Merged: Panamera, four door Porsche | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Merged: Panamera, four door Porsche

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by UroTrash, Jul 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    What do you mean by "Porsche and Audi together?" As in their partially shared dealer network?

And, as for the 911 purists that bemoaned the introduction of the "liquid-cooled" 996 vs the "air-cooled" 993 it replaced, I have news for them: The 993 was oil-cooled and, the last time I checked, oil was a liquid. Guess it was the change from oil to water/coolant that was so upsetting, huh? Uh... get over it.

2. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    I think you prevaricate a tad. You don't care about racing at all? You don't care Ferrari is (was) dominant in F1? You don't care that they race the 360 or the 550/575? You would be just as happy if they stuck to road cars?

I own a Porsche because I feel to own a Ferrari (properly) requires much more money than just the purchase price, and I prefer to spend my money on tires and gas, etc. I don't think the premium over the purchase price is worth the trip, at least if money is at all part of the equation. Sure, if I had boatloads I probably would own a Ferrari, and truth be told, I thought about a 360/355 in my last car "upgrade", but decided it just had too large a down-side for me. Too much to worry about. With my (RUF'd) Porsche I can:
    - drive it to work every day if I choose, with little to no worries about breaking down
    - flog it at the track with dealer warranty support, and without much ever breaking, and outperform much more expensive cars doing it
    - take it to the grocery store and not worry about idiots keying it
    - take it on looooooong tours out looking for awesome roads in the middle of nowhere
    - have a dealer that goes to all lengths to make me happy, superior service dept; free loaner car
    - still get a prime valet parking spot (ok, I don't live in LA...) - lol
    - belong to the PCA, probably the most active (single marque) car club in the country, if you combine road and track events; everyone else's events use OUR instructors
    - enjoy a rich and varied racing history, which looks to get more exciting soon

I could go on, but I think I made my point. A Ferrari is a work of art, a sensory tour de force...but a fragile one. I prefer a more utilitarian car which combines engineering excellence, performance, AND usability.

THAT is why I own a Porsche. And I totally agree with "to each his own". I fault nary a single person for wanting, lusting after, or owning a Ferrari.

PS Love how you worked in you could afford a CGT. lol ;)

3. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    All things old are new again!!!

From the 1990's comes ...

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/showcar.php?do=overview&car_model_id=42

There even was a coach built four door version of the 356 series as I remember it ... Not sure that Porsche had any thing to do with that one, but photos of it floated around in different magazines for a time back in the good-old-days.

Best wishes

4. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    just picture it between a BMW M5 & a MB E55 and it makes a lot of sense.

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

Ahhh how sweet a boxster coupe that almost matches my 13 year old Carrera 4 RCT EVO...........hopefully the 911 will always be better than the throw away leased Porsche cheapie range

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The difference between a 2 or 4-door is slowly disapearing nowadays,just look at the Mazda RX8.
    Nobody has seen yet the final version of the Panamera,the pics above are just a photoshop speculation,so why some people are getting so excited?
    According to Porsche official release,that car is supposed to be a spiritual successor to 928(still miss that car),which at the time was famous for probably best GT interior design in the World.It was probably one of the best GT cars period,although some did not like it ,especially the so called "purists" ,who rejected anything that wasn't air cooled.
    Majority of the Panamera sales will be the 4.5 V8 TT and only a small percentage will be equipped with the V10,prices ranging from $125k to $200k.
    That price range is the new Holy Grail for exclusive Auto makers,with a good demand and high profit margins,so Porsche is making a great decision from a marketing point and also in satisfying an existing demand for a very fast,very exclusive car that does not look like a taxi next lane.

7. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    Okay, I will show my ignorance. What the heck is a C4 RCT EVO...?

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  9. seinfeld

seinfeld Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2004
    Diamond Bar/Cali
    Full Name:
    Gary
    whoa.....a KKK turbo charger on a fine german built car.... (click the link and read the article where the they talk bout the engine specs...)