Merged: 0117 S - This Week's Barn Find | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Merged: 0117 S - This Week's Barn Find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Aug 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #51 T308, Aug 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    Car have been bought by Paul Grant of Belgium and he will be very please too show the car to anybody who may express a interest to write a story about this fantastic discovery ( Who say that it s impossible to find Barn car anymore ? )
    In 1956, the car was a Barchetta and we can really suposse that in this case, the car have been racing in Italy prior to come to the States. The research begin. Paul told me to tell the Ferrari community that he will reward any good help to complet the history and photos. After, he will race the car in historic events.
    More details photos when the car wiol be in Belgium.
    Where he need to look to see if any body parts are numbered ?

Thank You.
    email of Paul Grant is [email protected]

3. ecurienationalebelge

Mar 17, 2005
    great news ! Grant is a good guy. For how much did he buy it ? Can't see the results on rmauction.com

4. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

5. smestas

smestas Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Sold for $210,000.00 USD.

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    That's all it went for? Granted, it's a bitsa, but I would have expected it to go for more than that.

7. smestas

smestas Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    On a side note the Ferrari 412 S Spider sold for 5.1 million. WOW!!

8. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    It was 210 + commission
    Why it was a steal is simple to understand
    The car was not in the catalogue but was in a folder who was written by Marcel Massini, even if the story was very well explain, many people didn t take the folder and on the block, they didn t knew what is was !
    After outside, many people was around the car and was discussing the 121 LM body with Bill Noon and Elliott Grossman.
    Paul had receive very good offer from collectors who now understand the car.
    The price paid has nothings to do with the value as you can see with the great steal that Tom bought on Ebay !
    Now, Paul is searching for any period Italian racing history and if found will make this Barchetta even more fantastic !

9. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    It would have bid for more. I actually still had my hand raised at $215K and was spotted by both Rob and another of the RM staff but was ignored and the hammer came down.

Rob objected but in such a circumstance the auctioneers decisions is always final.

My bidding was consistant with three others and I was prepared to go to $250K without question.

It will always have a story but it would have been the cheapest as well as competative open Ferrari in the challenge series and one I would have enjoyed.

I think it was one of the few under-sold cars of the auction.

In any case it was nice as the missed opportunity led to an introduction to Jean Todt and his girlfriend and some interesting conversations thereafter.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

10. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
  11. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    To Bill Noon,

*scratching head*

Given current values, it would be best to break this vehicle back into three legitimate vehicles?

Reconstruct the frame as "new" original 117S....the body into a reconstructed 118LM, and the drivetrain back into the 250GT 2 + 2??

Admittedly, maybe the last vehicle would make no commercial sense, but there have been cars built out of less...........very interesting determination, on the possible origin of the body shell!

13. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    In the good story made by Massini, Peter Helm show a photos with his friend Pierre Jalbert next to 117 who work in the movie ""43: The Richard Petty Story (1974)… Richard Petty, Darren McGavin, Noah Beery Jr., L.Q. Jones, Kathie Browne, Pierre Jalbert, Jerry Whittington. Average biography of the NASCAR driver. Good racing footage though. http://www.sandlotshrink.com/movieauto.htm

14. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    On the auction description of Marcel Massini, this one show a photo with the car in the sixties with the actor Pierre Jalbert....Luckely, I ve spoke with Mr Jalbert today and this one speak very well french as he is a canadian french citizen. He will send me by post more infos on the car. The search continue, and Paul Grant ask me to thank you for all your help

15. l.lococo

l.lococo Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 1, 2006
    Buongiorno a tutti, mi potete aiutare per favore?
    Non parlo inglese e ho visto questo sito
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...=115599&page=4
    dove si parlava di un membro della mia famiglia D Lo Coco. Sarei in grado di aiutare la persona che cerca queste informazioni.
    Per favore, contattatemi in italiano a quest'email. : [email protected]
    Grazie

16. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    Good photos, thank you

17. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    Ok, gracie

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    George

What Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina is is fact. It has been officially agreed on between Pininfarina, Ferrari and me. This is public record and has been reported in the press:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/202433/ferrari_enzo_meets_pininfarina.html

What 0117S was, is now, and will be, is/will be fully disclosed as well. Both the market and people are fully able to judge what fully disclosed cars are and what they aren't. This is of course true about 0846/002C/SL 71-32/J446/J6/ect./etc.

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #70 Peloton25, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Don't y'all think there's a difference between a car that was rebodied back in the fifties, when no one could have known that these cars would be this valuable or this sought after, and one that's rebodied now, or recently?Seems to me that this makes all the difference; back in the day, these were just racing applicances etc. Someone who rebodies a car now is doing it in full awareness of the market- and possibly with the aim of deception. The intent was totally different back then- doesn't that count for something? Just curious.

21. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    The new owner Paul Grant is going to receive the car in Belgium in 3 weeks, then he will take very detailled photos of the car and I will post it.
    Speaking with Bill Noon, this one explain to us that because on 8 attachments points on the back of the car, this body is 121 or 118 LM.
    Grant is going to look very closely on the body to see if he can find marques or stamp somewhere. Where can be the location of a number ?
    Here history of some 121
    0484LM
    121LM
    SPYDER SCAGLIETTI SF Converted 750 Monza to 300S, then to 118LM. 1955: Targa Florio: Taruffi; 1st (as 118LM). Mille Miglia: Taruffi; DNF. Converted to 121LM. Re-bodied by Scaglietti for Parravano. Daily Herald Trophy, Oulton Park (U.K.): Shelby; DNF. Caracas: Maglioli; DNF. 1956: January: Torrey Pines: Brero; disqualified for push start. Tested by Hans Tanner in February. 1957 Palm Springs: Hill; 1st. Sold to Grandmaison. Sold to Martinez. Raced by Ken Miles in 1958 and Troy Ruttman in 1959 at Pomona. Sold to Bob Sorrell. 1959: Riverside: R. Ward; ? 1989 STPO, restored.

0546LM
    121LM
    Spyder Scaglietti 1955: Mille Miglia: P. Marzotto; DNF. Le Mans: Trintignant/Schell; DNF. Swedish GP: Castellotti; 3rd. Body up-dated at the factory. Sold to Bill Doheny in USA. Raced extensively by Ernie MacAfee. Glendale; 2nd. Palm Springs: 2nd. Bahama Speed Week; DNF. Hansen Dam; DNF. 1956: Torrey Pines; 2nd. Stockton; 1st. Santa Barbara; 1st. Santa Barbara; 1st. Ernie MacAfee was eventually killed in a crash in this car at Pebble Beach. Rebuilt. 1957: raced by Bruce Kessler at Beverly; 4th and Lime Rock; 1st. Stayed in USA. 1975: sold to Ziering. 1996: sold to Symbolic Motor Car Company. 1997 STPO.

Here 2 121 was was rebodied at the factory and the old body may have been use to rebody 117. Anyway the oil trap for the oil tank just confirm that it was a use body when put on the car in 1955

22. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Philippe,
    what are the plans with the car once in Belgium? Private collection or does the new owner plan to take it out from time to time? Glad to see it coming to our small country.
    Regards
    Jurgen

23. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    I believe that Paul is going to leave it in this condition but make it running and race it. The paint is very good considering his fourty years age and it s better to see a old paint than I new perfect Mercedes paint ( that he never exist 40 years ago )
    Everybody is welcome to go and see it in his shop

24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    What was the selling $?