Mileage Question / 328GTS | FerrariChat

Mileage Question / 328GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by CDBELL, Dec 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Hi All, I have found a 1988 328 GTS ABS car that I am considering buying. It has everything I am looking for but the car's current mileage is not represented on the odometer. The car spent time in Europe and had a Kilometer odometer installed as required. So the actual mileage is the US odometer and Kilometer odometer combined. This was done by one owner and by two very reputable Ferrari Dealers and full documentation of the odometer swaps comes with the car. Just curious if this would be a major concern to most buyers? The paperwork seems to be in order.

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    It was common for 1980/81 308s and as long as you have documentation it should be fine.
    It all goes back to legit paperwork.
    Are you worried about you or the next guy who gets your car?

waymar and CDBELL like this.
  3. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    I feel pretty comfortable with the story and documentation. This is my first older ferrari purchase and know how sensitive mileage can be with Ferrari's. I just don't want to get stuck with a car that is not desirable or difficult to sell in the future. I appreciate your feedback.

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Don’t buy your car for the next guy
    Buy it because YOU want it and it appeals to you
    The other stuff will take care of itself

mike996, MFlanagan and CDBELL like this.
  5. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    But if you do buy for the next guy, this may be a difficult sell.....

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Well, just remember, it's the Ferrari owners that are sensitive about mileage, not the Ferrari

The cars are surprisingly durable.

CDBELL likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    But to answer your question if it checked out mechanically, it wouldn't bother me.

Im not alone out there.

CDBELL likes this.
  8. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Thank you for the feedback, I did buy the car. The PPI was performed by a reputable Ferrari mechanic and we did find a check list of minor repairs needed but the previous owner agreed to pay for them.

9. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    The 328 is bulletproof if
    the 328 is bulletproof if you take care of it, I got 87K miles on mine and it runs very well
    and enjoy it as much as I can.I did not buy it as an investment but to enjoy it.I think the 328 will never be a good investment from a
    Financial point but it is still one of the best looking Car FERRARI ever made

SpyderGT, CDBELL and Beetleything like this.
  10. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    My 328 is on its 2nd speedometer. Apparently, the previous owner had to replace it because he reset the trip odometer while the car was moving. It says in the owner's manual not to do that. So beware. He gave me the old speedometer so I add that to the current reading to get the true mileage.

I don't know how many miles yours is indicating but the wear or lack or it, on the driver's seat bolster, is always a good indication of a car with more than or less than 30K miles.

CDBELL likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At that age mileage means little to most. Condition is what counts. The worst thing about cars of that age when I help a client shop is the quality of the work that has been done. I look very closely for tell tales about prior service and if it looks like it was well cared for. Few were.

rjlloyd, SpyderGT and CDBELL like this.