Mick Schumacher | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    #1 daytona355, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
    {Separated from the Michael Schumacher thread}

Just as I’m reading the latest here in this thread, on BBC TV this morning Mick Schumacher comes on talking about his F3 win, and how his dad was his idol and he wants to emulate his dads achievement.... good luck Mick, stay safe and do your dad proud. I’d love to see the Schumacher name on the cockpit of another ferrari in a few years and for Mick to get a championship for the Scuderia

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Seems rather less likely. His progress is rather slow.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Some drivers are phenomenal from very early ages and then vanish into oblivion...others don't sgine as much in lower formulas but sudenly start to shine....Mick looks to be a good driver....I'm more worried about Giuliano...

4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Michael went well under the radar leading up to Spa, but he sure as hell came on the scene with a bang

G. Pepper and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    yes he did, a bit like Alesi before his first race at France!

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Under the radar? Wouldn't really call it that given the many wins he had before setting foot into the Jordan.

Agewise they are actually at very similar points in their careers: Mick has now two F3 victories at age 19 whereas Michael was 20 when he had his first two F3 victories. So from that perspective Mick is even a tad ahead.

But what doesn't bode so well is the fact that these days the kids get younger and younger to enter into F1. Other guys are already in a F1 at that age. So we'll see.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sorry, but I don't put much hope on Mick. He is indeed a good driver, but up to now hasn't give a hint of having phenomenal talent like the likes of Verstappen or Lando Norris.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Not many people outside of racing itself had any clue who Michael was though, he was hardly a household name. Several other drivers at the time were expected to be far better in F1 than Michael, but he was the absolute perfect driver and no amount of sports car wins would have indicated the level at which he drove in F1. Sportcars were a piece of piss by comparison to the F1 of the time. If he has a tenth of his dads talent hidden in him, then he will smash most of the current grid of dipsticks and pay drivers..

Bas likes this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    BS

ATBNM3 likes this.
  10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    You are saying people like Ericsson and Hartley, stroll, these morons, have a tenth of michaels talent? Crikey..... never thought I’d see that

Michael has more talent than every one of them on today’s grid, and only two or three are within 50% of michaels talent.... the rest are chicken feed that many other drivers in various formula, given the same monetary advantages, could be there in place of....

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I thought he was helping his son - just what I hears

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    First question would be which Michael are you talking about? The super talent who won championships in the Benetton or the past-his-use-date version who struggled against Nico in a Merc?

Second I do believe that the difference within the drivers on the grid is very small. Small enough to make a difference for becoming WDC vs also-run but not in a hugely measurable way. All F1 drivers are heads and shoulders above the rest of the racing drivers. They are all super talents. So even a Hartley has at least 50% of a multiple WDC's talent. It's probably even higher than that. The rest is learning/experience/luck and maybe 20% of lack of talent compared to the best.

As for comparing MS (in his best days, which was probably around the year 2000) with the best of today's grid: I don't think there is much difference regarding solely talent (there are other factors such as work ethic, experience etc) between him/Hamilton/Vettel and Max.

As for Mick, we'll have to see but my feeling is he falls into the bin of the Scheckter/Lauda/Prost/Piquet juniors rather than the Villeneuve/Hill/Verstappen group.

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Mick Schumacher showing father's genes

AUGUST 29, 2018

Mick Schumacher has the ability to tread in his father's footprints all the way to formula one.

That is the view of F1 legend and now DTM boss Gerhard Berger, who says the 19-year-old son of Michael Schumacher is finally finding his stride in Formula 3.

His tally of wins in the highly competitive European series is now up to 3, with Berger saying he has seen flashes of Michael in his recent driving.

"The guy suddenly shows the Schumacher genes," the Austrian told Auto Bild. "He has developed and is showing some rough edges.

"I hope it goes on like this. Everything is open to him," Berger added. "Everyone would be happy if Mick steps in his father's footsteps."

Schumacher is currently fourth overall in the European F3 championship, with Dan Ticktum leading the standings.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sorry but that's too soon to say that. Mick is in his second year at F3, in the best F3 team, and just now was able to pull his first and second wins. During karting he was good but not great, same can be said during F4 and F3.

ATBNM3 and tifosi12 like this.
  15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What he said. While he is developing nicely, the rate of it is rather slow compared to his competition.

Then again if the MS fans only want to see the name back in F1, that might likely happen: If father Stroll bought an entire team, I'm sure mother Schumacher could buy a seat for him.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I hope he doesn't turn into some sort of Bruno Senna with limited success in F1.

If Mick becomes a champion in next two years in F2, I can see him becoming a Mercedes junior.

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Have you guys been following Mick's F3 career? He's won 6 races this year and is up to 2nd in the championship. Just had a hat trick of wins at the Nurburgring this last weekend.

daytona355, Miha and Bas like this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have to say I haven’t followed him, life is too busy at the moment, but I wish Mick every success.... he does seem to have the makings of a good driver, I hope he has inherited his fathers dedication as well as guile and skill, as without that, the other two are guaranteed to get him to F1

Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I have been a little...Compared to his dad he's not far of in the junior category! Hopefully he'll get picked up by Red Bull/Ferrari in the junior category.

subirg likes this.
  20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Hard not to support Mick. The Ferrari seat is being kept warm for him. He could take Kimis sauber seat in a year or two, prove he can cope with F1, then replace Vettel at Ferrari... :)

daytona355 likes this.
  21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Schumacher now dominating F3

SEPTEMBER 11, 2018

Mick Schumacher is well on his road to formula one.

That is the view of former F1 driver Mika Salo, who thinks it is possible the 19-year-old son of seven time world champion Michael Schumacher is good enough for the pinnacle of motor sport.

Recently, Schumacher leapt into contention for the prestigious European F3 title, after a clean sweep of victories at the Nurburgring round.

Asked why the young German has suddenly started dominating, Salo told Ilta Sanomat newspaper: "It's hard to say.

"It's his second year in the series, but something has happened because he is suddenly faster than the others. No one really knows why that is," he said.

Asked if an opportunity in F1 could present itself soon for young Schumacher, Salo answered: "Why not? If you can drive like that in the lower categories, then you are a good driver."

The more logical next step for Schumacher, however, would be Formula 2.

"I think he's mature enough for Formula 2," F1 legend Gerhard Berger agrees.

"If he does well there, he has a good chance for a formula one career," he said.

22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I more or less have followed Mick since his karting years. I have to say that I am surprised that pulled these 5 wins recently. Before that he did only average in F4 and in karting. I wish he is able to win the chaimpionship over Ticktum.

ATBNM3, of2worlds and daytona355 like this.
  23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I was under the impression he is in the Ferrari academy but I may be wrong

daytona355 likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    uhmmmm...maybe a special big engine dispensation from Jean Todt?;-)

In all seriousness glad that he suddenly is on the winning pace, perhaps due to mental reassessment? I wish him the best.

of2worlds, Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    daytona355 likes this.