Metallic rattle at idle | FerrariChat

Metallic rattle at idle

Discussion in '308/328' started by Markie1949, Aug 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    I need some help with this noise that just started this week, and it seems to be getting louder. I only hear it at idle, a sort of "loose" metallic rattle that's definitely coming from the front of the engine. I have it up on a lift so I guess I could investigate further by using an automotive stethoscope, and I could pull the accessory belts to eliminate those bearings. I don't have air injection or cats, and the accessory belts are good. I replaced the timing belt this winter, @ 2000 miles ago, and at that time the tensioner bearings were inspected by F of Salt Lake and pronounced good. Now I'm worried about them. I sure don't relish pulling the gas tank again just to look. Any ideas about the source of the noise? Could the cam belt covers rattle, they seem to be secure. Can the little belt followers in the top of the cam covers rattle? Is there any way to get a feel of the timing belt tension without removing the covers? Thanks for any input.

2. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Guess I've stumped all these "pro" mechanics here.

3. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Probably best to post it in the tecnical Q & A section.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #4 Miltonian, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Markie: This is what you DO NOT want to find is causing your rattle, and apparently there have been multiple cases of this happening. The flange on the front of the timing belt gear breaks off due to faulty spot welds, and if it gets tangled in the belt, it causes havoc. In this case, the belt slipped and resulted in 16 bent valves.

If you can not find a source for your noise on the outside of the belt cover, it will probably be necessary to dig into it again.

Good luck, and report on your findings.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Oh Sh-t, thanks I guess. fuel tank pull not such a bad idea for a look see. Thank you Mr. Miltonian

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That's ugly!

Just for reference, did the belt itself survive (i.e. slipped off, but wasn't cut completely to shreds by those metal fragments)?

Likewise, did that problem plague all models evenly, or some more than others?

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I'm afraid I don't know all of the details. This picture comes from a thread from 2004. The poster didn't go into specifics. I THINK I have read that there was a production change on these gears so that the flange couldn't come apart, but I honestly don't remember for sure. I suppose the dealer could check an original parts book number against a current number and see if there had been a supercede over the years.

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    There were some cam related production changes.
    10/10/91 cam seal housing modification—reduced oil leakage
    11/03/92 front timing bearing—reduced noise

9. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Markie, did u ever find the rattle?

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Your description sounds like heat shields around the cats, but you don't have cats....is your exhaust shielded like a cat car's?

Ken

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Any update?

12. Ferrari348turbo

Ferrari348turbo Karting

Nov 22, 2005
    Florida
    Maybe I missed something but what car is he working on? should we assume 348?

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Profile says 348ts.

14. db4

db4 Karting

Oct 24, 2009
    ny
    could also be oil pump chain tensioner may be on the way out

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Good thinking although somehow I suspect his problem has been solved in the intervening four years since posting....