Mick Schumacher | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Whaaat? Are you suggesting Mr.Hamilton came partly into F1 because of his ethnic background and the fact that he will access a new followership???
    After all these years where we have learned that he only came to the sport because of his immense talent that shone and that he did it although being black and not beause of if??? I think you dismiss the achievements of Lewis ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Race and potential fan bases has everything to do with a great many things not just in racing but in business in general. I been known to watch boxing on occasion, and Floyd 'money' Mayweather could box a chimpanzee and still get 4 million pay-per-view buys, same goes for Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez. They have such massive fan-followings due to their backgrounds, looks, story in general, that from this they bring capital that changes the shape of the sport and any event in which they participate. For Canelo, he hasn't won his last 2 fights by the numbers, but he was given a draw and a win. Why? The other guy doesn't bring nearly the same mindless mob of people and PPV buys. It really doesn't matter who is better when huge amounts of capital are involved, the question becomes, "who is better for the sport", "who do we need to win to keep this going". The 'best of the best' and 'who is the best on merit and by the numbers' argument is only used when huge money isn't involved.

The most obvious example for F1 is Schumacher in that he brought the German market to F1 when there basically was no German F1 market. Max brings the Dutch in huge numbers as well. That said, Schu was the greatest driver of all-time, and I'm sure Max will be great as well once he goes through some anger management to control his on-track rage. Stroll is bringing a large number of Canadians, and we can't even start on Senna as he is practically a national hero. Now someone tell me, how is F1 viewership doing in Brazil these days hmm???

ATBNM3 and daytona355 like this.
  3. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Err, no.

It's about role models. It would be great if we could get a really good Japanese F1 driver for example. And judging by the behaviour of Japanese supporters at the World Cup*, more Japanese supporters is a very good thing.

* Apparently they helped pickup litter in the stadiums at the end of their games.

william likes this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Why’s that? Black, white, rich, poor, people support winners, not losers, so it makes no ****ing difference to anyone what colour or culture someone is, or indeed if it’s a man or a woman.... I certainly don’t judge my favourite racers by colour or how much cash they have, maybe you do?

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I guess even without the same behaviour liberty would very well welcome a Chinese driver...

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I assume you are not calling me racist? Perhaps you should make that clear?

Anyway, I don't have favourite racers or a favourite team, I just enjoy the sport for the sport.

Role models are important because if kids see someone they can identify with succeeding at something, they are much more likely to think that they could do it too. And the more that try, the better will be the cream that rise to the top.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I didn’t call you a racist, I stated that f1 should not care about race at all... however, you specified a talented black kid from a working class neighbourhood in your example, why couldn’t you have referred just to a talented kid, why did you feel it made more impact being a black kid. I was merely pointing out the double standard when I think the insinuation in your post was that f1, and maybe us here, are racist in supporting the likes of Mick Schumacher and that we shouldn’t support anyone that isn’t a member of a diverse background because if they are rich, they shouldn’t be celebrated. And, of course, the thread is about the Schumacher family

8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    A black kid would be a role model for other black kids. A female would be a role model for other females. A Schumacher is a role model for ...?

How hard is that to grasp?

william likes this.
  9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I sense rising exasperations with one another. I recommend taking a step back and remembering to keep it civil. Nobody wants any reply restrictions or bans.

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ...millions of Ferraristi all over the world!

TifosiUSA, stavura, NEP and 2 others like this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I cannot ever remember any Marshall asking me too confirm my ethnicity before allowing me to race anywhere, nor did any commentators mention the half-zip Italian kid, and his crazy zip fans camped out at the first corner..... I find it hard to believe that people should be pigeonholed by their looks, money or any other facet, they should be judged by their racing. Whether rich or poor, man or woman, if they are good enough to compete in a race, they will get their fans and their fans won’t all be of the same pigeonholed ‘type’ Of people.

Mick could have been an awful racing driver, and never picked up any of his dads talent. It appears he may well have done so though, so we should all be wishing him well in his journey to f1. Ferrarista across the world in their millions will hold him dear if he were to race for the Scuderia, and he will be a role model to all types of people given he is a measured, assured, confident chap without a chip on his shoulder.

