Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 | FerrariChat

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Anyone have any experience of these?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Roughly equivalent to the P Zero Corsas that came with HGTC 575Ms, but much better as an all around tire with a reasonable wear index and some wet weather capability. Rears only start with 5.5/32 of tread depth, so will not last too long. Only available for 19" wheels on Maranellos.

3. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    have driven them on many vehicles.

there is a lot of grip. it is a r-comp tire. not really suitable in heavy rain. loud. shorter tread life, yada yada... perfect for a Ferrari that's only driven less than 5k miles per year, and rarely see rain.

its dry grip is all over the place though, it is spec'ed to many manufacturers. Some of them are crazy grippy, close to low end Hoosier (but not quite). but some are just okay, on a level of high performance 200tw tires, like RE71r and Rival S. Certain sizes will come in 2 different compounds.

there is another tire, PSC2-R. this originally came on GT2-RS. it comes in 2 sizes only. This is on par as Hoosier. I've never driven this, only heard of the legend. Porsche engineers claim this tire is 6+ seconds faster around the Ring !!! that's fast.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have Cup 2’s on my Speciale....I will say that in the wet, grip is real sketchy - actually did a 180 in the wet.
    I have 4S’s on my 16M and love them. They are a bit more all purpose, all season and better in the wet vs. Cup 2’s.

Sent from my 16M

Bas likes this.
  5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Right! Thank you. The 19 inch thing resolves it for me, because I don't have those wheels. Which has save me a lot of pondering time!

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Okay, thank you… Unfortunately looks like I have the wrong wheels, but very interesting to get this detailed insight

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's a very insightful comparison. If you had to have one type on both cars, which would you choose? I have 4Ss on my AMG but that is a car driven in all weathers. The Ferraris are only driven hard in the dry.

8. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    If you want grip and do not care about treadlife (most Ferrari change tires due to age), noise. Then go with extreme performance (what tirerack calls them). RE71R, Rival S and few others. Sports Cup 2 is more of a track tire that’s streetable.

That said. New generation of 200tw (RE71r and Rival s) matches PSC2 in dry grip and a bit more street friendly. PS4S is what Tirerack calls “max performance” tire, that’s a step down in dry grip. But last a lot longer and is better in heavy rain. PS4s is what I run in few of my family cars.

There is a new king of 200tw tires. Yoko a052. Only available to up to 18”. The fastest of “street” tires.