Michelin tires for 550 (in Europe) | FerrariChat

Michelin tires for 550 (in Europe)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SM550, May 21, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    I am in the process of replacing the ten year old rubber on my stock wheels.
    I would love to use Michelins but as it seems we can now neither get complete sets of PS4/PS5 nor PSS.
    PS4/PS5 are only available for the front (235/45R18) and the PSS only for the rear (295/35R18).

Any ideas or sources - especially from fellow European 550 owners?

Thanks for your input.
    Stefan

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Continentals would be my next choice. PS4 and PS5 are not really suitable for Ferraris. Here in the US, we can still get MPSS tires in Maranello 18" sizes. Unfortunately, Michelin does not make PS4S tires in 18" Maranello sizes. Keep your fingers crossed for the new PS S5 Michelins. Right now, only available in huge sizes for new supercars.

3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Ha ha ha OK Terry you beat me to it but you know I love Continental. That’s all I’ve ever used on my 550.:)

4. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    Thanks for your input guys. Seems that Continentals are also not available.
    Probably will have to go with P Zeroes...

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Unlucky. Maybe have MPSS shipped from the US?

6. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Here in the UK there seems to be even less choice.

You could get Potenza's front and rear but they seem to have dried up, only rears I can typically find are Pirelli P0s, though did find some Michelin PS2s recently. I was naïvely thinking it would be easier on the Continent and was thinking I may need to go a trip and get some tyres while there!

If others are facing the same issue any ideas on how to resolve it? Lobbying the manufacturers, organising a group buy??? Or indeed a shipment from US...

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    How about finding a place in Europe close to the Chunnel exit and driving and getting new tires?

8. TwoMinds

TwoMinds Rookie

Jan 3, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    Colin Campbell
    Same problem for me in the UK earlier this year. Michelin and Continental not available in the required sizes, so had to go with P Zeros.

9. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    Really seems a bit strange having to re-import European tires from the US

It's a shame we almost can't get any high performance tires for our tiny 18" wheels anymore.

10. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    P Zeros work pretty well on my XKR but I was hoping I can avoid them on the Ferrari... oh my

11. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    I am very pleased with the Yokohamas currently available (V103 and V105) in our tyre sizes. I chose these as there was no Michelin available at the time, and have no regrets. They work very well with the traction control too. I will try the Michelins when the Yokos wear out but I can vouch for the Yokos if sourcing Michelins proves too difficult.

12. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    Thank you for all your input gentlemen!

After long hours of research I managed to buy a set of Michelin PSS in Germany.
    The fronts are 255/40 (not 235/45) - but in fact the Pirellis that have been on the car for almost ten years have the same dimensions.

Cheers Stefan

TwoMinds likes this.
  13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    OEM fronts were either 255/40 18 or 235/45 18 for the 550, but only 255/40 18 for the 575M, so you did well.

SM550 likes this.
  14. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    There are three different versions of PSS 255/40-18.
    255/40 ZR18 (95Y)
    255/40 ZR18 (99Y) XL
    255/40 ZR18 (99Y) XL MO1

95Y seems to be more commonly available in Europe than other two. 95 = 1521 pounds/690 kilos and 99 = 1709/775 load bearing limit. XL for 550 so its not much help.

Continental Extreme Contact S02 available in US don't seem to be sold in Europe at all.

Current situation isn't good but hopefully Michelin starts to do new design like PSS5 soon to replace PSS.

Themaven and SM550 like this.
  15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Vilhuer, what would you recommend for a 550 or 575 on 18s, of these options?

16. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Stefan,

if you put Michelin 255 at the front, you will probably fail the TÜV, as according to the registration paper they should be 235 with this brand. The 255 are OK with other brands, like Pirelli.
    And if the person inspecting your car misses this (which they don't in Munich), you would still be driving a car that is not road legal.
    For this silly reason I ended up putting 235 PS5 at the front and 295 PSS at the back. They still perform better than the Pirellis I always had in the past.

Stefano

17. SM550

SM550 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Germany
    Thank you for those insights Stefano!

I very hope I will not have to go with the "Frankenstein" solution of mixed front and rear tires. But, yes probably that is a better solution than Pirellis still.

Stefan

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stefano- How does he fail TUV when 255/40 18 was one of the OEM sizes for the 550?

Plus, there is no way I would mix the general purpose PS5 tires with the Ultra High Performance PSS tires. Could result in some squirrelly handling, especially in the wet.

19. maranello72

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    The user's manual specifies 235 for Michelin and 255 for all other brands. This is the information that the germans introduced in their system. On my registration paper only the combination 235/295 is entered as the car was originally sold with Michelins, but there is also a code which the inspectors use in their system to see other possible combinations (this lookup takes them ages, while the car just stands there idling, very irritating). They will not allow 255 Michelin front tyres.
    I have driven in rain with no problems, but of course I don't push the car in such conditions.
    I am happier with this combination than with Pirellis, but I agree it's not nice to see so if I ever sell the car I'll switch back to Pirellis.

Stefano

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stefano- Those 235/45 18 Michelin tires are no longer available and the data is over 25 years old. Sounds like a really archaic system to me. Someone would have to be really silly to enforce it when 255/40 18s were an alternate size and available as modern replacements.

21. 066/8

066/8 Karting

Sep 29, 2023
    Stefano,

if the tire specification is listed in the EC type approval of your car, you can mount any tire in that specification, no matter which brand it is.

So if they tell you that you can run 255 yokos, but not 255 michelins (with sufficient speed and load indices), I'd reckon that they are breaking the law.

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I am no fan of P Zeros but I would take them over PS5s for a Ferrari. P Zeros are at least ultra high performance stiff sidewall tyres. MPSS better of course, and what I have currently, but if they are not available, my next tyre change will see P Zeros. To confirm, are there really no other good matching tyres for all 4 corners in the UK/Europe for our cars? What about semi-slicks?

Interestingly I have driven a few supercars on the road on P Zero Corsas. Ferrari media cars come with them as standard. These are for me much better tyres than P Zeros. Not great for the cold and wet, but I tend to drive my 575 in summer only. Quite a firm ride but I am not sure how much firmer than standard P Zeros, and just in a different league.

Maybe Michelin is losing interest in ultra high performance as it's a niche, much higher volume in making PS5s for big fast SUVs and electric cars.

23. maranello72

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    I have been to the registration office in Munich to discuss the issue and was told that changes are not "foreseen". Archaic is indeed the right term here!

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    In addition to my above post..I recently had an Audi RS4 press car, and remember feeling that it was on particularly good tyres for fast summer driving. They felt stiffer than PS4Ss (their only failing for me) and much better all round than P Zeros. On checking, they turned out to be P Zero Corsas.

An RS4 and a Maranello are v different cars but have similarities, same kind of performance, power, weight and ride/handling compromise, and I was surprised they worked so well on this fast touring car. Roundabouts were fun.

I haven't checked if they make them in Maranello size, mind, so this may be a total blind alley in which case apologies.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- The Corsas are effectively race tires for the street. They were standard on some performance version Ferrari models. The Michelin equivalent is their Cup series. Neither is available in 18" Maranello sizes last time I checked.