Mick Schumacher | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They expect a ferrari fan to support the chief opposition? How does that work? I don’t see many Napoli fans being too friendly to inter Milan fans when they visit, far from it. It’s sport, people side with their teams, and when people attack them, they react. No difference to real life.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gator likes this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #127 Igor Ound, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Why? Care to explain?

A young man, successful even if under immense pressure and affected by tragic circumstances can’t be a role model for his father’s fans?

You seem to think role models can only be such if they have same sex or ethnicity. That’s a pretty myopic vision. Don’t think YOU really understand what a role model is.

Lotaz, sammysaber, TifosiUSA and 2 others like this.
  3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Ok, now more serious than above....
    As far as I understand you say that the black guy from the working class brought fans into F1 that did not care about F1 before! So this raises a few questions to me..
    First of all, if it all depends on one driver, are they really fans of F1 or are they just fan of "one of them" being in that sport and just like with Tiger Woods it is actually not that important what sport it is?
    Second: when someone says he follows one driver because he feels represented more by a "black kid from the working class" than all the white drivers that have been in F1 before it seems to be ok but when a white guy would say he roots f.e. for Kevin Magnussen (of Mick Schumacher to stay on topic) because he feels more represented by "a blond guy with blue eyes" rather than "a black guys from the working class" he is called racist because he dismisses the second one by his skin colour... Isn´t that a double standard as I think racism works in both ways?

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Haven't F1's TV viewership numbers been falling steadily since MSC left? Where are all these "new fans" LH brought in?

LVP488, NEP, sammysaber and 1 other person like this.
  5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Sure bud. Your location gives you away and you clearly have an axe to grind with Mick Schumacher. How could he not be a role model? Tons of pressure, his dad incapacitated and he is not only handling it all in stride but succeeding in a big way. Just as his dad was a role model for me coming up, Mick could easily be a role model for an entire young generation of people.

How you could question this boggles the mind. Guess he isn't black or poor enough. Speaking of humble beginnings, you know Michael's dad was a bricklayer right?

NEP and daytona355 like this.
  6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think you guys just want to fight and see conflict/disagreement everywhere. If you actually read what people write, and stop assuming that everyone is 'against' you, they maybe we could have a good discussion. At the moment you are just tying yourselves in knots trying to justify to yourselves that everybody hates FerrariSchumacher/Vettel/etc.

Mick Schumacher obviously isn't the only kid to have grown up with a family tragedy, but I doubt he's struggled for money and opportunities to go racing. He is clearly talented, but just how talented we will have to see. I am not sure he is going to bring a whole new audience to the sport (as someone claimed), but maybe he will surprise me.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Wrong... I have asked a simple question resulting from what you said. But I guess it is easier to ignore that and go on offence....sad

daytona355 likes this.
  8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think role models is more about participation than fanship. If you come from a reasonably wealthy white family then sports like Golf, Tennis and Motor Racing are probably accessible to you. If you have a family member or friend who's already doing that sport, then even better because they can introduce you to it and show you the ropes.

I don't think it's about feeling represented, I think it's about looking at the people succeeding and thinking that that could be you.

Racism is about arbitrarily discriminating or making negative assumptions about someone based simply on their racial background. In sport, everyone is entitled to support who they want based on whatever rational or irrational reasons they choose but why wish harm or insult someone you don't choose to support? What's the point of that?

9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Shame you could have waited a minute for me to type a reply to you ...

(I did appreciate your more serious question.)

P.Singhof likes this.
  10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Which is an illusion... very few are getting to the top and if you are a talent like Woods or Hamilton I think it does not make a difference what colour your skin is. But those thinking "that could be me" are obviously dreaming, because in case they are older than 5 years their train already departed...
    Here I dissagree... what you discribe is the worst form of racism, but racism is already when you just differ between different colours...And I think there is plenty on both sides

daytona355 likes this.
  11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Suggesting someone's location "gives them away" as a hater does not constitute reasonable debate and only causes irreconcilable antagonism. Do not do this again, as it will be regarded as trolling and moderated accordingly.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    Andrew.

