mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 80 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I hate to be THAT guy, but if that spoiler (the one on the camo car) is standard on the C8, I will NOT buy the car.
    I didn't buy Z51 package on my Stingray because of it's spoiler and it's about 1000% better looking than that abomination (I asked if they would make me a Z51 convertible and leave off the spoiler....that answer was NO).

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    My example.... Image Unavailable, Please Login
    of the small lip spoiler (rear).
    I think car companies get too carried away with all add on stuff. The Stingray (IMO) is very nice design, once you start tacking on all these plastic spoilers/air dams/spats....it just looks silly. I toyed with getting a C7 GS when they came out, I just could not stand the looks.

Also, to confirm I'm not a total poser....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

boxerman, Phil~ and energy88 like this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Here's some pro and cons regarding the upcoming mid-engine Corvette. Love to hear contrary opinions

WHY MID-ENGINED?

PRO: Because mid-engined cars put the engine between the axles ,so they have a lower polar moment of inertia, thus are not so tail happy as say, a rear engine Porsche 911 , and turn-in and corner holding capabilities would surpass where they can go with front engined.

CON But the downside is less luggage room, worse visibility (could be cured with onboard rear view cameras) and limited seating room, a lot of 6 foot plus guys can hardly fit in a Ferrari.

PRO: A fill size mid-engine car not a weenie mobile like the Fiero

SEE THROUGH ENGINE LID

PRO You can show off the engine to the rubes every time you stop without having to lift the lid. Either on the cover itself or adjacent to it are some cooling slots to let hot air escape.

NO CON

REAR SPOILER
    CON Some spy shots show cheap tacked-on spoiler. Reakky degrades the car as boy racer
    PRO To get 150 lb. on the rear whee;s is orth the jibes

ELECTRONIC MANUAL

PRO R & T has the theory that has it’s a clutch-by-wire system that means they can throw out the the traditional hydraulic master- and slave-cylinder replacing it with an electronic actuator in the transmission triggered by a sensor on the clutch pedal. This system would make for a much simpler clutch actuation system, which would certainly be helpful in a mid-engine car with the transmission at the rear. “
    CON Forget it, Manual trans are drying

PRICING

PRO ON 70K PRICE For one thing it will have to cost a minimum of $70,000 , at least $16,000 more than the starting MSRP of the current C7. More profitable for the dealers than any car in GM history

CON That price will rule out of a lot of buyers, cutting the Corvette market down if that’s the only model available, no more front engine ones.

PRO, on the plus side, it would sock it to Porsche because that’s in 718 Cayman S territory. And $70,000 would be hundreds of thousands cheaper than the current Ferrari base mid-engine car and yet, in actual street use, it will be competitive on speed.

PRO ON 150K PRICE Even if the price is the also oft-predicted $150,000, it will knock a big hole in the Ford GT bragging rights. The Ford GT cost over $400,000 , is limited on who they will sell to, and only has a V6. . I personally don’t mind if they go for the high price because it’s still lower than the Ferrari, and a $150,000 pricetag would make for a public perception of the car as the quality of the Audi R8 cabriolet and other mid-engine foreign cars.

CON This price would drop overboard the middle class blokes who supported the Corvette in the past

PRO I say, if that happens, so be it , because there is a competitive world out there and we can’t keep building old-style stuff for the old type of Corvette customer of the '60s.70.s,80s, etc. We have to build the future to be respected in the automobile world. And $150,000 isn’t that much when a two bedroom house in an LA suburb cost three times that. (To show you one market the average income of the 14,000 dwellers of Malibu is $200,000)

PRO hybrid

Bob Lutz was quoted in the Detroit News in 2016 speculating that the mid-engine Corvette could have a small battery and electric motor to decrease fuel consumption and enable all-wheel-drive. Technically, an electric motor driving the front wheels, (and the ability to shut off the internal (and infernal) combustion engine and cruise about the city in electric drive) qualifies the car as a hybrid and Corvette owners would thus be qualified to barrel along in the high occupancy lane as a single occupant along with the Prius and other electrics.

CON The go-fast boys will say adding an electric motor is *****-fying the car.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    of2worlds likes this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki, Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I hate to be so judgie but...man that side intake...

jm2 likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting the conversation on Manuals going away. The answer was "Meh!" Something like: The buyers are all in their 60's and they're dying off. Time for a new generation.

jm2 likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It looks like a 36o with sharper creases and something crazy glued to the side.

boxerman and jm2 like this.
  9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wouldn't be quite as bad if it were the same color as the rest of the car.

I had the same opinion about the c7's various carbon flash trim pieces. Much more subtle on a black car.

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    or maybe they're saving it for a future iteration? ;)

boxerman and of2worlds like this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm sorry but Zora is a terrible name.

13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    How 'bout Arkus?

14. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think Zora is a great name and honors the man who pretty much is the father of the corvette, no different then say Enzo which I think is a great name as well.

dbk and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Zora was not Enzo. Almost one knows who this guy was -- or cares today. Enzo would have been a terrible name if no one knew who he was.

People know Zorba the Greek more!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JV's89 likes this.
  16. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think your mistaken, anyone who is into corvettes at all knows who Zora is/was and to say almost know knows him is simply untrue.
    He is not as well known/famous as Enzo but he is pretty well known in the corvette world and to name a car after him makes total sense in my opinion.
    I mean come on.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zora_Arkus-Duntov

jm2 likes this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Zora is a fine name. Also, car manufacturers name cars after people ALL that time that are mostly or completely irrelevant. Names like Jesko (CVKs dad) BC (bought first Zonda) Elise (named after a granddaughter of the chairman of lotus at the time), Dino (we know here but I’m assuming 90+% of people don’t), Veyron, Chiron, and the list goes on and on.

Zora was large in corvette history. He championed mid engine. If the end product is good then non corvette people will learn his name and be perfect fine with it....

CK7684 likes this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    One possible bad associated connotation with Zora or Zorba: the rear end likes to "dance."

19. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I like it, but I would like it more if the side intake thing was body color or cleared carbon fiber.

20. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I think you are overestimating the number of Corvette buyers who know Corvette history. I'd venture to say a very strong majority of Corvette owners couldn't care less about the car's history.

Dolcevita and anunakki like this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly most don't know the technical difference between the C5 and C7 if y0u asked them.

Ummm.. Front engine, V8, 2 seater and... has a radio! :)

Chevy says it is doing this to attract new, younger customers who would be attracted to a Porsche, Audi or BMW. Those people don't know bupkis about what happened in 1961. If fact, referencing an unknown engineer from that period actually makes it look like the old geezers still pull the strings.