Michelin on the front of a 355 | FerrariChat

Michelin on the front of a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by lotusk, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    For the rear of my 355 i can buy the correct spec oem Michelin super sports...265/40 18"......101Y.

The fronts i can only find super sports 225/40 18"......88Z.....
    The oem spec is 225/40 18" .......92Y .

Am i ok to put the 88Z's on the front?

Need to be concerned or no worries?

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    I just checked this and Tire Rack pairs the correct 92 to the 101. In stock.

3. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    I am not in the USA

4. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Go with 295 35 rears and 235 40 fronts in Pilot sport 2 not super sports

5. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Pilot Sport 2’s have been replaced with super sports.

Want oem specs only

6. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    They have both here in the USA/Canada

7. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Old stock then

8. bryn_p

bryn_p Rookie

Jun 3, 2008
    West Lancs, UK
    I had this problem last year and put Super Sports on the rear and PS3 on the front.

I'd love Super Sports on the front but couldn't find anyone in the US who'd ship them to me.

Cheers,
    Bryn.

9. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    I'm putting super sports all round

Oem spec except the fronts are 88Z instead of 92Y

Whatever that means
    Nobody here seems to know

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The number is the load rating. 88 mean max load is 1235 lbs. 92 means max load is 1389 lbs. Y and Z are speed ratings. Z being higher speed.

11. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Ta Grumps

U reckon 88Z on the front 225/40 super sports are good?

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I really would not want to recommend what you do but I personally would not worry about it. My car has 91Y's on the front and 97Y's on the rear. Tire Rack lists P zeros as OEM with 88Y fronts and 97Y rear. They also list the Super Sport as 92Y and 101Y, respectively. Super Sport

13. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    This whole tyre thing is way messy.

Michelin should just have in stock in europe the tyres they list they produce.

The super sports i am buying come from france and were made in week 36 last year.
    No where has 2014 tyres.

Pathetic
    Ripped again

14. bryn_p

bryn_p Rookie

Jun 3, 2008
    West Lancs, UK
    Although I think it's unlikely, if you had to make an insurance claim and they discovered your front tyes had an inadequate load rating your insurance could be invalidated.

I personally don't see how the front of an F355 can require more than an 88 load rating but I was going on a 2500 mile trip round Europe immediately after fitting my new tyres and didn't want any potential problems.

Totally agree about Michelin though, how they can sell the 92Y Super Sports in the US and not Europe makes no sense at all to me. I'd even pay a bit extra for a special order but I couldn't find a way to do that either.

Cheers,
    Bryn.

15. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Try Discounted Wheel Warehouse. That's where I got my Michelin Pilot Super Sports for both the front and rear in the exact correct OEM sizes. They have great prices too.

16. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    I'm in europe

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's not messy, people just way over think it. The 88y's are fine. It would be a bigger issue to mix and match tires like somebody mentioned above, and even then not a huge deal. I also don't get people having to have stock sizes, do you want the car to not handle better for some reason?

18. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Ok bob

Calm down

19. bryn_p

bryn_p Rookie

Jun 3, 2008
    West Lancs, UK
    Yes having a slightly different tread pattern front to rear is clearly a bigger issue than invalidating your insurance with an inadequate load rating!

It cracks me up when people come out with this... you are aware that the front and rear wheels perform a different function right? Fair enough you say it's not a huge deal, but in reality it's not an issue at all... apart from on internet forums.

Cheers,
    Bryn.

20. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Personally I don't get why anyone would want to NOT have the stock sizes, but each to their own. What evidence is there that the car handles better with larger tyres?

Seeing someone mentioned insurance, what are the consequences of having non-stock tyre sizes in the event of a claim?

21. bryn_p

bryn_p Rookie

Jun 3, 2008
    West Lancs, UK
    I think it depends on what country you're in, but certainly in the UK say you were out on a Ferrari meet and crashed in to someone's F40 and had a claim in the hundreds of thousands, the insurance assessor is going to look very closely for a way out of paying that and incorrect load rating on your tyres would be a valid reason. Even for a claim in the tens of thousands this would probably apply.

However I personally think (based on zero legal knowledge!) that unless the accident was caused by a failure of a tyre with the incorrect load rating, the insurer would have a hard time arguing in court that it was a contributing factor that they could reject the claim upon.

That's just my take on it, yes it's an unlikely scenario but far from beyond the realms of possibility.

Cheers,
    Bryn.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #22 johnk..., Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    I have to ask, where did this so called OEM load ratings come form? The manuals for the 95, 97 and 98 only specify 225/40ZR18 front and 265/40ZR 18 rear. There is no mention of load rating. OEM are listed at Bridgstone Expida S-01, Michelin Pilot SX MXX3, Pirelli P Zero, or Good Year GS Fiorano. Of those tires the only ones still available are Pirelli P Zeros which are 88Y front, 97Y rear.

And here is another thought. Tire Rack lists and sells at least two sets of tires rated 88 front, 97 rear, for this car. If there were any legal issues due to substandard load rating then you can bet TR would not be selling them due to potential liability issues. I think this thread is just blowing smoke when it comes to load ratings.

And let's not forget about those who think they need 19 or 20 inch wheels and tires to make their cars "look good".

23. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You make a good point. My manual says the same - nothing about load rating.

Just out of interest I went and looked at my tyres: they are 92Y front, 101Y rear.
    I'm running Bridgestone RE050A

Regarding insurance, I suspect you'd have more of potential problem running non-standard sizes than non-standard load ratings.

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The weight of a 355 is way under the load rating of either tire so it's a complete non factor.

A different load rating that is still well above the load the car will put on it will affect handling a lot less than a tire with different tread and compound front vs rear.

You could run into insurance issues by running the wrong speed rating and having a tire failure after running the tires above that speed. Other than that unless you're running a load rating inadequate for the weight of the car (almost impossible given the relatively light weight of the 355, especially in the front) sizes don't matter much or everyone running aftermarket rims/tires would be voiding their insurance.

You can go by whatever you feel like, but people tend to over think tire sizing for these cars. I know, I've tried a few different sizes without issue and the far bigger influence on handling is tire age and pressures.

Fwiw, the challenge cars ran 235f/295r and I doubt they would have if it wasn't better for handling.

25. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #25 Steve355F1, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think I found the answer.

This is the sticker on the inside of my driver's door.

In case it's hard to see it says the front load rating should be at least 88 and rear 97.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login