MIE Biturbo Rises from the Ashes | FerrariChat

MIE Biturbo Rises from the Ashes

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Nov 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I just purchased this car from the mechanic I sold it to almost 20 years ago.

This will be the 4th time I have purchased chassis # ZAM331B00CB101365. We will simply call this car (1365)
    I first purchased this European built car # 1365 in the spring of 1982 in Torino Italy and immediately sent it over to the designer to have a body kit made for it.
    I'm sure many of you remember the MIE body kit. The system was designed by Mike Robinson and executed by Mr. Giorgetto Giugiaro's personal modular Sig Arrigio Galitzio of G-Studio.
    In these photos you can see a young Francis Mandarano in the red shirt talking withSig Arrigio Galitzio and Mike Robinson the tall guy on the right.
    Note the license plate number 249 you will see it often in this thread.
    The second photo is of a very young Adolfo Orsi on the driver side and his brother Roberto Orsi. Again note the license plate number 249. The 3rd & 4th photos are of how it looks today.

More photos to come
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308, JOEV, Astonish78 and 2 others like this.
  2. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I’m very fond of these, regardless of the unenviable reputation that frequently precedes them. Had one for 2.5 years almost 20 years ago and my 9 year old wishes I still had it (of all the cars I’ve owned + loved before). Hopefully, it stays with you for good this time and that this Phoenix soars!

3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Wonderful story, wonderful car. Please keep us updated on the restoration Frank, many members including myself are very, very fond of these cars.

When they were new and just released there was nothing like them on the road, they were (faults and all) great little cars.

-89 Zagato Spyder

4. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Did not know you have a soft spot for these Maseratis, Frank. But the car looks like a serious project with all the neglected stuff until its ready to run again. Keep us updated, i like these resurrection threads....
    Greetings from Paderborn

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    My favorite quote on Biturbos came from George Garbutt. “The biggest mistake I made with the Biturbos, was not welding the hood shut before we shipped the cars out!”

pearsonhaus likes this.
  6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I drove an 84 as my daily driver for about 2 years, including a drive from Boston to Las Vegas where I was for a few months, then to Northern California for the summer, then back to Boston in the fall. Had it from 97-99. A collision with a lady driving a Camaro who failed to yield right of way when turning left finally killed it. No issues with the car otherwise though.

4re308 and MrMark like this.
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Just when you think you're out! they pull you back in.
    FGM

staatsof likes this.
  9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Which GF movie best typifies the Biturbo? Maybe the assassination in the Lancia?

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    The car is now with
    High Mountain Classics in Fort Collins, CO. owned by Victor Holtorf
    Victor tried to turn over the engine but it was locked up. So he pulled the engine.
    I've given them the go ahead to pull the engine apart and see if it's worth rebuilding.
    This point I'm looking for a good running parts car. The condition of the body and the interior is not important.
    If any of you reading this can help me find one, I would appreciate it very much.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Sorry for the duplicate photos not sure how to keep that from happening?
    FGM

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So good to see you posting again Frank!

13. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Tragic how many ended up like this! I hope you are able to make a full restoration and preserve the history.

Please post the many interesting progress updates!

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You could always make an electric out of it Frank like those two English Gents did! ;)
    On BiturboZentrum we had a guy put a Lexus LS 400 V8 in one!

15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    The car has too much history to change motors. I plan to restore the mechanicals to original specs for now and other stuff later as my purse can afford.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wasn't being serious.

17. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What is the model of the Gotti's? They look like 140US but with face mounted barrels/lips.

Lovely story, I look forward to seeing the process.

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Not sure what model they are. I will check when we mount new tires.
    FGM

Tegethoff likes this.
  19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Wanted Maserati BiTurbo 5 SP 84/85 or 89/90
    Must be good running/driving condition
    bad body - bad interior OK Cash Waiting Contact me at 206 310 8380 [email protected]
    I will most likely pay more than I should so please let me know if you have any information that can lead to a purchase.
    I have determined that a parts car is what is needed to get this project moving.
    I I have instructed the shop to reassemble the original 2.0 engine so I can have it on display in my office/ Studio.
    I will pay good money for a good running parts car.
    People are telling me that a later 2.8 L injected engine can be adapted using the engine management electronics from the later car.
    If any of you have any specific knowledge on this type of conversion I would appreciate knowing more about it.
    Ciao,
    FGM

20. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley