :D

14. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    If Bernie wants to get rid of the manufacturers that need to answer to shareholders about the sport's relevance to technology, he will more than succeed by bringing back old and stagnant technology.

Merc won't be the only ones departing.

15. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    I thinke French have already pulled the plug I thought there was talk of redbull Buying Renault F1 engine shop

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And who'll replace them?

17. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Wasn't the majority of the pit lane doing the same?

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Customers dusting off Cosworth's?

In trying to rescue the sport I fear they could kill it once and for all. This isn't the 60's and I'm not sure pretending it is the case is particularly positive.

Bernie's comment at the end of his conversation with Eddie Jordan was very telling. His question to Bernie was 'Are you ruling out a one make formula?'

8:53:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmy80CaYIY

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    "I'm against democracies, with anything". HAHAHA

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This. I preferred the days of turbos vs. atmos vs. 4-cyl vs. 8 cyl, etc.

It's stale with a spec. Sorry, flame me if you must, it's just not the same. Build what you want and run it in anger.

22. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #47 asjoseph, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    ... harkening back to F1's wayward point of departure, the FOCA/FISA war, before Mosley and Ecclestone sunk their teeth into it, Formula 1 premised itself as planet Earth's principle proving ground, for automotive evolution.

As such, if I had an exploratory I needed to advance to development, and to do so I chose enter F1? Then, in bringing my ideas to F1, I should be able to enter, with any engine I please, with any tyres I please, with any drivers I please. As such, F1 is supposed to be an automotive engineer's and an automotive designer's platform, for pooling good ideas (e.g., Enzo Ferrari; Jack Brabham; Colin Chapman; Bruce McLaren; Ken Tyrrell).

Henceforth, whether or not I sourced an off-the-shelf stock block mill, or built a foundry to forge my own, I should be welcomed by FiA, to enter with my choice of a W-16, a V-12, a V-10, a V-8, a turbocharged V-6, an inline-5, or a 4 pot hybrid, I should be able to enter with my tyre of choice, with any driver I choose. There should be no such thing as "an engine freeze," or a three million dollar "super-license." Under no circumstance should a tyre monopoly ever be tolerated. Under no circumstance should one Automaker (e.g., Daimler-Mercedes) ever be vested market power sufficient to hold all Formula 1, hostage.

As is now the case (e.g., "...you can have any color you like, so long as it's black" -- Henry Ford).

Ecclestone's lost control. Ecclestone no longer controls F1. In effect, Daimler-Mercedes has subverted complete control, over all F1 (e.g., "... change the engine formula, change any one little thing, and we will most certainly pull the rug out, from F1"). Like it or not, what Daimler-Mercedes says, goes. Period. That's that -- asj.

23. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Don't agree with that - the negative PR possibilities for being seen to be a bunch of spoil-sports who can't handle an honest competition (because they won't allow development) are huge.

The PR opportunity for Renault, Honda & Ferrari would be huge.

And again, if Honda (with the benefit of the insight into ideas like the split turbo etc) have really done their job, will Merc still want an engine freeze?

24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Even if it was the majority: what's the difference? Now it's everybody against Mercedes.

25. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    First of all, you have to give credit to MB (if that's even true :) suggesting going back to V8s when they're currently crushing the competition with their engines (mostly their ERS).
    Second of all, F1 without MB would be toast.
    And third of all, at this day an age, only V8s would be 'socially acceptable', since basically EVERY car manufacturer offers a V8. We could debate making it a turbo (with a lower rpm limit) or not, like most automakers are opting to do with their V8s. But if you want to call F1 the 'piinnacle' of motorsports, you just can't basically copy Indy cars, when those look and sound better, and are faster (but both sound like crap compared to V8s). I won't attend another F1 race with V6 turbo engines, but that's just me.