Mille Miglia 2004 pictures! | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2004 pictures!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Harry-SZ, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Shots!
    Thanks

3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Ditto, great photos. The local Orlando paper reported an accident between an American 77-year old with his 30-something daughter in a '32 Alfa and a Japanese team resulting in the deaths of the two in the Alfa. Any further details? Thanks in advance.

KevFla

4. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Harry,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your pictures !!!
    Never saw anybody so faster for posting pictures of an event !!!

5. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    Thanks for the pics.

I love the painting of the following car:
    http://www.gummen.org/images/album/MM2004126.JPG

The flames are really cool on the car. The painting with flames and number #26 are the same at it was in 1955 during a race at Goodwood.

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

http://www.millemiglia.it/v_eng/7_3.php?num=21

The last four ability trials are cancelled because of a car-crash, happened at 2.15 pm of Saturday 8 th May, in which the Wisconsin 77-year-old Harlan Schwartz dies in Greve in Chianti, situated between Siena and Florence. After bumping into the back of the Japanese crew Sasaki Hiroyuki - Todo Makoto (Cisitalia 202 n. 185), Schwarzt’s Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 veers off the road. In spite of the prompt assistance of the MM medical and logistic staff, the American driver’s heart stops beating. His navigator, the 33-year-old daughter Alessandra, suffers a fracture of her arm, while the Japanese crew’s conditions are not serious. The Mille Miglia loses a dear friend along a stretch open to the normal traffic, where the speed allowed to the veteran cars is 35 km/h. The pain for the fatal driving mistake of the American racer saddens the cheerful atmosphere of the MM 2004. The security staff, no fewer than 6.000 people, guarantees the efficiency of the organizational structure: the police, the route stewards, the race officials and the logistic staff have worked very hard.

7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Thanks for the clarification. It's interesting to read your reply/the news story and contrast it with the discussion taking place on the General Ferrari postings on F-Chat regarding the 360 Spider accident in the English "Gumball Rally." A world of difference in approach and attitude!

KevFla

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Great gallery! What a glorious eclectic collection. Thanks for sharing.

I'm amazed at the number of red cars...well beyond just Ferraris.

Not that I'm complaining.

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
  10. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Sad about the death of Harlan Schwartz. He won his class at the Cavallino concours in Palm Beach this year with the car.

11. 67GTC

67GTC Karting

Dec 30, 2003
    Westchester, CA
    A different view from SCM Online.... although I find it hard to believe that the MM organizers would issue a press release without having their facts in order.

"Volume 4, Number 22

77-year-old Harlan Schwartz of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, a longtime SCMer, died May 8 near Siena, Italy, in an accident in the Mille Miglia. According to MM organizer Constantino Franchi, Schwartz’s 1932 Alfa Romeo was struck from behind by a 1947 Cisitalia driven by Sasaki Hiroyuki and Todo Makoto of Japan. Schwartz’s car then left the road, striking a tree. Schwartz’s 33-year-old daughter Alessandra, who was also in the car, suffered minor injuries and is expected to make a full recovery. SCM extends our condolences to the Schwartz family. - David Slama, Director, SCM Gold"

67GTC

12. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #12 Boudewijn, May 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Two were made, S/N's 19005-00003 (the one presented here) and 19005-00004, a red coloured species. #00003 took actively part at different Mille Miglias Historico, in this pic in 1987. The other pic is of #00004.
    BTW very nice gallery it is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

There were also 2 spider versions of the Alfa Sportiva..

http://www.ramei-modell.com/eng/img/sportiva1.jpg

The 2nd version that still exists today and has run in a number of MM retros

http://www.ramei-modell.com/eng/img/sportiva.jpg

The first test version

A man by the name of Tino Martinoli, who was one of the people involved in building the car below, the AMP special (Alfa-Martinoli-Prete) was also partially responsible for Ferrari's first win. He had a shop in Rome, and the 125 was repaired when it spun a bearing in practice..

http://www.gummen.org/images/album/MM2004030_s.JPG

By the way, what is this one? It looks to me to be a circa 1935 Fiat Ballila modified by Siata or someone. I have no idea as to the coachbuilder..

http://www.gummen.org/images/album/MM2004002_s.JPG

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interestingly Alfa Romeo orginally kept both Sportiva coupes in their museum (sp?) and when an Australian discovered the first Alfa RL 'something', the museum suggested that he swap it for any car that they had 2 of!

He chose the RED Sportiva. Pretty cool way of dealing with this issue.

Pete

15. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Wonderful car...I wish more were made. It looks like the car is on a 1900 chassis. The Sprint Veloce that followed was a lot more flamboayant.

One web site said that the red one was with a Swiss collector. Perhaps he moved there from Australia.

1900 cars and the one offs seem to be commanding larger sums as they are elligible for all the vintage events. With a more modest budget one could contemplate the forgotten ugly duckling: I have always had a soft spot for the 2600 Sprint....not as pretty as the Sportiva, but kind of like a big GTV....

thx
    luke

16. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The Sportivas weren't on a 1900 chassis. The Sportiva that was in Australia was traded for a Tipo G1 that was in Australia. It was the only G1 that still existed. I belive teh guy who had the Sportiva in Australia passsed away circa 1990, and the car was sold.

As to 2600s, I like the Tipo 102s and 106s too. Iv'e had more than 15 in total! Is the blue one yours? VERY nice...The grey one looks like a car that was in northern California a few years ago....

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
  18. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I wish it were mine. I live in the second most expensive area for real estate, so a 2 car garage is it. The Ferrari and the Alfa Spider share it, while the two drivers stay outside. Someday....when I move to "fly over country"
    :)

19. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

@drEtceterini : This http://www.gummen.org/images/album/MM2004002.JPG is a Fiat indeed, but that's all I know for now. I haven't found any extra information on this car. I only know that the car was displayed at the Mille Miglia-shop in Brescia 2 years ago.

And the Sportiva Spider was also great!! I was looking at some other cars when the spider came around the corner. I took some quick action pictures as he was driving past me (pictures came out nice though). Right after that the car was parked on the square and 100 people gathered round it to watch the car.
    Pictures where impossible after that. :)

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    To Harry-SZ:

Just noticed you live in Utrecht. Lovely town.

Unfortunately, the Fiat (Siata?) doesn't have the numbers on it as yet, so I can't look it up in the MM entry list. I also like the interesting coachwork on it; especially the grille....Castagna maybe?

The reason I think it was modified by Siata is that I don't know of any FIAT factory grille that has that kind of curve in it....

Thanks for the great photos!!

Dott.Ing.Stu Schaller "dretceterini"

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    From the brief description it sounds more as if a heart attack, like Denny Hulme.

Rest in Peace.

(Moment of Fchat silence....................................................................)

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Beautiful!!!!! Thanks for posting. A once in a lifetime experience, I would imagine.

23. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

24. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Great pics!

By looking at your pics and seing the cars that were at the event...my favorite is the that silver/red 250 TdF LWB. (s/n 0747GT).

25. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Hard to pick a fovorite, but since I love odd cars....
    http://www.gummen.org/images/album/MM2004097_s.JPG

This is the first DB. It had a Citroen motor. The later DBS were Panhard twin cylinder racers. DB also built some street cars Called the HBR5