Mille Miglia 2010 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2010

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Oct 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Great pics, that is some collection of cars!

What is the hall in Brescia used for normally?

2. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Fantastic pictures!

Onno, what time did u arrive in Rome? We were there when the sky's dark :(

3. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    That's me in the last picture with the red Lusso.
    I'm sorry!
    Regards.
    Cris.-

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Who cares? :D

We were at the Castel Sant'Angelo around 8pm.

No sweat!

Onno

5. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Lucky you! We reached around 9.30 & couldn't enter Castel due to the jam & parking. Several others were lost in Rome as well due to road closures & I finally found a room near midnight :(

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes those pix of snow in the Appenines is for real. I've not seen quite so much but have driven thru snow squalls up there at this time of year. just one man's opinion tongascrew

7. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Julio, Oscar, Onno and others: thanks very much for your pictures and stories! As they say it is "la corsa più bella del mondo"...

Gr. Martin

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    thanks, Onno - yeah, I'd say the interview definitely implies that it is a legitimate TdF. If it is, in fact, s/n 1069 (per post 208), then another PF Coupe bites the dust.

Very disappointing that Ferrari would have allowed this. I thought we were discussing the fact, at the beginning of this thread, that Ferrari was going to do an on-the-spot Classiche certification? Guess not.

I believe it is extremely important the the Factory lead the effort to identify replicas. I thought that was part of the point behind Classiche? I have had two recent experiences where replicas were prominently displayed at FCA events. A Club official told those of us w/ raised eyebrows to "lighten up, it's a car club." I think this is a totally improper response. But if the Factory is going to allow replicas to purport to be what they are not and lend them at least temporary legitimacy, then why should the club be the one to draw the line for ensuring that legitimate Ferraris are shown at Ferrari events?

Since it appears that the Factory and the FCA are now allowing replicas to run and be displayed amongst the real Ferraris, I think it should be a requirement that any such replica at a Ferrari event should be affirmatively identified as a replica and what the donor car was.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There is VERY serious evidence and a Law Case before the Italian Courts that IMO suggests that Ferrari itself has Classiched a pure replica: 0818.

The 0818 they have Classiched has it's "Chassis Plate" on the Left side of the Chassis. Anyone ever seen a Prototype Ferrari with it's chassis plate on the Left Side of the Chassis?

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Lovely irony if Ferrari, staunch defender of the purity of the marque when it comes to Tee Shirts, is hoist on its own petard.

11. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    can you elaborate on this? Maybe in a new thread.

George

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    HEAR HEAR I go back a bit on this subject of the need for an orginised format for Ferrari reproductions. The folks with P series repros have what appears to be a good club for their cars. I am supprised by Jim"s reference to 0818 but he should know. I would be the first to join and would definitely support Classiche support. They would need to clean up their act and weed out any repros which don't belong. just one man's opinion tongascrew

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #240 Napolis, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    "As far as Ferrari is concerned, there were three 330 P models produced as factory race cars in the 60's. Each was identically built with a 12-valve, 4-litre, 360bhp engine. The fate of two is known. Chassis No 0820 is in the US and chassis number 0822 in France, both with collectors. The fate of the third car, chassis number 0818, is still a question mark to everyone but Ferrari and Mr. Egon Hofer.

It seems that back in 1967, Mr. Hofer purchased what he thought to be chassis number 0818, for which he states he has "all of the documentation". This car is well known in the racing community as being driven by Graham Hill and Joachim Bonnier to a second place finish in the 1964 24-hour Le Mans race. The following year the same car was driven to victory by Ludovico Scarfiotti and John Surtees at the Nuuml;rburgring.

The problem is that both Mr. Hofer and Ferrari have identical 330 P's with the same chassis number (0818). Ferrari has issued a "certificate of authenticity" for the car it owns. Industry experts state that alone should be the final word. But for Mr. Hofer, who thought he owned a $1.4 million dollar Ferrari, the fight isn't over.

After a five-year battle in the court system, Ferrari has agreed to look at Mr. Hofer's car in Maranello, but Mr. Hofer feels like they will deem it a fake as soon as he drives it in and his battle will only get more difficult. The courts are getting very close to issuing a decision, based on extensive testimony from many experts and witnesses in the racing community.

One thing is for sure; two cars can't possibly have the same chassis number, so one of them is a fake. Will we ever know the truth?"

[Source: World Times Online]

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134974923&postcount=11

Ferrari has Classiched the Violati car which Hoffer's Legal filings shows has it's chassis plate on the Left not right side of the chassis and is referred to in the post I cited as a "replica" which I agree with.

14. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Wow....just...wow

I've never seen more beautiful cars gathered anywhere, it must have been an amazing sight.

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #242 bigodino, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Confirmed fake (as stated in post #208).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Well, he is not only missing the original body, he is also missing the apex bij 1 meter......

ciao
    Oscar

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Well, whaddayaknow. Frankly I'm utterly disgusted.

Onno

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ditto.

Pete

19. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ha! This is Ferrari we're talking about so anything is possible.

Just to be clear, it is a fake Tour de France but not a fake Ferrari. Of course, there is a difference between an original Ferrari chassis rebodied and a complete replica.

Jonathan

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    A TdF is a Ferrari, so a fake TdF is a fake Ferrari. A fake is a fake.

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Byanp, I full agree. The problem is that Classiche is not fulfilling its original purpose, and that at the same time tolerance for fakes is stedily increasing among the Ferrari "community".

Various fakes were displayed without identification at the Geneva Car Expo last year. Classic rallies in Europe are increasingly accepting fakes in violation of their own rules. Protests about fakes are usually received aggressively ("How dare you question Mr. So an so's car?") or with a shrug ("So what? It's a well made replica!").

As an aside, I have found that a sure way to help identify fakes is by the number of extra Ferrari badges and shields carried, as well as the color. Red with many badges is a very reliable indicator of fakeness, proving once again that dishonesty and ignorance usually work hand in hand.

At the same time, Ferrari Classiche is aggressively marketing its "services". In the past year I have been bombarded with Emails, brochures, and phone callas, including the last one offering a massive discount, particuolarly if I certified all my cars together.

Finally, I have received surprising offers for my 250 PF in the past few months. Somehow I suspect that the prospective buyers are not motivated by an appreciation of a classic and original Ferrari GT, but rather by its LM series engine, that they can already imagine on their fake TR or TdF. THey will of course have to drive over my dead body before that happens.

We can't do much about Ferrari's greed and lack of historical rigor, but we can help by identifying and qualifying fakes for what they are: destroyers of beauty and history. The indulgence often found on Fchat is IMO also part of the problem, not to mention the welcome afforded to sundry destroyers of Ferraris and Pininfarina wannabes.

This situation is very, very preoccupying. Our passion is at serious long term risk. And Ferrari Classiche will not be getting any of my money.

Some can call me a purist, but they should know that soon there won't be much left to be pure about. What will they call me then?

22. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Julio, you are so "funny", and I do not mean in a demeaning manner. On the contrary, you have my utmost respect for your passion and all other virtues. Don't change a thing. w/ smiles Jimmy

23. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Stunning pics!

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Fairs, shows, expositions etc.