Mercedes W107 fans: any here? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mercedes W107 fans: any here?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Jack-the-lad, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #26 Valenzo, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just picked mine up last month. My parents owned a 380 when i was in HS and so the seed was planted. 30 years later i decided i wanted one to alternate my DD with my Mondial.

I found a low mile 1 owner 560 in my color preference and I enjoy the hell out of it. Of course my wife is trying to claim it. Lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    I had a couple about 10 years ago - a 350 sl circa '72, and a 450 slc circa '80.

As far as my experience on the sl goes, it's just such an easy ride - just put it in D and go....handled a bit like a ship but extremely comfortable with not much concentration required at all.

It is a touch analogue - I was parked up one night in a quiet street and I could hear the clock ticking but I found it charming. And with the roof off, a quick glance behind you fills you with confidence...it looks much smaller than you'd have thought.

That was the only downside - e.g. a raw petrol smell took a very long time to locate.

Having driven the mid/late 80's cars, they'd be the ones I'd go for if I were to purchase another one (like the 560 you mentioned) - a more modern car but with the same classic looks.

Lovely cars !

Best, Sammy

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Teddy, put up a "mild" stink about Mrs. Claim Jumper's acquisition attempts. But then - - slowly, with sensitive and appropriate timing, - begin to let go. Ultimately, it's called "she wins - and so do you" :):)

Just goofin', my dear friend,

Hank

4. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Whoops missed your post - what a beauty - congratulations !

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #30 Valenzo, Apr 28, 2014
    I wont let her drive Valenzo... So its a healthy compromise. Plus, shes a respectful driver, she knows how i feel.

...Now these little guys are a different story.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My inquiries were replied to with very short, not very helpful responses. He claimed to have a car which showed up on ebay a few days later represented by a different seller. I got a very bad first impression, so decided not to pursue anything further with him.

Jack

7. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Jack..that's more than I got which was nada/zilch..too many fish,but that TD looked nice..on ward.
    Cheers,
    RE

8. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Jack,
    Pretty nice '89 on bat today,FYI..on the high side w/o a/c op..but you might want to eyeball just the same.
    Cheers,
    RE

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. I took a look there, too. Wrong colors for me and the ac issue is a deal killer here in Florida.

10. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Jack,the red is getting comment creamed on bat...and that mb "dealer" treats others the same as us...how does a jerk like that stay,oh never mind...
    Cheers,RE

11. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
  12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Some very nice TD/SW's there Matt,all sold..one w/37k mi!!..that's a 25-30 car easy. I'd like to find one w/120 much less under a 100...thanks for the link,we'll carry on.
    Cheers,
    RE

13. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    My W123 300TD was a roach with 150k, t-boned, repaired and generally skanky. I still loved it because the greatness of the car shined through despite all the faults. These (including W107s) are all great cars, lovely Paul Bracq designs. Seriously underrated. You can putt-putt around in comfort, enjoying the perfect ergonomics and build quality, or you drive it at the limit and put a grin on your face. Someday I'll get a good one.

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, MM has become a bit of a cult. I understand they do great diesel work. As much as I'd love to have one of their 300TDs I just can't justify their prices. I don't think they've had (or at least advertised) a 560SL for the year or so I've been watching them.

15. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    Roy Spencer at mercedesheritage.com should be able to help with finding a good 107. Super nice guy and follows through with what he says.

16. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    #41 hans2, May 7, 2014
    A Euro 350SL / SLC with the 3.5 L D-Jet V-8 and 4-speed manual is the one to have for optimal driving pleasure. Next would be a Euro 300SL with the M103 6-cyl and (of course) stick. Rare in the States but not hard to find in Europe for subsequent US importing. 107s carry a price premium in Europe, but I think the aforementioned 350SL / C with period checker seats is worth it.

Mobile.de:

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    How's the 560SL experience been so far?

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm still looking. Prices are steadily rising, but the good news is that this is bringing a lot of really nice cars to market.

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I had a 89 560SL, a little too soft to be a sports car. I still have a 91 420SEL, the rides are similar. Its a great car for looks and top down cruising. But if you want fast look elsewhere. The manual earlier cars, the shifter is too loose, almost feels broken, no feedback and therefore no fun. Actually same reason I like auto 928's more then the manuals. I also had a 500SL, basically the same car underneath as the 560SL, but firmer suspension and a little more grunt out of the V8. These are cheap now.

A few 560SL available in Canada, a few with really low kilometers and service history, they are basically offered for around $40k CDN. A high kilometer, poor service history, tired one start at about $8k CDN. So prices are all over the map. I've considered this one:

1989 Mercedes-Benz 560 560SL Roadster for $41,950 in Concord | autoTRADER.ca

Id get another one, just for top down cruising.

20. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    The R107 is a luxury convertible built like a tank. It does have a rather modern suspension compared to its predecessor R113 how had two half axles in the rear which can give quite some surprise when cornering hard. The softtop is rested under a lid, almost even with the body lines and gets you that wonderful "barchetta" feeling as if you were in a small boat.
    I had a 73 450SL and a 80 280SL, both good in their own respect. Note for 560SL version (it is not significantly stronger than a Euro 500SL), there was delivery to Australia and Japan with a 300HP version. If memory serves me right, it boiled down to different headers, maybe those could be sourced to enjoy the full capability of the engine,

cheers

braq

21. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'll look in Japan for the 300hp version. I watch the auto auctions in Japan.

Mercedes wasn't really about performance back in the 80's early 90's. I've said if the 560sl was more like a 928, it would have been an awesome car, not just a good looking beach cruiser.

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Very well stated. Modern cars lack a lot of character. And they are becoming a collection of egg shaped cars with origami creases and what amounts to dashboards designed around an IPAD. Zero character.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove a 560 SL that I was considering buying a few years back. It's definitely the other end of the scale from the 911 of the same era -- much softer, very cushy seats, and all the US versions I've ever seen were automatics. It wasn't a small car back in the '80s, but by modern standards it's pretty tiny,

That said, beautifully put together and a smooth ride for a German car.

True - video screens and body-colored plastic everything... the difference between a modern SL and a Ferrari California is that one has nicer badges.

I like the W107 SLs - they've aged very well, IMHO.

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yeah......I think one of these is going to be my "old man car."

Hey! It beats a Mercury Grand Marquis!

25. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I do think the design is one of the nicest styling wise from the 70's and 80's era. But just don't buy one thinking its a sports car, best 0to60 time was 6.7, most recorded it at 7.4. So its pretty slow despite the V8.