mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 5 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's pretty cool. Kinda too much "Lambo like" though.

I really wish GM in general would go away from 70's sharp lines and folded paper and more to organic curves. Cads of the 50's were all curves.

But what do I know? :)

2. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    If Caddy made the CIEL that they showed off years ago, they would have been world class. They get stuck with bean counters and politics and never make it over the top.
    Hopefully this will do it.
    The CIEL was unreal.
    GTJOEY1314

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No, that particular design was done in the Advanced Studio in England years ago.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I believe you're right, they've slowly moved away from the 'Art & Science' form vocabulary and recently are going for a softer look.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #105 boxerman, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Saw a previous gen cts v coupe today. They really got that one right. Art and science works if it's all in. Today's half and half does not work.

Either way caddy needs a new design language along with cars that have room inside and powerful smooth motors. What they make now is poorly inspired sort of powerful with unappealing interiors and neither here nor there exteriors trying to wow with electronics no one really wants anyway.

Today caddy is A well engineered car designed by a rudderless ship.

Yeah a caddy version of the mid engines bette could be awesome. Or it could be a nsx or Lfx flop. Somehow premium
    Brands overdo things which does not really work for sports cars except maybe Lamborghini and that's more outrageously inspired than overdone.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #106 TheMayor, Aug 17, 2017
    IMO Cadillac is the most improperly run brand in the world. Pinheads at GM have no idea what to do with it.

I swear they wish they didn't own it. It's like an afterthought of Chevy. Maybe it's not "politically correct" for them. Maybe its too easy to sell to Grandpa.

Its potential is enormous if they would just get off their backsides and embrace its past.

Be bold. Be outrageous. Embrace luxury gadgets and flamboyant style and size.

And give them NAMES and not stupid numbers and letters. Have some passion!

7. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Couldn't disagree more with the first part of your statement. They went all in with the best chassis, steering feel and brakes in the category. I can't tell you how much better my Cad is than my last late model BMW. They are a passionate group of enthusiasts that have built some great cars and won every race class they've entered lately. All for naught as the Euro snobs could care less about that type of performance and automatically wander, lemming -like into familiar showrooms.
    That being said, perhaps they should embrace their past and go for the ultimate luxo cruiser and abandon their hard fought, class leading performance. Who knows.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I think this is the space Lincoln wants to be in. Good ole American luxury, not ashamed of their past. Embrace who you are, don't be ashamed of it. There are plenty of buyers that don't care about Nurburgring times.

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    #109 gtjoey, Aug 17, 2017
    Here's the difference why All the American cars are a notch below
    Did you every buy a Hyundai , Camry, Honda or a vw
    Notice I didn't include Mercedes, Porsche and all the rest
    Any of the above from 13 thousand dollar cars to the a rolls Royce have one common thread
    Custormer Service!
    Clean dealerships!
    With an overall consumer comes first attitude
    Caddy came along way for a 30,000 mile car
    But 30,001 and the wheels fall off
    Drive a Honda Pilot and at about 225,000 miles it's just breaking in
    It's the same old story
    Racing results these days just means if you sponsored the series You won!
    I really like the brand new caddy four door , it looks sleek, but if my wife has to jump in the car with grease on the seat and a waiting area with lead paint on the walls and a guy with his ass crack sticking out , it's not appealing
    I'm not alone in this assessment
    Now go buy an Altima with a double stitched leather dash for a lease of 90 dollars a month and it runs 300,000 miles
    P s my extended family had owned caddy dealerships, ford dealerships going back to the model T. Caddy died in the 70s and has tried but the Hyundai dealership is the Taj mahal!
    Gtjoey1314
    Double ps Lincoln will be dead and buried real soon just adjust your television tube for better reception
    Their quality is well........probably 90 days you'll hear

10. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    You're on to something with this line of thought for sure. Since they unveiled the Elmiraj concept a few years ago I have been waiting for exactly the change up you're wanting, but it hasn't materialized yet.

The Elmiraj concept was enormously popular and it seems that Caddy simply abandoned it.

11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.

