Michael Schumacher tribute thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Michael Schumacher tribute thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Oct 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We, the public minions, are a hard lot to please. We love to build up our heroes, we want them to be perfect in every way, and we leap at the chance to tear them apart. I'm glad that it was mentioned how Michael is the all-time lap leader, thus the dearth of overtaking. Go back to the early 90s and you can see plenty of footage of him dicing with that era's greats. I've been critical of Michael at times, but I like to think it was at times when he deserved it. And think about this: when was the last time you can remember Michael complaining about being mis-treated?

Top-tier athletes, while impressive as they are, are still a dime a dozen. For every F1 driver there are many, many more capable of filling the bill. But Michael Schumacher is a member of that rarest club of transcendent competitors--Jordan, Woods, Pele, etal.--and whether you love him, hate him, or just can't decide, we should all feel grateful that we'll be able to tell our kids and grandkids that we saw greatness with our own eyes.

Enjoy your retirement, Michael. You've deserved it. And thanks for all the memories!

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    oh...i never knew this. i learn something new everyday. thanx Ron.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

4. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was fortunate enough to see The Man when I attended the inaugural USGP at Indy in 2000. At that point in his career he was clearly superior to the rest of the field, but it wasn't until I watched him during Friday practice that I fully understood his genius.

During the afternoon session on Friday, my buddy and I sat at the end of the pit straight/braking zone for turn 1. As each and every car approached the corner (Hakkinen included), they would start braking at the 100 meter mark, lap after lap. The only exception to this was Michael who braked at 80 meters. When he did it the first time we looked at each other and thought it was an anomaly, or that we heard his car wrong. But he did every lap of that session as we sat there. As someone who road-raced competitively many moons ago, I can say that a 20% shorter braking distance is HUGE. In the modern era of carbon brakes and relative parity amongst cars, it is something that I still struggle to comprehend six years later.

5. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Dang i missed that part... anyone have it?

6. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, i remember, back in 2002. Malaysian GP. he and JPM tangled in the 1st corner, and he had to come back to the pits to change his nose cone. from there, the schumi magik started.

lap after lap, he chased chased and overtook and overtook. by the last lap, he overtook Jenson, then in a Benetton, to take 3rd place. i'm proud to see my hero in action.

7. Estranged

Estranged Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    LA
    I can recall a couple years ago I use to keep a picture of MS sitting in his Ferrari and facing straight into the picture. I always thought about the immense focus and determination a racer must go through during that moment before the pedal is to the floor. I always turned to it when I was facing hard challenges.

Michael gave it 100% when he was at the bottom and 100% when he was on top.

The last race to me was a perfect ending and really showed who Michael really is. If Alono's car gave out and Massa gave way to let Michael to his 8th WDC, it would have just been another win and championship. Howver, try to imagine the type of character needed to have a blown out engine, a broken fuel pump and a flat tire during a final championship deciding race and still push as hard and strong as Michael did. To me, the pass on Fisi on the final laps of the race was more meaningful than the 8th WDC. He began the race trying to overtake Fisi and ended up in last. In the end, he came back and passed him.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    In the words of Mike Hawthorne 1958 Wold Champion for Ferrari:

"Why did you retire sounds much better than why don't you retire"

In my mind Jackie Stewart was the last person to retire on top. World Champion or not, Michael Schumacher finished his carreer within a breath of the championship, in demand, and on top of his game. Almost all drivers are forced into retirement for a number of reasons (no competitive drive's available, past thier best, unmotivated, etc.) Schumacher avoided all these pitfalls and is retiring with a great deal of class and grace.

I will miss watching his doing of the impossible however I take even greater pleasure in knowing that he left the sport healthy, happy, and at the top.

9. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    I have been watching sports for 50 years and have seen 3 athletes that are, in my mind, easily the best that there has ever been at what they did. They are (in order of earliest retirement):

1. Sandy
    2. Wayne
    3. Michael (and I don't mean Jordan!)

Say no more!

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Ron,

I have it Tivo'd Haven't watched it yet. If you can explain to me how to record to DVD or VCR from Tivo I can make you a copy.

Send me a PM.

Simon

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Thanks Mike, it's been great! :D

12. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Gracie Mille Michael. I wish you and your family all the best.

13. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  14. TifosiF2002

TifosiF2002 Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    " macker " what my 2 year old triplets call schumacher will be missed dearly !!!!

15. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    "Overthe" is his first name ;-)

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name: