Metallic noise on start up | FerrariChat

Metallic noise on start up

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Hi all,

firstly I'd like to thank you F Chatters for helping me out with some issues with my 308 GTS qv - most notablyly in resolving a gearbox problem.

Today's questions concern:

1. a noise I've become aware of - but may always have been there - on start up from cold. It is a metallic noise, that I can only describe as sounding like a chain tightening up, and sounds like it's on the right side of the engine when looking from behind (mine's a 84 UK car). It only lasts a few seconds. I know the cam belt is on that side, and have wondered if it's that, but it was only changed last Sept and not done many miles since.

2. is it normal to get a whistle sound from right hand side on hard acceleration? Again, I know that is the side the air intake feeds the air box, so maybe it's just that?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Ray.

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Possible auxiliary belt popping around when cold. Mine always does it and it sounds very alarming. Does it go away in a few minutes of driving ?

3. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    It goes within a few seconds - maybe up to 30 sec - after starting.

4. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I agree that its likely an auxilliary belt that needs tightening. Mostly it is the AC belt. It sounds like a kind of ticking and disappears after some seconds up to minutes.

The whistle sound is also known and you best used the 'search forum' to the info posted on this. I recall it is nothing serious.

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    x2 on the auxiliary belts,,it usually happens on my car when it’s cold but coincidentally it’s starts to happen when my belts are due,,which is this year..

6. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Ray, any update for us?

7. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My GT4 had a metallic sound at startup that went away after about 20 seconds. My inclination was a failing tensioner bearing. I started to remove various things in order to do a cambelt & bearing replacement when I decided to start the engine with all the ancillary belts removed. The sound did not occur at all. Subsequent disassembly reveled that the water pump bearing was seizing.

8. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    The car is with the mechanic and he's been given this feedback; he also suspects aux belts. I'll let you know what he finds. Thanks everyone.