I’d imagine some of the detractors here are doing it because when they talk about role models, their favourite driver is the least likely person to be held as a role model given his cheating driving style, lying to stewards, and general nonchalance towards the sport that has made him a king, despite the opportunity he has to give people someone to look up too. Titles and race wins don’t make you a great champion, they make the numbers work, being a great champion is being able to race strongly but fairly, and to demonstrate humility in defeat like Michael in his defeat by Alonso in 2005 and 2006 - the first driver to shake the hand of the new upstart champion despite the close defeats

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Fair comment.

Here we go again. :rolleyes: You complain that virtually every thread is about Hamilton, but you take every opportunity to turn threads into Hamilton discussions, lambaste him, and taunt his fans who - of course - are going to respond, much to your annoyance. Yes, I know someone mentioned different ethnicities as role models earlier, but you didn't have to take the bait.

Can you not see that you're your own worst enemy standing in the way of a less Hamilton-centric F1 forum on FChat? o_O

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Sorry, but when the guys on top were talking about a black kid being a role model for the black kids, who do you think they were talking about... Last time I checked there was no other black kid in the field.... So the thread was already on Lewis even when the name was not mentioned....

stavura, daytona355 and fil like this.
  14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As I said, you don't have to take the bait. I've noticed a pattern where a small reference or tangent, as you might expect to happen for a reigning world champion, gets latched onto by the same small group who run with it, derail the thread, and then lament that every conversation is about Hamilton. If you don't want to talk about Hamilton, then resist the temptation.

See if you can guide the discussion back to Mick Schumacher instead of another senseless round of Michael vs. Lewis as the greater role model or champion. Try...

Hopefully,
    Andrew.

15. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Mick was with his dad when the accident occured, has seen the decline, and had the weight of his dad's name as far as expectations and everything else which comes with that.

For someone facing so much pressure as well as being a teen when the tradegy occured, and getting on with their life, I personally think that Mick is a great role model for people who face adversity and still get on with their lives to achieve their goals.

Surely there is a positive lesson in that.

Best,
    Sammy

16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but if you are saying it is BAIT, then should that be dealt with somehow? Otherwise, surely it would be okay to discuss the scenario as posted? Don’t worry, I can’t be bothered to even go back and remind myself what he said in the first place, so I’m not going to be responding further! Forza Ferrari

TifosiUSA and fil like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  19. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Sorry, that ship has already sailed mate - there are millions of adults and kids that admire Lewis for his on track successes and genuinely dig his persona.

Incidentally I love Lewis (obviously!) but will rooting for Mick to do really well...
    I hope his mid-season surge was something really clicking within him and he can carry that forward into F2/F1...

20. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I really don't think you quite get what a role model is.

21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Then I wonder why his fans come to FcHat to argue so vehemently here trying their best to justify him and try to convince everyone that he isn’t the **** the the rest of the world thinks? They don’t seem as confident in him as you are, or why do it? ;)

fil likes this.
  22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Young lad, almost lost his father, father remains in a very bad medical situation and limited in the help and guidance most fathers try to give their child, has to fight the prejudice of people that didn’t want him to suceed due to his fathers overwhelming success in the sport, proves himself despite the adversity (yeah, he had the money to race, but it could have destroyed him too) and if he gets to f1 and does well, an excellent success story, which can be emulated by other kids that have their childhood turned upside down.

I’ll wager Corrina and the family would gladly give away every penny to have Michael back fit and well, their money is merely a means to give them security and opportunity these days. To be so against a young man forging his way in the sport is ridiculous and shortsighted, and says more about you than it does Mick

23. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Because they don't like seeing greatest (or just people they like) being degraded :cool:...it is exactly the same impulse that causes you to write a response when someone you respect (say Michael for instance) is being attacked.

24. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It says that you don't read what other people write because I have never said I am against him.

25. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It doesn’t come across that way from what you’ve written

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app