Mileage Anxiety | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mileage Anxiety

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MaranelloDave, Nov 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Perhaps we need a new category of Ferrari owner, "end user".

2. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Before I bought my Scud, my wife and I had a chat about this exact topic because I'm not going to buy a garage queen. We basically came to the conclusion of buy it and enjoy it till it hits a certain price point. I bought it with 6k miles and now have almost 9k on it. I'll probably break 10k before Christmas and will be around 13-15k when my GT3 comes in. I'll probably lose 10-20k depending on market from when I purchased but I knew it going in and I've done nothing but enjoy the car without concern.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nice license plate!!!!!!!

humdizzle likes this.
  4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Buy some black electrical tape and place a strip over the odometer, then drive worry free.

The easiest way to get over the anxiety is to get the car quickly to the mileage that is causing you concern.

My car has over 50k miles so I suppose by Ferrari standards it should be worth negative dollars, but I honestly don't care.

nicholasn and Husker like this.
  5. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

A good idea, but I have a better idea.

Why bother w/ placing a strip of tape over the odometer, just use the trip odometer (reset to zero) so you don't look at the odometer constantly.

Husker likes this.
  6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    2012 Spider has unlimited mileage on the 3 year warranty. Otherewise I might be afraid to put miles on.

7. blue_skies

blue_skies Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    I remember the excitement I had as a kid when I heard an exotic car in the distance and the anticipation of its arrival. They're works of art that mix up the monotony of econo-boxes and boredom that plague the streets today. It's really those moments that led me to aspire to own them today, and that never would have happened if all the "owners" were too afraid to drive it.

It's a disservice to confine them to a garage in the same manner that it would be to confine a symphony to a sound-proof room.

So, in short, if you spend more time worrying and fearing what is ultimately quite mundane -- then the car owns you more than you own it.

Husker likes this.
  8. blue_skies

blue_skies Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    I remember the excitement I had as a kid when I heard an exotic car in the distance and the anticipation of its arrival. They're works of art that mix up the monotony of econo-boxes and boredom that plague the streets today. It's really those moments that led me to aspire to own them today, and that never would have happened if all the "owners" were too afraid to drive it.

It's a disservice to confine them to a garage in the same manner that it would be to confine a symphony to a sound-proof room.

So, in short, if you spend more time worrying and fearing what is ultimately quite mundane -- then the car owns you more than you own it.

Graz likes this.
  9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    NOT really a good choice... Rock Hudson or Liberace would have appreciated though :=)

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Well you've certainly earned your screen name.
    ;)

If fact I see custodian a better choice. But then people would think janitor.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This phenomenon is what attracted me to the idea of getting an F-Car. Well, one of the things! There is a never ending supply of low miles cars to obtain. One can purchase an almost new car that is 10 years old!

12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I just noticed I am at 29,954 miles......

What will I do, what will I do ?

Sell the car before the 30,000 ? After all, it is unmarketable by some people's accounts ?

LOL at some of this, j/k of course. Already got my plugs, oil, brake fluid, etc.
    to do some of the 30K maintenance myself, and getting her ready for the next
    30,000 miles.

13. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I just saw this thread and the OP's post. I had to laugh. To me, buying a great car and not driving it is like marrying Ms. America and not having sex with her so that she'll still be a virgin for her next husband.

It's a car. Drive it. As someone noted early in this thread, unless you bought it as a garage queen and an investment, what difference does it make how many miles you drive it? If it already has 7K miles, it is not a garage queen. So take it out, drive it like you stole it, and get your use and enjoyment out of it. These cars are not investments that are going to appreciate highly in value. Maybe if it only had 70 miles on it, but you are way past that.

Drive it, enjoy it, and when you go to sell or trade it, you'll get what you get. It's kind of like those MasterCard ads, owning the car -- $XXXXX; the experience of driving the car to your heart's content -- Priceless.

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My wife seems to be saving me for my next wife.

:(

Jonathan Knight and Husker like this.
  15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great advice guys. Went up to the mountains again this weekend and added another 300 grin-inducing miles.

16. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Nice! Enjoy it while the weather holds up. It's getting cold in Maryland and the tires are quite slick in the cold to say the least :)

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    JP365 likes this.
  18. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Miles? I don’t know this word you speak of.

19. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I spent 20 years dreaming of and saving for a Ferrari. I don't intend to spend the next 10 + years "saving" it. Bought my Cali last year with about 13,900 on the odometer. Hope to turn 20,000 by the end of this season...about 700 miles to go!

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    C'mon man, get off the internet and stop babying that Cali!
    T

21. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi, Tom! Too bad we live so far apart! I'd love to go for a drive with you!

tomc likes this.
  22. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    103,000+ miles on my 575M, most of the miles were put on between marriages when I could just pack, get in the car and drive for 4-6,000 mile on a road trip. Not too many mile the past couple of years but will put a 1,000 on this week.

nicholasn, PJxxx, ifeelfree0 and 2 others like this.
  23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow!!
    T

ferrariformulauno likes this.
  24. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    Depends on what value you place on the experience of driving the car. Usually you can't know this until you have bought and live with it for a little bit.

I put roughly 7k miles on my 458 in 4 years. I feel I got my experience of ferrari ownership in that time frame. Sold it before it reached 20k miles because that was another drop that I didn't feel was worth it.

25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming