Michelin tires & soft touch surfaces/buttons are melting - 599 GTB | FerrariChat

Michelin tires & soft touch surfaces/buttons are melting - 599 GTB

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by denfpal, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    1. Can anyone recommend going with the Michelin Super Sports versus the newer Michelin 4S Tires for the 599 GTB - I'm on the fence about which way to go here? I understand that the 4S, in the larger sizes, will be available shortly from Michelin - are they worth waiting for? Also, what does the Ferrari K1 Spec and K2 Spec mean on these Michelin tires? - please advise.

2. The soft touch surfaces and buttons in my 2008 car are starting to melt/liquefy - can't figure out why this is happening especially since the car is kept out of the heat/humidity/sunlight and in an air conditioned garage? Is it possible to treat these surfaces with any type of product that will stop further deterioration? - please advise.

Thank you - Dennis

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

https://stickynomore.com/?ref=FerrariChat

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Dave Rocks is also an advertiser on here and appears to have a very loyal following. So you should check out both.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Most Factory Correct Sticky Refinishing Available
    No Stick-On Decals - All Graphics Laser Etched
    Durable, Mar - Resistant Coatings

www.**********.com dave.lelonek@**********.com

In terms of the the Michelin Super Sports, I can only address it by comparison. I went from PZeros on my 612 to Super Sports. Incredible difference. Really enjoy them on my 612. I had a Mercedes Coupe and went from Super Sports to 4S. It was not a sea change, probably incremental. So just based on this I think the Super Sports are incredible and the 4S are an improvement, but not to die for or to wait for. But when the Super Sports wear out on my 612 I will upgrade to the 4S.

Hope this helps.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    K1s were fitted to the 599 GTO and have reduced tread depth. K2s were fitted to the F12 and have normal tread depth. For street use on a 599 GTB, the K2s are probably more suitable.

5. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
  6. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Thanks for the info - no one in the tire world could explain the differences - much appreciated - Dennis

7. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    I spoke with Michelin and they said the Pilot Sport 4S is in fact incrementally better than the Super Sports with new rubber compounds and improved technology as well. Moreover, the 4S is the replacement tire for the Super Sports and, as such, the SS will be phased out over time - some SS sizes are already out of stock/unavailable. Michelin is now starting to produce the lager size tires in the 4S, and the full line of these tires should be available in the marketplace sometime in or around June of 2019. Not sure if the 4S will be coming out with the Ferrari K1 and K2 Specs? My PZeros are not worn-out; however, they are starting to crack on the sidewalls - the grip is good, but the ride is rather harsh and they tend to be noisy. I'm not in a hurry to replace the PZeros - am more concerned about a blowout/mishap occurring while being out on the road. That being said, think I'll wait for the 4S to come out in the 599 sizes. Thank you - Dennis

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Dennis, just be safe. I had the same issues with my PZeros and I didn’t want to risk anything with all the torque and speed that the Ferrari can produce and so that is why I put on the Super Sports.