Middle East TR for sale in the US. | FerrariChat

Middle East TR for sale in the US.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Craig 2424, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craig 2424

Craig 2424 Rookie

Dec 15, 2020
    Corsicana Texas
    Full Name:
    Craig
    New to the Ferrari Testarossa. I found a '88 model for the Middle East market in the US for sale. Anything anyone can warn me about on this kind of transplanted car? Thanks for any and all input.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    NEVER buy an exotic from the mid-east.

NEVER!

3. Craig 2424

Craig 2424 Rookie

Dec 15, 2020
    Corsicana Texas
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Ok, why?

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    First, check the VIN. Carefully. When TR's were new, stolen ones could be registered in the Gulf using their original serial numbers as nobody checked. Check for modified VIN plates as well. Second, are there any service records? Even service by the dealer here in Dubai is fraught with risk as they have a reputation for terrible work and ridiculous price gauging; many owners just didn't service them, or used local, untrained mechanics to do the work at cheapest cost. Check for crash damage, and underside damage (speed bumps are legion here). When the car was brought in, did they replace every single rubber part, fuel line, etc? The climate here is terrible for such things. Also note that in the 80s there was no real 'Gulf spec' Ferrari, they were typically just Euro-spec cars which were imported to the Gulf.

I have a 91 Swiss-spec TR I bought in Dubai and have spent over a decade slowly addressing all the accrued damage and deferred maintenance incurred by previous owners. I was ok with that because the car was really, really cheap (I bought it in 2009 at the peak of the GFC from a guy who literally had to catch a flight), I enjoy projects and have understood from the start that even if I were to make the car perfect (a money losing proposition compared to buying a perfect car) the market would always discount my car significantly due to its time spent in the Gulf. In other words, if it is not stolen and the VIN has not been tampered (i.e. to clone a car which has not been stolen) and it is seriously discounted compared to decent EU/ US cars, it could become, at best, a good driver. In your market, I would just look for a no-stories car; the difference in price would almost certainly be worth it when you sell, especially if you have to fix it.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why not?
    if you can do all the work by yourself and the price would be ok to buy then all is ok

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    After spending years in saudi, i saw many high dollar cars totally thrashed and then discarded like you or i would toss off a thread bare sock.

Then, some expat buys it for next to nothing and sends it back home. Once realizing the true restoration cost, the car gets flipped.... if it is lucky, it’ll get some lipstick.

7. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Plenty of nice US cars available.

blkdiablo33 likes this.