Mexico - brake vacuum bottle | FerrariChat

Mexico - brake vacuum bottle

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #1 lbird, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello fellow Maserati drivers,

can somebody please advise me in the correct mounting and postioning of the brake vacuum bottle? It should be situated somewhere in the left front wing, i found the mounting holes but i have no idea how it should be angled etc. I attached a schema drawing with the bottle marked as reference. Since it will be covered on an actual car it may be difficult to see in situ. If somebody has a picture of his restoration or dismantled car that would be splendid. Thank you for your help in advance.

Greetings out of my little Mexico restauration hell
    lbird
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    #2 red27, Aug 17, 2015
    Hi Lbird. Here is a picture of the same vacuum tank installation on a Ghibli. I hope it may help. Photo credit Berlinetta motors.de. I'm sure others can help with the specifics...

3. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

What colour should it be? Mine was covered in black underseal but I couldn't work out the original finish under that
    Julian ( mine is on a Ghibli too )

4. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #4 lbird, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Thanks for the information, that was almost the picture i needed. It looks a little bit different in the Mexico front arch, if somebody has a genuine Mexico picture it would still be very helpful.

We powder coated it black, btw.

CU lbird

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Lbird...

I will try and get you a picture of the vacuum tank from my Mexico tomorrow... On my
    Mexico, the brake boosters are in the driver side front wing (in front of the driver side
    wheel), while the vacuum tank is behind the front driver wheel.. Again, I will try and
    get you pictures tomorrow!

Mike

6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #6 lbird, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    That would be great, thank you in advance, Mike! Although my car has one single brake booster in the drivers footwell and the vacuum bottle indeed sits in the left drivers side front arch...

CU lbird

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #7 Mexico074, Aug 21, 2015
    Hello lbird...

Attached are the pictures from my Mexico where the brake boosters and vacuum tank
    are located... Boosters are in front of the driver front wheel, with the vacuum tank behind
    the driver front wheel. If you only have one brake booster (servo), is it a Bonaldi unit??

My car is 112.074, built in 1967, thus is an early car.. Based on the brake booster number
    and location, and the location of the tank, your car must be a later car...

Since these pictures will not help you, they may help someone else!...
    Keep us informed on your progress!

Mike

8. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you for your effort big time, Mike! But unfortunately you are right: My car is a later car (#854) with the single Bonaldi unit. But your pictures will be of service for somebody else, i am sure.

9. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Dear Mexicos owners or perhaps, dear Girling brake boosters owners, I'm looking for your experience and expertise. I have a dual Girling brake system on my early Mexico. The boosters / brake servos are the Girling MkIIA. I know that they can be refurbished for a nice amount of money.

The are hidden in the front wing and to be honest, I don't care about the originality of these parts. I know that these Girling are old fashioned and I need reliability.

On Mexico074's picture, they look like moderns Lockheed or Powertune (actual production). What is the correct alternative for the Maserati brake system. I found an interesting tips in Ivan's library.

The old Girling can be remplaced by a Lockheed L4258-221, in today references -> the servo LR18221 or kit LE10117. Boost 3.00, 8" diameter.

What do you think about that ? Right size, right power ?

Thanks, Charles.