Michael Andretti to acquire Force India?!? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Michael Andretti to acquire Force India?!?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Jun 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Why would McLaren do that?
    They could not run their own chassis...

Nobody would be dumb enough to do that.

Never had wife problems? Count yourself lucky.

He is a back-marker now, and would be even worse in F1.

2. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Whoever mentioned that he'd only buy it to get Marco in to F1. Nope, not going to happen and I think that no matter how much pride Mario and Michael have in Marco, neither think he'll get to F1. To get into F1 you need a Superlicence. To get a Superlicence you need to accumulate 40 qualifying points over the prior three years. There are only about 40 people who qualify for a Superlicence in that world at any one time. I think from Indy car only Newgarden, Pagennaud, Dixon, Power and possibly Castronevis qualify right now. Maybe JPM as he had one in the past, but I think it's been too long.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    SHOW ME THE MONEY

Otherwise Andretti racing should shut up and stop floating this joke of an idea.

In fact if anyone should buy Force India in the US it would be Haas. Pick the bones and take the best people out.

If Force India closes shop (and a lot of F1 teams have over the years), you get it all for a lot less money if you already have an F1 team.

rdefabri and william like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What possible incentive is there for Gene Haas to buy FI? He already has an entry, facilities and an organization in place. He can just try to recruit the talent from FI as will every other team.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    None.. which is my point also. It's ridiculous. So, we agree here.

But other F1 teams have bought assets from failed F1 teams and picked up the best people. Its not uncommon.

IMO Force India is hoping for a major auto maker like Mercedes to make them a B team.

william and 375+ like this.
  6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they ran a spec car in the 500 last year and it didn't bother them.

McLaren is no longer (just) an engineering company. it's about branding. some speculation is they'd run the IndyCar team through the GT car division to help sell cars here.

william and Etcetera like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Honda of course:D

tifoso2728 likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... that's how Zak Brown thinks McLaren is. And I think this is what is fueling the internal disagreements inside McLaren. Engineering excellence in racing is being replaced by "branding". Brown feels the average joe doesn't know the difference and over time, the purists will eventually fall in line.

And he has a point. Look at Indy when they ran a repainted Andretti car. Who got the credit? Andretti or McLaren?

greg328 likes this.
  9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Isn't there some historical revision going on re Michael Andretti? He tried to be a, more or less, 'arrive and drive' F1 racer. How could he even have time to get homesick? He also was sarcastic about the food, saying he didn't like Europe because, ex., he couldn't get a cheeseburger in 'gay Paree'(Andretti's words).

I can't see Michael Andretti involved in F1; he can't(er, couldn't) either. :)

william and 375+ like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You just can't erase that "Gay Puree" quote once you've read it?:eek: To his credit he did get a podium finish(3rd) in his last F1 race(Monza).

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The fact is, it was all about Alonso. The whole "McLaren-Andretti Autosport" thing was a footnote to most fans. In essence then, Zak Brown is probably right.

375+ likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

If Stroll thinks the press and F1 fans are against him, he has nothing on what happened to Michael Andretti. That was brutal.

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And what really drove it home was his replacement, Mika Hakkinen, was immediately quicker and ultimately successful.

william, stever and 375+ like this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Michael did a half-ass job of F1. He was gifted one of the most coveted seats in racing but didn't commit to F1 with every fiber of his being. He just didn't want it badly enough.

lorenzobandini and william like this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Can't say I disagree. He also didn't help himself with the press. And McLaren also sunk his ship by releasing leaks. But it was really brutal.

375+ likes this.
  16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i love mario, but no great fan of michael.... BUT i would love to see another american team in F1.
    with american drivers - rossi, marco, etc.

17. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I would too. I was excited about Haas upon inception, but the concept and reality of an American F1 team are drastically different. If it happens, maybe an Andretti Autosport F1 team would put more of an American face not just in ownership but in drivers too. Michael has softened up quite a bit from his driver's days, his Dad says he's become a workaholic, 12 hour days, 7 days a week.

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    michael just disappointed me for so many reasons, not least of which he was a spoiled cry baby.

19. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Micheal's own personal decisions aside, you don't buy into that old rumored story that Bernie in some way gave orders to McLaren to not necessarily give Michael good equipment to throw water on the fire that was Indycar at that time.

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    did i say those words?
    no.
    what i said was i never liked his attitude.
    is dad was my hero as a kid, and fought for everything he ever got in life with grit and determination and class.

his son was a petulant cry baby who said stupid **** all the time, and then flying home every other day, instead of driving fast.

BUT, i would overlook my past disgust with him IF he bought an F1 team and made something out of it.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I blame HAAS for that. Why they keep Grosjean and not put in Rossi is beyond me. And "American team" with no Americans? American in name only...

Marco... forget it.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Let's put it that way: I never let a woman become a problem to me ...

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #48 william, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Michael Andretti and Mika Hakkinen were both signed early by McLaren as drivers for that year.
    Ayrton Senna made up his mind, and decided to rejoin McLaren, having failed to get the seat he wanted (at Williams, I think). Ron Dennis didn't hesitate!
    So Ron Dennis had now 3 drivers under contract for only 2 cars!! Cruel dilemma …
    His solution was to give Andretti's testing periods to Hakkinen, depriving the American of time to acclimatise to the car, etc...
    So, Michael Andretti started the season already on the back foot. That must be said in his defense.
    The comparison with Senna wasn't in his favour, whilst the team noted that Hakkinen lap times in testing sessions improved all the time.
    That must have demoralised Michael, and added to his refusal to relocate full time in UK (for reasons I didn't know then) pushed him to curtail his F1 experience.

24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And meanwhile, what must have further stoked the fires of frustration in Michael's mind, Nigel Mansell comes over, takes over his seat at Newman-Haas racing and dominates to win the CART championship!

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are right there.

What Mansell accomplished that year in CART left me speechless., more than his WDC, I must say
    He was never one of my favourite drivers (too much whining).