Mercedes W107 fans: any here? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mercedes W107 fans: any here?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Jack-the-lad, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As an aside, I always found the 107 series SL center consoles amusing. Someone left an acre of flat space there and the engineers never found a use for it.

(Kind of the opposite problem of today's cars.)

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    There is what looks to be a nice example at F-40 motorsports 87 for 19.5

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Bump.

How much should it cost to replace the top on an W107 SL?

Matt

4. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Our family had a 73 450SL and a rare 71 350 SL w / manual transmission ( w/c in my opinion is an inferior car to the automatic transmission version).for 10 years . The 3.5 liter M116 engine like to rev , but the 4.5 liter had more torque. They drive like the 4 door sedan Mercedes Benz of their era. Nice & firm ride . Brought them to the racetrack and they're too heavy unwidely , 911 of their erea ran rings around them . When I got 84 BMW 635CSi its faster , and better handling and frugal on fuel . But for long distance driving and durability the R107's are hard ro beat. Both cars were sold and replaced by 88 Mondial Cabriolet & a 89 Porsche 911 Turbo .

audio research

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    And....

On a 560SL, is there any smog equipment that can be removed (I'd be exempt) to increase power?

Mid-1980s were terrible for smog strangulation.

And I would really appreciate an estimate for a replacement soft top.

Thanks!

Matt

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm thinking of buying one. I've done a good bit.....well, quite a bit.....of research, but would welcome comments and experiences from those who have actually owned, maintained, lived with them.

Thanks.

Jack.

7. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I had an 85 Euro 500SL, but all basically the same. Built like a tank. When you close the door you will smile as it's more solid than any other car. AND that's with no window frames! They are terrifically old school. You can even hear the clock ticking away if you get into it at night when things are quieter. I didn't have it for too long so I can't comment on the long term. But they are well built.

8. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    They are kind of popular now. I owned one when they were new and loved it. Looks like a real sports car to me.

9. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Had a 89 560sl black, palamino. It's a very elegant, classic car. I loved it. However, my wife says it a old man's car. She didn't share my feelings. It's not a sports car, not like a Porsche. It's a touring classic. The convertible top was difficult and time consuming to open, close. Also you have to store the hardtop, and that's a 2 person job to put on, take off. Always afraid I would scratch the paint in the process.

But, still luv them will probably have another someday.

Never had any mechanical problems. Rock solid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for all the comments.

My wife and I just finished a tour around Tuscany in vintage Alfas and Mercedes, so I had a couple of days at the wheel of an R107, a 300SL, not a 560SL. I was quite impressed, and since I've been thinking of getting one for some time, the tour pretty much sealed the deal. I've always considered them elegant cars. And since I am an old man :) I think it'll be a perfect fit!

I live in a very warm climate and am a little concerned about the air conditioning system in these cars. AC is imperative for me, even if it is a convertible. I've heard that servicing the AC can be expensive. Has anyone here had experience with that, either as an owner or as a technician?

11. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I had one (450) as a "company car" in the 80s when I was in my early 20s, and two girlfriends from that time who subsequently bought their own because of that one (one still owns hers). There's something special about them, even if so many other cars are faster or handle better.
    The memories of that one prompted me to find another, an '89, back in 2011, which I still have. Top has been up 4 times in its life, and under the tonneau, looks and feels new. Original owner was confirmed by Beverly Hills Mercedes as "little old lady" who would have the dealership store the top, and put it on for her on the occasion she wanted a closed car for a few days. Second owner also in Malibu, and as anal as I am about taking care of his cars.
    Only two picks -
    1) Original owner installed cell phone, with its attendant antenna hole perfectly located between the tonneau and trunk lid, now with a paint-matched plug, and three holes in the passenger-side carpet of the console for the handset cradle.
    2) BH Merc sold her on the idea of having the AC converted to inefficient R134. I knew from the 450 that the AC wasn't going to be strong, but I suppose it was adequate for Malibu. R134 is smaller molecule that R12, and escapes through the R12 hoses. I had it converted back, which is when/how I found out about the molecule size issue, which is worse with old hoses. This is your first thing to address if you want what AC the car has to offer - new hoses. I haven't bothered because of how involved running those new hoses is.
    The vent-control valves are pneumatic, and their diaphragms get old and crack. Replacing them is a MAJOR PIA, requiring the dash to come out for the deepest of them...... but if you're replacing the hoses.... I'd already had the valves replaced before finding out that the 134 would never stay in the R12 hoses anyway, and then the old hoses wouldn't hold the new R12 much longer anyway, but the cooling was drastically better (than the recharged R134) for a while. Oh, well.

I just drive mine in mild weather, though summer nights are fantastic. I don't worry about the AC. For a German car, heat output isn't tremendous, either.
    As already noted, they're stout, and near-bulletproof (almost literally), but when something does need repair, it CAN be $$$$, but not necessarily.

Something funny - Around my new (to me) house, three neighbors within about 500 ft have 107 SLs, a white Euro-twin to my US-spec being directly across the street.

12. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My dad bought an 87 new and drove it for 90K miles. Handed it down to me and I put another 15K on it over 5 years. Not a sports car, more of a cruiser but it can handle pretty well. Other than replacing hoses and other consumables (include the convertible top in that equation) it only needed fuel pumps over that 105K miles. Solid cars and I miss it. Handed it down to my brother and he won't give it back.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If by "upgrading" you mean selling the 560SL please let me know.

Jack