Mid engine corvette renderings | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mid engine corvette renderings

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheMayor, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #76 JV's89, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    lol

I think Stingrays are cool, too. Not necessarily exclusive, but every bit as cool.

2. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #77 darkkaangel, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep I agree, they are cool and I have enjoyed mine for the past 3 years now.
    I am very interested in what the real final mid engine car looks like and I hope that it is not only cool, but special in its own way as I want to own one.
    Here's my C7, its my daily driver. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It wasn't the interior design. It was the interior quality.

First, I'll talk about the idiotic Chevy dealers I had to deal with to get one. But that would take all day so I'll just say thank heavens I bought one out of state from a dealer who specialized in Vettes. Local Chevy salesmen are idiots when it comes to Corvettes and customers.

I was really excited about this car. I custom ordered one of the early convertible Z06's with a 3LT option, 7 speed manual, metallic tint coat paint, and I picked it up at the factory. In fact I think it had every option.

It went downhill from there.

I hated the 7 speed gearbox, the interior materials were not of a quality of a Camry, with the top up it was the worst car I've ever owned for blind spots so I never knew what was going on when switching lanes (lane warning is not available on the C7), the V4 mode was annoying, the idiotic 1-4 gearbox lockout at low speeds even more annoying, the electric power steering vague and boring with no feel of what the car is doing whatsoever, the paint looked horrific from 10 feet away and it started to peal off the lower plastic panels in 1000 miles.

And, despite having what they called an "E-diff" the car always felt under hard acceleration like it was going to swap ends on me, even if accelerating in a straight line.

I traded it. Never looked back.

I think it could have been a great car. But you can see where Chevy cut corners. Quality is not one of their strong points.

Why do I bring this up? To bash Chevy? No. Its because the C7 could have been great if people there actually paid attention to the details like others do. And, I hope they learn their lesson with this new mid engine car if they actually make it.

They need to improve.

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ^
    All I can do is comment on mine...
    The 7 speed manual is easy to use, and very direct.
    There is no 1-4 "lockout," I quite easily go 1-2-3-4 every time I drive it...in sport mode.
    There is no V4 cylinder deactivation going on in sport mode.
    I accelerate very hard all the time, in sport mode, including track-based driving and never once was the back feeling like it was going to swap ends...ever.
    The steering and handling response is laser accurate and on par with my Ferraris, steering is set to sport. (I also like you can set the car up the way you like at it actually stays that way..not like idiotic Euro-GU bent-control cars you have to reset every time you start it.)

You trash the interior, and overall quality control...yet you praise the laughably appalling junk of a car called the Alfa 4C, which goes for stingray money??
    Mind boggling.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 7 speed is a joke to use. The 6 speed was much better. Going from 6th to 7th or down anyway from 7th is a guessing game which gear you end up with. And the gearbox does lock up going from 1-2 at low speeds and force you into 4th for god only knows what reason.

Yes I trash the Vette interior when they claimed the 3LT was supposed to be equal to a euro interior. The 4c is a completely different minimalist concept. It's like comparing apples ago oranges. Even so the leather on my 4c dash isn't wrinkled like an elephant.

But you cannot excuse the soulless electric power steering or the poor paint. Anyone who looks at a Porsche Cayman first would have to shake their heads.

Saying Chevy has its act together is not doing them any favors. If they want to make a super car they need to get out if their old ways of doing things and step up a peg.

Shoot me for saying so but it's true.

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I appreciate the response.

Apparently I (for once) lucked out and bought a great example, and you wound up with less than Chevy's best effort. Maybe you bought one of those "Friday cars". :)

I'm serious when I say the leather on my dash is impeccable. As for the transmission, I have the auto, and I love it. Sacrilege, I know, but I've never understood the big thrill associated with three pedals. John Walko (former race team owner) drove my car and said the paddle shifting was pretty damn close to a dual clutch experience. I've never driven dual clutch paddle shift car, so I wouldn't know, but it definitely works better than my c-6 did.

Coming from a couple of c-6's, I think this car is almost impossibly better.

7. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not sure if I'll lust after the mid-engine vette the way I did my stingray, but if I do I'll probably wait for a used one. I don't really regret buying new, but the depreciation is a bear.

Nice looking car, Jeff.

Enjoy!

8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    To point out a few things:
    I believe the Mayor had a Z51 convertible, not a Z06.
    The V4 mode on a manual C7 is ONLY in play with the drive mode set to "Weather" or "Eco". If the V4 mode bothers you, leave the drive mode in "Tour", "Sport", or "Track" and you will never have to deal with it.
    The "1st to 4th" shift occurs in a very specific (and narrow range) of driving. I have owned 5 Corvettes with CAGS, spanning nearly 20 years. I have had probably 10 CAGS intrusions in that time.
    I disagree about the interior quality, steering, and handling. I have never felt like the car was going to swap ends, no matter how hard I was driving.
    I agree about the blindspots, they are quite bad and also the 7th gear piled into the transmission. I literally never use 7th because of vagueness when downshifting (you'll get 4th as often as 6th)

As far as the rest, I'm sorry he was unhappy with the car.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry to me the last good looking Vette was the C5. Everything since looks like a Disney cartoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Do they make a CAGS eliminator? I have one in my 05 CTSV. It simply plugs into the wiring harness between the harness and CAGS control on the transmission and has the proper resistance so you don't get a check engine light.