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #137 TifosiUSA, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    • 1-month ban
    No offense, but have you actually read the thread? You're become like my shadow and seem very invested in my posts. I appreciate the concern so let me break it down for you. I think he has an axe to grind with Mick, his location is just the cherry on top. All his posts in this thread have a negative slant towards Mick. Dude even refers to Hamilton (coming up black/poor/etc) in the Mick Schu thread. These people can't help themselves. Quit getting so defensive when I call a spade a spade. We get it, you have English ties...but you are a mod - be better.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Why don't you make a prediction on his career then? "We will have to see how good he is" adds nothing to the discussion. Way to really stick your neck out there lol

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Since I am a nice guy, I will help you out, his first few posts in this thread after Mick wins the title, you tell me what you think:

Straight out the gate he gets negative and shows clear bias against Mick because his family is rich and implying he is there because of his name/money.

Again, implies he is just a "rich white guy with a famous name" and suggests it would mean more if he was black and working class just like...oh boy let me guess...Hamilton. Gee, that couldn't be. :D

Another gem where he questions who a Schumacher could possibly be a role model for.

You have to READ my man.

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Read this:

You may challenge his specific views (and I myself do not agree with all of what he espoused) without citing his location as incontrovertible evidence that he is in the wrong. To attack him for his location is a trolling tactic and I will not negotiate with you on this point.

However much we disagree with them (and I do as well), you may not imply that other members are psychologically deficient and in need of help, as you did here:

Your cooperation is not voluntary.

Think about that for the next month offline.

Regards,
    Andrew.

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Hope is good, but cold data reveals the facts.

Since Glock assisted Hamilton in the final corner of the final race - pipping Massa to the 2008 WDC, F1 viewing figures have been in steady decline.

2008 - 600 million viewers
    2017 - 352 million viewers

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, do you think this decline in viewers is because of a single fact or an individual? That's why you imply here.

I think F1 becomes too complex, too technical, too controvertial and too predictable to keep people on the edge of their seat.
    For me that's the reason why people don't Watch F1 anymore: it became boring, and too sanitized.
    The other factor is that it is increasingly expensive to attend GPs, and even to Watch them on the box.
    From what I read on this forum, no country seems to offer F1 live for free, as it used to be.
    Now F1 as a show has to compete with other entertainments, and is not winning the battle.

I am not optimistic about a U-turn of this decline.

ATBNM3 and Patrick Dixon like this.
  17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So... viewership in decline ever since KERS, hybrids, and turbos? It sounds like people want to see racing with loud, visceral, high-revving engines using natural aspiration and more cylinders.

All the best,
    Andrew.

ATBNM3, fil, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely, you’ve cracked the code that liberty still hasn’t worked out in all the time they’ve owned F1..... bring back big noisy thirsty engines and a bit of racing.... spend some money if you want to. Want to test, sure, go for it.... have your own test track, well, the others could always buy one too, get it on....... sponsors all gone, but LEGAL cigarettes and alcohol want to give you money and sponsor you, cool, get em on the car. That’s how f1 saves itself, the current boring **** state it’s in is down to daft enviro friendly ******** rules and Mercedes owning the FIA regulations till 2021.

fil and NeuroBeaker like this.
  19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Absolutely correct.
    It makes zero difference whether a black kid or white kid is the latest whizz, as implied by P Dixon.

F1 needs to be a spectacle with loud and close racing, first and foremost.

LVP488, NeuroBeaker and daytona355 like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To me, F1 is just pricing itself out of business; this is the main reason for the decline.
    The ticket prices have gone through the roof; that makes people think. .
    Even in Germany, the country with the highest disposable income in Europe, the organisers have problem selling seats, and run their GP at loss.
    Live TV viewing is not free anymore, and less and less channels are interested in buying broadcasting rights.
    To view F1 live, you have to take subscriptions which are not judged very good value for money.
    All that has an influence on the audience shrinking year after year, IMO, more than the technical side.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Presumably you have been living in a cave ?

One of its biggest TV markets has always been the UK.
    It has always carried Free To Air coverage, and yet it's audience has shrunk considerably in the last 10 years.

I'm done with this thread

22. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Mick Schumacher will be starting for Germany at the Race of Champions 2019, teaming up with SV.
    2007 - 2012 Michael Schumacher and Vettel won the RoC.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Correct. I have the data at my other office.

Instagram followers clicking on a 10 second clip of Hamilton is hardly a substitute for the pre-2008 TV race audiences.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Dream team for 2020 - Leclerc/Schumacher......... I so want Mick to come in and be as good as his father, the rest can then **** off home, cos they won’t get a look in.. forza Michael

Lotaz and stavura like this.
  25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Back On Topic.

Congratulations to Mick for securing his Formula 2 seat.

Big media pressure and expectations on this young man's shoulders !

stavura, daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.