Mexico Registry... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Mexico Registry...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Mexico074, Jul 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #176 luvcoupes, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently bought, then sold, Mexico #068. I already have Mexico #100, mentioned above, but it's on a slow track to getting into driver condition. So in the meantime, I was presented with the opportunity to purchase #068 which was supposedly a good driver.
    That owner had it for 6 years but did as little as possible to keep it running. When he arrived at a mechanic's shop to show me the car and have it inspected prior to the sale, the clutch slave cylinder had finally leaked out all of it's fluid so we had to push it in to the lift for inspection.
    It's a very solid, 72,000 km, all original (except for a 20+ year repaint), rust free car that's been in LA since the mid 70's. I bought it, but unfortunately, that same mechanic I hired to do the inspection spent 3+ months doing 2 weeks worth of repairs (shocks, ball joints and boots, slave cylinder, valve cover gaskets, radiator hoses, fluids, air tank) and still had not resolved some other annoying issues: bad steering box and then an unexpected overheating problem, which only came to light after 2+ months in his care.
    After 3+ months I had it hauled to Dan Molnar in Palm Springs where I had him install a power steering unit and replace the anemic radiator fans with dual Spal fans with a custom shroud. He then found that the original alternator was not working to capacity and this Mexico's date with Concorso was only 2 days away.
    So I had Dan haul the car to Monterey where I drove it Friday afternoon for the first time, for all of 30 minutes. The clutch did not engage until the pedal was 90% released, and the brakes pulled to the right, so it was hairy to drive in stop and go traffic. There were some other misc. issues, but those were the most frustrating. I drove the car to Concorso on Friday evening for early placement. It did drive nicely on PCH, doing 125 km, and the trans shifted smoothly, but the smell of gas fumes with the windows rolled up was disappointing. The a/c was repaired by the first mechanic and Dan made some final adjustments to get it working well.
    As I stated, my only intention in buying this Mexico was to get the feel and experience of a Mexico so I could decide how enjoyable of a car it is, and how invested I wanted to become in the pursuit of restoring the first one.
    The next morning I decided to see if I could sell it at Concorso. I did and it's on it's way to Driver Source in Houston. Happier motoring to the next owner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
  3. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    $97k?!?

What are they smoking?

There were around 3 of these in solid running and well maintained condition that went for around $50-60k last year. 3 years ago there was one in need of restoration for $20k... That's quite an appreciation. There was also the 1968 silver over black LA car shown on BAT for $50k that later turned up in NY for sale at $75k, no work done at all, all in the interest of flipping.

I guess it's a sellers market right now.

4. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Not sure these dealers are smoking anything, but they certainly seem to be sucking each other's tail pipes. Mexico #068 was flipped last week from Driver Source to Gullwing.
    The automatic Mexico that sold at auction in Burbank a few weeks ago was also flipped by the dealer who bought it to another dealer, that same day. They only thing that's going up in smoke are the price points we thought we knew.

5. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Its business as usual. Thats how the professionals work with cars, flip it, overprice it, give it to another dealer, etc. Especially now that this is the centennial year and Maserati is getting a bit more attention, suddenly prices have sky-rocketed.

Mind you, just because the prices have gone up, it doesn't mean that anyone is actually buying that high...

I think it is best to wait for 2014 to pass before buying something related to Maserati, when prices have come back down.

6. cj900ss

cj900ss Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    I am actually interested in buying a Mexico. Does any of you Guys have a car or know of a car which is for sale. The car does not have to be perfect, I am also interested in restoration projects, I do want them to be pretty complete.
    I am NOT a handler and live in Belgium, so a car in Europe would be easier but importing one from the states or elsewhere is also a possibility.

Hope to hear from you soon...!!!

7. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #182 luvcoupes, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    What about this Mexico #068 that is currently offered for $97.5K/74k euros, but could probably purchase for less?
    How does this price compare to what you find in Europe? It is absolutely rust free and has ps.
    1967 Maserati Mexico -

8. cj900ss

cj900ss Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    #068 appears to have Some flaws which need to be checked (read above), who knows what this Might cost extra... Therefore I think it is a dangerous gamble.
    Do you think otherwise?

9. Falta125

Falta125 Karting

Mar 11, 2012
    Anyone interested in the Mexico at Gull Wing Motorcars can contact me, i worked on the car a couple of weeks ago. Dan 760-363-7448 Please before 9;00 PM PST

10. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    cj900ss: "The car does not have to be perfect, I am also interested in restoration projects"…

You might want to rethink your definition of restoration projects; perhaps you meant light cosmetic work. A car is only "dangerous" when it has hidden issues like rust and rot. Everything else is just mechanical repairs, paint, and interior.

11. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Over €100k for a Mexico?

''La Bella Macchina'' in Ettlingen

The other Masers there (QP1, several Indys, etc) seem optimistically priced, but nowhere near the Mexico.

My German isn't very good, maybe this is a historically significant car?

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Nothing special at all about this Mexico, advertised as an original and unmolested car. Well, the prices for good Mexicos are growing slowly but surely into 6 figure Euroland over here. I don't mind, my restauration will be worth it then.... It seems like everybody and their brothers want to buy Mexicos right now :)

CU lbird

13. cj900ss

cj900ss Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    I know that the car was for sale a week ago for 80000€...

14. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    #189 mamamia, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Hi,

My friend owns a beautiful Maserati Mexico, complete with Borrani chrome wire wheels, which he can’t fully enjoy due to a problem with the brakes.

The discs and pads, which were bought from a reputable Maserati workshop, are new.

The brake pads seem to heat up very quickly and there is a very strong whistling sound every time he brakes. The sound is so strong that he is now reluctant to use the car in the city, as he finds it most embarrassing.

They told me that the modern brake pads are made of a different material compared to the old ones.

Any thoughts please ?

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #190 Mexico074, Jan 25, 2015
    Hello fellow Mexico owners...

I Was going through some stuff in my garage and came across the
    following air filter housing. This one was installed on my Mexico
    when I bought it. There was no filter in it however. Does anybody recognize
    this? It is apparently French, as it indicates it is made by Permatic,
    and shows a Paris address.. Any help would be appreciated. I would
    probably reuse it if I could find filters for it...

FYI: I did replace it with a more original one...

Thanks in advance...

Mike

16. GI47

GI47 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    #191 GI47, Jul 29, 2016
    Hi Wilde, I love the red. Just bought AM112 122. The car will get a few cosmetic makeovers and will be ready in September.
    It is in your register with very little information on the history. I did get some Background from Walter and hope to be able to find out more about his past life. Would be fantastic if anybody could help.

I attach some pics for your register. It is located now in Hamburg, Germany.

Stephan

17. GI47

GI47 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    #192 GI47, Jul 29, 2016
  18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Congratulations!

Looks like a solid and well kept car. Is red its original colour?

19. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hi Stephan,
    nice find, taste and colours are not always the same. I don't like red Maserati... Walter gave me the informations about your car. Did you try to contact Alga company ?
    By the way, did you contact Fabio Collina from Maserati Classiche to order your original build sheet ?
    As you can see the registry grow up rapidly, now, near 50% of the production is located. Some examples are seriously restored.

Best Regards
    Charles

20. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Stephan...

Congratulations on your Mexico! She looks great...

Mike

21. GI47

GI47 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

Thanks, just e mailed to Maserati Classiche - so work in progress...

Best regards

Stephan

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

22. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #197 The Surveyor, Aug 6, 2016
  23. The Surveyor