Micro-fiber or bust | FerrariChat

Micro-fiber or bust

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by turbomangt, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    I have been promoting micro fiber ever since I went into business. For those that don't use them, I will post some technical info. Those that are using MF, are the best people to listen too. Here is the bottom line. When I go to car shows and car club meetings to speak on car care, and time is limited, my favorite topic to discuss is Micro fiber. I still see people using cotton diapers, terri towels, flannel, cheese clothe, and even shop rags on their finish. All of these materials are abrasive, believe it or not. High qaulity MF towels have 90,000 small micro fibers per every square inche, each fiber is 100 times thinner than a strand of hair, plus it can absorb 7 times its own weight, making it more absorbant than a chamois. I have technical data sheets if anyone wants me to mail them one, I'd be glad to do so. Once you use a MF towel, NOTHING else compares. For more information visit my web site.
    Gary Perfect Auto Finish> Working>Teaching>Specializing in Perfecting the Art of Detailing, (www.perfectautofinish.com)

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Gary. I will be getting ahold of you soon to see about getting some of that "Wheel Dust" cleaner,for my Wife's P.T.Cruiser. (Fronts only. Backs are good because they are Drum Brakes.)

We just redid the Brakes,but the wheels are Horribly stained with that stuff. I tried washing. No good. I tried some "Maas" polish. Still no good. Then,I tried some "Bug and Tar remover". It worked alittle,but,not quite all the way....That wheel dust is terrible! And,it's all from the Factory Stock Brake Shoes!

You never saw that before. Just seems to have been in the last 10 years or so. What kind of Crap are they using?

I am going to invest in some of those Brake Wheel Dust Covers. But,do you know if they affect Brake Cooling at all?

3. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    Brake dust is an on going problem. I have seen worse case scenerios on BMW's. As far as covers are conerned, yes they will help, but nothing beats regular maintenence. What kind of material are they using,? please. The cheapest alloy that will scretch the tolerance level. Thats why aftermarket brake companies are doing so well. I was thinking about the same thing for my cruiser. Although I take the wheels off the car once a month and clean behind them, seems to help. Now lets talk about micro fiber. I would like to hear from members about MF towels. Gary

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,Sorry to get off track there. I have yet to use the Microfiber Towels. I'm kicking myself in the arse for not picking up some at the Detailing seminar. So,now thats 2 things I need to get from you. I'll look on your site. Thanks!

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Do you suggest using MF towels only for drying the car or for other finish activities like wax removal, detailing spray application, etc.??

Right now I'm using oversize cotton bath towels for everything.

Brad

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If it is Micro-fiber or Bust, I vote for Bust. Microfibers leave infinitessimally small scratches (each of those insanely small fibers is actually a fairly stiff bristle) but I have YET to see any woman's bust scratch my paint, no matter how hard or long she rubbed her breasts across the finish :)

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Did you try wheel cleaner?

Also, if ceramic pads are available for the PT, you've practically solved the problem!

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,I tried 2 different kinds of wheel cleaner. To no avail. I just put new pads on. We are thinking of trading this one in and getting an '04.(Her's is an '02) So,It won't matter. But,I will look into Ceramic Pads for the next one.

9. There is Microfibers for drying and also for Quick Detailing wax and sealent removal. The waffle weave towels are for drying the super plush are good for QD and wax removal the medium plush are good for sealents and other jobs.

www.premiumautocare.com
    www.pakshack.com
    www.topoftheline.com
    www.properautocare.com

Im not affiliated in anyway with the sites above just good resources for detailing supplies and MF's.

10. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    Micro fiber towels have been rated the #1 choice by the professional detailers across the country. After you try one you will know why. Gary