Mileage: how low is too low for used F to buy as a DD | FerrariChat

Mileage: how low is too low for used F to buy as a DD

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sunshine1, Sep 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Many posts on the Forum say that cars with very low miles are not the Cars to buy if someone want to enjoy and drive them regularly (more problems coming your way if garage queens). I agree.

I'm doing research regarding the purchase of a California 30 (2013/2014) or an FF (2012/2013).

So, how low is too low (mileage) knowing that I want to use my car as a daily driver (5,000+ miles a year in Florida), meaning I need a car that has been driven to avoid various issues? 1,000 miles a year? 2,000 miles a year? Other number? Thank you.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    We bought a 10 year old Testarossa with less than 1000 miles and it has been perfect. I was involved with an F40 that had 2600 miles put on it in the 1st year. It got built into a house for the next 18 years. Then it was removed and new belts fluids etc. The only negative things that happened with that car was as a direct result of the poor quality work by the dealer who did that servicing.

If you park and don't use a good car its still a good car. If you park and dont use a POS it will still be a POS when you decide to start using it.

Over 40 years in the Ferrari business and that has been my experience.

You are talking about a 10 year old car. The only issues it will have it would have had anyway and been fixed under warranty. Now you will have to pay. Thats all. Buy it, service it, replace the tires then drive it and forget the internet wives tales.

020147, dodici, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's not just about mileage, frequency of use is also a potential issue. As an example, compare two cars; same model, same model year, same mileage. One car is a FL/CA,etc. car that is driven regularly, perhaps a DD. The other is snow belt car that sits for six or more months out of the year. Which car would be more desirable in the secondary market if such usage factors were known? I'd take the FL/CA hands down.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I added a 2019 Portofino as a DD , it had 5000 miles when I bought it in January. I’m getting ready to turn 8000 in a few weeks. I’ve not had one single problem and g-d willing I won’t. I’m driving this one till my warranty ends in about 1.5 years.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Modern Ferraris like the Cali or FF you are considering are fine regardless of high miles or low miles - For a low mile car you will want to have it checked out and all the fluids/filters changed and soft parts (seals/soft suspension components etc.) checked so you have a baseline but you will be fine. For a high-mileage car the maintenance history is important - make sure the car has been properly maintained/serviced by either a Dealer or certified/reputable Independent.

If you buy a low-mileage car obviously don't take it out right away and track it or whip the hell out of it - let it settle into a habit of regular use cycles and you will be fine.

Whatever your budget is put some $$ aside in a "Ferrari Account" for proactive regular service / unexpected issues / "while you are in there's" and then drive the heck out of it and enjoy it!

Cheers :)

6. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    For modern cars I wouldn’t worry too much about reliability with low miles/sitting.

i think the main issue is that u will be paying a premium for a super low mile car. If you are going to rack up 25k in the next 5 years, that premium may not be worth it

Carbon Bits, tomc and Shorn355 like this.
  7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^ I and many others would argue you are actually better off buying a mid-mileage car that has been regularly driven BUT properly maintained - You will save on the purchase and you will save in the long run from my experience. My 355 GTS had 23K on it when I bought it in 2010 - now has 46K - minimal problems / meticulously maintained before and during my ownership / driven at least once a month weather permitting (I have 5 cars). My 458 Spider had 7K on it when I bought it in 2019 - now has 12K - zero problems other than secondary air valve getting clogged up and needing replacement.

The years/models you are looking at I would think anything either side of 20K is perfectly acceptable and smart for the reasons stated above - Just me - Cheers :)

Texas Forever, Ffre92 and bumcubed like this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I bought a 2013 california30 with HS with 10k miles as a dd and it has been great so far love it drive it rain or shine pot hole or not had it maybe 6 months plan to heep
    On driving it till she wears out she sounds great and I really like it

Cigarzman and Texas Forever like this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our Cali had only 5K miles in about 5 years when we bought it. Was serviced regularly at Miller. It's been relatively trouble free now some 30K miles and 6+ years later. Get a PPI and check the service records...T

10. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you for your candor. I’ve owned a number of Maseratis over the years (+ german cars) but never a Ferrari. This will be my 1st Ferrari and I’m more fearful compared to buying from the brands I already know. I’m glad to have posted on Fchat because what I gather is that the models I want are solid, are daily drivers and if maintained well will last for many years. Purchasing a right one is the challenge but PPIs and records will tell me the stories.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    You are totally right. Thank you for your comments.

12. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Yes, I will do a PPI every time I find a car that could be the right one. I have no intention of tracking the Cali or FF: pleasurable daily driving is the goal.

I am putting aside an average of $5,000 a year for maintenance and repairs (not including gas and insurance): for example $50,000 for 10 years (I’m retiring in a few years and intend to keep the car for a good number of years).

Shorn355 likes this.
  13. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you all for your posts and comments, I appreciate it. It makes me feel better. Nothing beats talking directly to owners :)

All the 2012/2013/2014 cars I’m currently looking at have 18,000 to 35,000 miles (the average being around 25,000 miles)

LARRYH and technom3 like this.
  14. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent plan :) BTW there is an absolutely gorgeous Cali for sale on FChat - Gentleman named Dan - I will see if I can find the thread - Not sure of the spec you are looking for but if I had the garage space this car would be in my stable - Will try to find and update this thread - Cheers :)

Found =>
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2016-california-t.665155/

15. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you so much for the link. :)

My budget is around $130,000 (+$5,000 a year for repairs/maintenance), therefore the 2016 T is much more than my budget (I can get a 2012/2013 Cali30). Now…I could increase my budget to around $150,000 but at that level it would have to be for an FF 2012/2013.

16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Totally get it and admire you setting and working within financial parameters - believe me that approach will make the car MUCH more enjoyable than being over-extended. Keep you eyes open on here obviously and I am in Ferrari of Denver all the time so if anything pops up or is pending popping up in your scope I will ping you - Good luck - The chase is half the fun :)

17. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you very much for your comments + Denver.

Yes, financial parameters must be set so that a person can enjoy a car in peace and within his/her means.

Cigarzman and Shorn355 like this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Truthfully the 2013 -14 cali30 is a great car last of the NA V8 cars and have all the kinks worked out of it I doubt you would spend 5 k a year unless you are including tires etc…but the biggest issue for any of these is keeping the battery fully charged i drive mine cali everyday yet i still plug it in to the temder atleast over night once a week.. I have owned 3 californias and maybe a dozen or so ferraris and for all the late model cars i will say the battery is the most likely cuprit withany issue and i always get a new one when i buy a used fcar.other than that i rarely have any real non cosmetic issue…
    Of them all I really like my cali 30 HS..MORE FUN as a daily..
    Beat of luck and dont stress it…..