Miami Vice Testarossa | FerrariChat

Miami Vice Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by fury58, Nov 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fury58

fury58 Rookie

Jan 28, 2017
    Hello friends, I havent been on Ferrari Chat in a long time with everything going on in this world today, but
    anyway I had been following the news and the events leading up to the sale of the Testarossa at Barrett- Jackson in 2017. I also tracked it down after the auction at a dealer in Georgia. It was for sale but no asking
    price just sealed bids. After a few months the Testarossa i was told in an email was sold. If i remember correctly
    the car was sold just before spring of 2017 , but i am not positive . So my question is does anybody out there
    know where the Miami Vice Hero Car ended up or who purchased it ? I would like to hear any input to this story. Thank you !

Parnelli likes this.
  2. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I would like to know who bought it as well.

A guy by the name of Rich Adams bought it at the BJ auction January 2017. He posted on F-chat after buying it but I can not remember his handle.

He listed in Dupont Registry a few months after he bought it.

I contacted him that May and again on July 17th, 2017 about buying it. He would not list a price which was a bit frustrating :(

He was only going to accept sealed bids and the highest bidder would get the car. Final sale price was going to be kept confidential
    "for buyer privacy".

3. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
  4. fury58

fury58 Rookie

Jan 28, 2017
    Parnelli , thank you for the info hopefully we can get some where by getting this topic out there and finding out part two of this
    mystery !

5. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe the car was sold out of the country.

6. fury58

fury58 Rookie

Jan 28, 2017
    You know what gets me is that he bought that famous Ferrari Testarossa that sold hundreds of units to the u.s in the 80s and 90s
    due to the hit tv show and Don Johnson and in 2017 buys it for less or equal value at that time to any other Testorassa out there !
    I watched that auction from home that night and i could not believe what i had just seen . First of all i should have registered to bid but i didnt thinking that the car would sky rocket thru the roof , second of all if you remember that night they ran that car thru the auction so late and so quick off the stage with hardly anybody there that nobody looked like they knew what was going on ! I seen that Rich Adams on the stage as the car was going thru and it looked like to me that he thru a Hell Mary pass threw out a bid and the hammer dropped ! I mean god bless him he didnt waste any time , I Think he was as shocked as hell as was I and everybody else . To this day i feel that something fishy was going on with BJ and to the auctioning off of that car. Its like BJ didnt believe or want to be held responsible to the proviedence of one of the most famous tv cars of all time !

Parnelli likes this.
  7. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    EXACTLY!!!

I watched the auction live on TV and was so pissed after the sale that I could not even sleep that night :)

I spoke to Rich after the sale. He was as shocked as everybody else was.

BJ screwed up the sale and he realizes that he was just in the right place at the right time. I guess the seller went BALLISTIC when the hammer gaveled down!! Seller was under the impression that the car would bring $400K plus (it got bid up to $350K at a previous auction but did not meet reserve).

Now that i think about it PineChris is right, the car went overseas

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/ferrari/miami-vice-1986-ferrari-testarossa-sale/

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I followed that saga here too, I think it went to europe.

I believe the owner who found it (claimed) turned down an offer of $750K then it sold at BJ for $100k or $200K?

9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
  10. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes sadly I was at the auction and saw the car, but didnt hang around to bid on it after seeing all the crazy prior ads for it at around 1 Million dollars. When I found out it sold so low I kicked myself. Truth be told the car was pretty rough though.

11. fury58

fury58 Rookie

Jan 28, 2017
    Do you guys think that the Miami Vice TR will come out of hiding and once again be at auction soon or do we have a way to go yet Also do you think the popularity of the show will be greater or lesser in years to come , especialy with the mullienials ? Or just be as popular with us 80s guys because we lived it ? like to hear your thoughts on this

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IMHO the car would have resurfaced by now if it was going to be resold. It's most likely in a private collection that wants to keep it private. As for the popularity of the show, no millennials wont care, that car and show is only important to people like myself +/-50 who watched the show in person in our formative years ;)

13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I agree on both. And, yeah, anybody age 40 or less today doesn't give a crap about that show. They have no idea how transformative and iconic the show was.

14. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Sonny and Rico were the best !!!!

15. fury58

fury58 Rookie

Jan 28, 2017
    I totally agree . You had to live in 80s to appreciate the 80s . thats a decade i will never forget ! Today nothing changes except the
    I phone and X BOX . I wish they would invent time travel soon so i can go back . I would be Doc Browns first customer !

Parnelli likes this.
  16. fury58

fury58 Rookie

Jan 28, 2017
    But you never know Christine has been at auction and sold four times since 2015 . That was another car in hiding that everybody was looking for . It sold again this year for 295.000 dollars !

17. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    the 'Vice TR is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Christine!!!

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Or anybody not American;) it wasn’t as popular in Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    [QUOTE="Natkingcolebasket69, post: 147589938, member: 209539"[;) it wasn’t as popular in Europe.......
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

.....and yet it sold to Europe"........o_O

20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Wow just now seeing this thread. So they shill bidded it all the way up to 600 grand at mecum back in 2015 and then of course the "reserve wasn't met"

Now we learn that this car quietly sold for 150?

2015 was pure insanity in the collector car market. Kaboom.

21. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan