Mileage anxiety | FerrariChat

Mileage anxiety

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CoreyNJ, Jun 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    So I didn’t buy my “originally” 11,000 mile 2009 F430 to sit, but why do I get mileage anxiety or maybe mileage guilt when I drive it. I don’t flip cars often so it’s not like I’m worried about the value. Does anyone else have this problem?

thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

SingleClutch and ag512bbi like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is it a stick? of so your anxiety makes sense. if its f1, it doesnt matter.

GatedMurci, Oengus, tres55 and 2 others like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, I can understand where you are coming from. I have 2 high end cars at opposite ends of the spectrum, one with 13k miles, one with 30k miles that is newer. I definately am conscious about putting miles on the lower mile car (average 500 miles per year....but each one is epic). But won't hesitate to take the higher mile car out. They are very close to each other in value.

So I would postulate you bought the wrong car for your needs......unless you either have a shift in perspective, or buy a 2nd one to drive more.

I agree with TT that a F1 430 is not destined to be a collectible car (both mine are), so maybe that shift in perspective is what you need.

4. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    GatedMurci, m5shiv, GSF355 and 21 others like this.
  5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The value of your car depends on condition. I have a 360 spider with 40K that, with a few more things done, will be essentially as new. As long as I own it, it will remain that way regardless of how much I drive it.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You be you. If you have anxiety driving it, don’t.

a solution might be to get a secondary car to be your ‘driver’

cheers.

Husker and tomc like this.
  7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I still have a 996 GT3. Which when brand new for the first two years I drove as a daily and put 10k miles per year. Then I bought a JCW Mini Cooper as my daily so only put a couple of thousand on the GT3 a year.

Didn’t try to keep the miles off but at the time my kids hit an age where I didn’t drive a two seater a lot just on smaller trips like to the gym or if I had a nice drive to visit a customer where the roads were good for driving.

Now my kids are older, one is almost done with University, more two seat driving is back. Did I mention my wife hates to drive in sports cars, she hates the noise and how low they are.

Anyway, I think the issue is more guilt of putting miles on the 430. I guess maybe I should have bought a car with 30k or more and then I wouldn’t feel bad being the person to put all the miles on it.

How many of you guys took a low mileage car and drove the heck out of it and did you feel guilty putting so many miles on the car?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I’ve got an 812 I bought with 900 miles on it about 10 months ago and am now up to almost 8k. It’s quite a high spec car. I’m watching depreciation and it’s really bad on the 812, especially so with high spec car. I am thinking the longer I drive the car the lower the average cost per year of driving it will be, even if I put a lot of miles on it. With your 430 it’s obviously not at a steep part of depreciation curve but maybe the logic still holds? If you put say 20k on it over several years the delta in value divided by number of years may not be so large.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I used to feel that way, but not anymore. While it's nice to have a low mileage car, in the end, it's still just a car. Depreciation is going to happen one way or another. Just drive it. What's the point of "saving it" for someone else?

day355, Caphill, NuorderSG and 4 others like this.
  10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Not sure if you can do this on an F430 (never tried on the one I had) but the first thing I did on the two Californias I've owned is change the TFT odometer reading to show the fuel range instead ;)

11. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Nope. I refuse to buy a car I won’t drive and park at the grocery store. It’s just a car.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my f40 has 3,800 miles, my 07 430 has 3k, my 06 430 has 20k, my 12 FF has 34k...i can go on...

Oengus, ryalex, SingleClutch and 2 others like this.
  13. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Pretty much. When I was looking at the F430 with 3k miles all I could think about was sucker. I was more interested in cars that were driven than ones that sat. The low mileage cars sold for no more than regularly driven and enjoyed cars.

GatedMurci, paulchua and jdlegg like this.
  14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Wow, a lot of people in the world right now wish they had this problem.

paulchua, LARRYH and Gary Sandberg like this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yup, it's like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend! :D

16. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    You should have anxiety about not driving enough miles! The more miles you drive, the less you're paying in the end per mile!

audi_328, Robb, Dane and 2 others like this.
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I got my 612 with 4400 miles on it in August, 2013 and right now it has 44,000 miles. My only guilt is I haven't driven it enough.

This year sucks, no car shows, the FCA Annual Experience in Canada which I was registered for has been cancelled. I'm putting very little mileage on the car. We're going to Nashville for the week of the 4th, but it's all highway miles and once we get there the car will just sit so we're going to take my wife's boring Panamera. :(

ryalex and RonH like this.
  18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Best thing that ever happened to me was I decided my 612 was a keeper. It had been at about 10K when I bought it and it took me about 2 years to make the keeper decision. Up to that point I was mileage conscious. After that it didn’t matter any more and I had a whole lot more fun driving it.

When I am buried in it I doubt anyone will care about the mileage, the embalmer will be more concerned about trying to get the silly grin off of my face.

day355, psych0hans and Nospinzone like this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D

Yes, like that other saying, nobody ever laid on their deathbed and said gee I wish I didn't drive my Ferrari so much!

SingleClutch, Dane, PTG1 and 5 others like this.
  20. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Best thing to do to avoid this ever happening again is buy high mileage examples. Seriously. I never had anxiety over it, but I sure noticed doubling the miles on my 360 from 4700 at purchase, didn't blink an eye adding the same number of miles to others I've had starting at much higher mileage. You'll pay less and enjoy it more, buy high mileage from now on.

rvp325, paulchua and Dewinator like this.
  21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the best way to avoid putting too many miles on your ferrari, is to have many ferraris to spread the miles out on..... :)

if this is not an option, then put miles on it.
    you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
    nobody ever lays on their deathbed regretting the mileage they put on their cars.

(yes, i went for an early morning drive this morning )

x z8, day355, Caphill and 8 others like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  23. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I agree with all of you that said the less you drive your car, the more you lose (depreciation, cost/mile for insurance/registration, etc). Only thing is I am going for a long vacation of 2000 miles or so, I prefer to take my C7 because after a few hours, the specialness (I know that is not a word) wears off.

24. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    The only regret I have when selling a car is that I did not drive it enough, not that I drove it too much. Enjoy the car

25. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    My view is you are not on this plant for long; drive it and enjoy it.

Robb and Boomhauer like this.