mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The GTR is incredibly desirable, unfortunately for Nissan it's just with an age group of 10-17 year old males ;) . Go make fun of one on a YouTube video or something of the likes and watch the vitriol that's comes your way from fan boys not even old enough to drive.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Gtr sells better from low end nissan dealership than r8 does from high end audi store which proves my point that mid engine vette at 150k would sell from regular chevy dealerhip

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Lol, ok. So, it's not really performance because the performance was there for anyone who wanted it, but rather it was the appearance of being a cock. Got it.

Mark

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #79 Jo Sta7, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    No, you can't look at the stripped out, uncomfortable, practically unusable (yes I've driven the ACR it's dreadful off track) and that runs with massive wings and sticky tires and think that's going to fool people into buying the road focused car. The road going Viper that needed to sell to keep the brand alive underperformed versus the competition. Also, the ACR lost the entire ethos of what the Viper was. It was never about being laser focused albeit down on power versus the competition. Never about lap times. It was brute force power in a straight line. Dodge lost the plot.

Back to your original post, if Chevy makes the mid engined corvette poorly but thinks they can just make a stripped out Track version and that'll drive sales, they're wrong. If they make a genuinely good car though with great performance it'll sell at $150k. Viper wasn't a good car.

Another point, if the ACR was Track focused but usable, it may have saved the brand. An example is the AMG GTR. It's fast as nearly anything around the track but lost none of the refinement of the regular AMG GT and may even ride better. Same with Huracan P. No reason it's less usable on a daily basis than regular Huracan. The ACR was definitely not something you'd want to drive around on a even a semi regular basis. It was a $150k+ track toy.

5. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    It those are real: they will not be lifting up to grant access to the motor. The interface with the door is obvious and it's the large end of the panel. The small end of the panel has provisions for a wrap around light cluster. The curved top edge is there interface for the rear window.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Just speaking for myself and more than a dozen of my friends who have owned every Generation of the Viper but none of us bought the Gen V Viper.

It was absolutely because of the price.

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If it was a great car though would $120k have turned you away?

8. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    So, you're asking whether the price was too high for what was offered, but you tell me the price doesn't matter? Lol.

Mark

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I never said that. I just don't think price is reason why the Viper didn't sell. Now it not being worth the price is another matter.

10. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    So a car that wasn't worth the asking price didn't have sales problems because of the price?

Face it, price is intertwined with car sales. At $65k-$75k, the Viper would have been a home run. At $120k, it was a flop. Team Viper over estimated their demographics. Their core buyers are not buyers at $120k. You have to know who your core buyer is. If you alienate your core buyer, you're left trying to convince other people to buy your product over everything else that is out there.

The new NSX is failing miserably for the same reason.

Mark

randkin likes this.
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #86 boxerman, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

i agree with most of what you say, except for the NSX part. The new NSX is failing because it appeals to nobody in any demographic. A heavy hybrid souless sportscar is an answer to a question noboby except an engineer asked. Uninspired styling tot he extent it looks not to have been designed at all does not help.

that failure of the NSX isd hopefully a warning top chevy. Slathering tech for techs sake does not sell sportscars.

Ferrari Mac and Porchge got away with it becaus they aimed to sell very few, they had knockout paper performance and their rubes buy the rband almost no matetr what.

chevy needs to design an great car. Different versions will no doubt have different price tags dependiogn on options. But poche does this well with caymans and 991, so can chevy.

BTW I way prefer my chevy dealership/service experince to my Wifes mercedes dealer. Yes there are a few tatoos about, but Chevy is efficient and friendly, and knowledgable, whereas mecdes is sort of coporate, snooty and struggles to balance a tire..

12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    You hit the nail on the head...Honda answered the question no one asked with the new NSX. It is a car that is slave to many and master to none, it's fast but not blindingly so, it gets OK mileage around town but no better than a Z06 on the highway (and who buys a supercar for fuel mileage?), it's not very attractive, it's heavy, it get's smacked around on a track by cars that shouldn't be able to (C7 GS for one). In short, it's an awful lot of money for a car that does nothing exceptionally. And clearly, the market thinks so as well based on it's tepid sales. I Guess Honda was too far along (development wise) to learn the lesson BMW learned with the i8 (when's the last time you saw an i8 on the road?).

I have no doubt that GM has paid attention to the i8 and NSX's failure in the market.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The I8 at least looks like the future. Its also not really bought by sportscar people. While getting off topic, as fun comuter runabout I think an I8 could be great fun. Better yet with an M4 motor in it and no electrics it could be great fun, or even better than that the previous gen M3 v8.

14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I probably should have been clearer in my post. You and I are in agreement regarding the NSX. What I meant was the NSX's core customers wanted a light, nimple, car the revs. Honda didn't build that...and didn't price it in the NSX's segment. Honda went up market with the exact opposite of what it's core buyers wanted, and we see how well that translated into sales. Without its core buyer buying the NSX, Honda was left trying to convince everyone else to pony up $160-$200k for two seat, mid-engine techno GT. There are not a ton of buyers in that segment.

Mark

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would have been a customer at $85k or so. $120k is way too much.

Im not going to claim to be an expert on Viper demographics, but going by my social circle that owns/owned Vipers, we are not rich. We are upper middle class and have to really choose wisely. We cant just absorb the extra $35k the way a typical Ferrari customer can.

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    As an aside to the Viper conversation, I always felt one of the things that doomed the car was the fact that the looks of the car were evolutionary. They needed a revolutionary look around Gen 4 but they didn't do that.

Other than the 911, people want a new look after so many years. That change up drives a lot of sales.

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    This!

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

i thought the last ones looked great, but 120+k for a car that sounds like a broken vacum cleaner?

I accept at 40K that my Lotus eilse sounds like a bunch of bolts and the motor is vibratey
    because its a superlative drive and for the rpice sacrifices have to be made.

But somehwere along the priceline a car has to have an awesome motor. While the power and weigth of a viper mtor may be good, it always sounded and felt like crap, an aluminum version of a rough truck engine. Too bad the hellcat motor wouldnt fit(too tall). Since a viper motor is a v8 with two extra cylinders they should have added two more and built a750hp pushrod V12, that would have been worth 120K.

But youre also right about stylign, ford could be selling 1000fgts a year for 200k.
    But then while the creases on a vette change over time, the c7 s really a c5 and it sells well.

19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    A birdie flew in the window after my long drive to Alaska
    Just possibly as I stated before
    Three option corvette 650hp / 800plus hp and over the top 1,000 hp with carbon fiber blah blah blah topping out around 150 grand But!
    Don't be surprised if a super Caddy version comes out for 200 grand at a whopping 1,500 hp or so......
    I usually am close on these predictions let's see
    Gtjoey1314/720s/ tired from driving to Alaska and back

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    That is one wild birdie you got flying around you! 1500 hp caddy-vette? More like a game of throne dragon. Lol

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would not be surprised if the ONLY version that comes out is a super mid engine Caddy...
    at around 150 to 200.....
    then keep the Vette front engine as always...could very well happen although I hope they finally do the mid engine corvette///

22. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The vette is a done deal in all three forms, my numbers could be off a tad
    Testing exhaust as we speak
    Out side vendors for many bolt ons
    When they come out it will kill anything made in or around America;)
    I just hope the actual body is at least something to look at
    A retro 66 sting ray would have orders for years
    The caddy info was to To be king of the American luxury segment
    I hear wild , wild numbers , we shall see
    Gtjoey1314

23. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Curious as to caddy styling.

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #99 jm2, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    k wright likes this.
  25. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Always like this this form. John, did you have any input?