Well I can say the total opposite here. My current company car is a '15 CTS that is at 38k mi and is almost new. Wife just traded in her '14 XTS that had 40k mi for the new XT5 which is a huge improvement. Our dealer provides us with all standard maintenance for no charge as well as a loaner. They will even come pick it up and bring it back. Service area is exceptionally clean as well as the waiting area. I have zero complaints and will continue until things change on their end. Next I will be returning the CTS for the CTS-V when I get closer the the lease being up. I think alot of the stuff being thrown around here are by people who have not owned a Caddy in the last 5yrs and bought it new much less dealt with the service department. Last time I checked there are overweight people everywhere, not just at a GM dealer. Dumbass commentary on that IMO.

12. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I respectfully disagree, Cadillac is a very, very , very small dot on the luxury market.
    If they made the CIEL it would have been different.
    No one compares a caddy in ANY comps when reviewing luxury cars.
    If they do, the article starts out like this, The caddy was a nice try....but.
    Eric, Im being sarcastic , but I hope you get what I mean.
    I had a wonderful 49 convertible that Harley Early designed, just a WONDERFUL looking car.
    I took my drivers test in a 1978 caddy coupe deville, I parrellel parked with one finger
    :)
    Having fun
    GTJOEY1314

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I agree 100%
    Been driving Cadillacs for 10 yrs and have NEVER had a bad dealer expertince. 3 CTS V coupes and 1 ATS V Coupe. 0 problems.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #114 TheMayor, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There's no shame with some design teams............

16. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm impressed with the performance of our '16 ATS 3.6.

Wish I had the room for an ATS V.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    To me the lincoln is 50% of the quality of the caddy. yes it looks Ok but fundementaly is a gussied up cheap car, neither driving great nor having a really nice motor.

To me a caddy mught have the supercharged V* but aversion eginered for maybe more Tq and lot more smoothness than chevy manages. The CT6 from what we read drives really nicely and has a good ride handling compromise. It falls apart in styling being neither here nor there. its trying to sell on electronic gimicks which imo is something manufactuers are pushing more than clients are asking for, and are a distraction more than a benefit.

You can go back to my comments from years ago when I was correct in saying that the then new CTS would flop and same for ats. There is a lot more to a luxury car than being able to handle as well as or better than a 3 series.

Mercedes for one really understands the ride handling balanace of a luxury and near luxuury car. Were not talking skidpad numbers nor lexus/lincoln waft.

Some of the caddy concept cars of the past decade looked awesome. A CT6 styled like those cars with a great motor and less gizmo centric would sell great. Cars are objective and subjective, the new caddys are objectively really pretty good(unlike lincoln), subjectivly meh, thats fine for toyota not fine for luxury brand. None of this is rocket science, although apparently it is at GM. Ironic they got the hard parts right.

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Motor Trend just released the new GM MERCURY motor.
    Guess my sources were close, 9.0 litre twin turbo v8 ....GET THIS 1,750 HORSE POWER.
    The caddy might get it after all!
    GTJOEY1314

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thats insane! how much would such an engine weigh? even crazy tuners like hennesy, etc only get about 1000hp with their modified big blocks. i dont think i would even want to drive a car with that motor

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I can't see GM with a production engine above 800 hp.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually I see them downsizing from the HP wars. Fuel economy will be HP's killer.

There's a limited market for these cars. GM is not stupid, just boring. :)

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd be OK with a mid engined corvette having 600 hp as long as jt weights 3100 pounds :)

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree with you.

But you will never see a CF tub in a Corvette. That's about the only way you can get down that low today.

Personally I wish all "exotic" companies made their cars lighter, smaller, less complicated and with less HP.

24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The New 720s is 2,800 lbs with over 700+ hp, No slip rear, no electric at the wheels NO BUTTONS ON THE STEERING WHEEL and can fit 2 humans 8 pieces of luggage and has a butter soft leather interior.
    Mayor , PLEASE go drive one, you wont believe it.
    GTJOEY

of2worlds likes this.
  25. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Man, it sucks to be Cadillac....
    For DECADES, people *****ed about Cadillac making luxury barges. So, Cadillac changes direction and now makes THE best drivers cars in EVERY category they compete in. And for the trouble, folks on this forum suggest that Cadillac is badly run and lost it's way. Pretty certain all this expert knowledge is being done with out actually DRIVING any of the current Caddy offerings.