Mille Miglia 2011 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2011

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Nov 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    #101 Lars Theunissen, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #102 Julio Batista, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Very instructive comments from all.

Lars, thank you very much for the pictures! At Buonconvento we were already fighting the dissapearing brakes, but we made it back to Brescia, of course. Who needs brakes?

We lost one whole day (Bologna-Rome) because of a broken half shaft (again), that we were able to replace because we carried a spare!

Incidentally, the man in the pictures who is pulling up his pants is my brother Pablo. He drives like a fearless angel and plays the unsinchronized gearbox as if it were a violin, and sometimes a trumpet...

3. pueche

pueche Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jaime Pueche
    Hi Peter:

Was nice to see you last week.

About your comments, I now think the Tribute is part of the problem, because it´s the other way round in my opinion: Because modern Ferrari´s are now part of the show, ALL the modern Ferrari´s in Italy and many from Europe join the caravan and are part of it....without paying the entry fee.

If the Tribute is to take place, they have to be drastic about the rules. When the first car of the MM arrive to any city, no more Ferrari´s on the Tribute should be aloud to enter the cities, and should go on the support cars route. When I arrive at my control time for lunch at Buonconvento, and I was car number 60, there were still about 100 cars of the Tribute on the parking having lunch very relaxed. I ate in 15 minutes, run for the next leg, and drove for the next five hours non stop on a 1931 car paying more attention to modern Ferrari´s driving mad around me than to the road.

Sorry but I don´t like it!!

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #104 JazzyO, May 18, 2011
    It was a shame to miss you again, Julio.

We had a disastrous MM, missing the start by one hour because of a failed coil, and retiring on the first morning after 300 miles with a failed crankshaft bearing. We missed all the fun bits: the start, the finish, the roads to and from San Marino, Rome, the Appennines, etc...

I am bitterly disappointed but what can you do? Just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Onno,

I too am sorry not to have seen you, and I feel and understand your pain and dissapointment: Of my four Mille Miglia, I was able to enjoy the whole event only once!

As you say, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't know what to say, other than you have all my simpathy!

Take care,

Julio

6. pueche

pueche Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jaime Pueche
    Hi Onno

Sorry to hear it didn´t go well. I saw the car at the Brescia centre but didn´t see you.

Well, I assume this is motorsport, isn´t it?

Hope to see you soon!

Jaime

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    HI Onno,
    hope the car is back on the road soon!

Jaime,
    sorry - but the Mille Miglia of our days is NOT any kind of Motorsport.

Ciao!
    Walter

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    As I mentioned in an earlier post that was deleted by the administrator: no modern Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. has something to do with the MM. So they should not be included in any kind within this event.

Ciao!
    Walter

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi Walter,

In your opinon, is any contemporary historical rally a kind of Motorsport? Which criteria would you use to qualify an event as such?

Cheers,

Julio

10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Totally agree with this.

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Thanks, but not my car.

Onno

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I absolutely agree!

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    we've had this discussion before. I don't see any issue with the Ferrari Tribute, just as long as it doesn't interfere with the real thing. Last year there were no issues that I am aware of and I didn't hear any complaints from the MM Storica entrants. I certainly did not see any of the MM entrants until we (in the Tribute) had already finished at Fiorano.

I did see the Tribute running into the old cars this year on the Futa pass (and going on Jaime earlier than that too), and that is not right. The events should be clearly separated. It is a mystery to me why the events should start so close together. Why not start the Tribute 3 hours earlier, and have separate lunch spots?

Onno

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Forgot to mention, Julio: what a gorgeous car!

There were many droolworthy Ferraris in the MM this year, I've seen absolutely fantastic cars!

Onno

15. dino286

dino286 Karting

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Eugène Vingerhoeds
    #115 dino286, May 18, 2011
    Here you are.
    Some 20 km South of the Lake Garda.

Dino286

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I heard that a number of tribute participants decided to just stay in bed on saturday and leave Rome later.

17. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #117 Julio Batista, May 18, 2011
    Thank you Onno.

Here's a picture of the most historically significant racecar in the world, driven by Mika Hakkinen, co-piloted by Juan Manuel Fangio (nephew IIRC).

18. dino286

dino286 Karting

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Eugène Vingerhoeds
    #118 dino286, May 18, 2011
    Some Fangio resemblance is clear, I think.

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Julio,
    a regularity- or touristic event is -IMO- no motorsports. Racing or Rallyiing is Motorsport, like Tour Auto (competition-section), Goodwood Revival, Classic Le Mans etc.!

The MM is a more touristic show.

Ciao!
    Walter

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Julio,the most historically significant racecar is the "722", the car that was used by Mos/Jenkinson to win the 1955-MM.

But this car is now retired by Mercedes. They are using the ex-Fangio-car since.

But no doubt - the price tag for this car -if it would ever come for sale!- would be very (!!!) big......

Ciao!
    Walter

21. Lars Theunissen

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    #121 Lars Theunissen, May 18, 2011
    And here you are too, on Saturday on the roundabout before entering the Ferrari factory grounds.

Ciao,

Lars T.

22. Lars Theunissen

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    I like the old cars and I like the modern cars too, so to me seeing the Tribute is certainly an added bonus of travelling to the MM. I agree however that there should be more time between the two: maybe a extra hour compared to now would do and the same lunch spots could then also stay. For the spectators, these combined lunch spots are definitely an advantage, as one can stay in the same location, after having (often finally) found a place to park.

Ciao,

Lars T.

PS: Onno, VERY sorry to hear about your quick drop-out of the MM, what a pity :(

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    #123 P.Singhof, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Hello Jaime

it was also nice to see you and your fabulous car again.

I agree with you that the Tribute should be more seperate from the historic MM, especially as the Ferraris run into the prewar cars that are very different. As someone mentioned above the prewars overtake in the villages to avoid overheating in traffic and the Ferraris blast by when the road leaves town. I ment that most of the Ferraris would be there anyway so this is not a bad idea to get extra money, otherwise the entrance fee might be getting higher. The problem with the Tribute is that the cars are concentrated, they would be spread over the entire field otherwise. I also agree that they will never be a real part of the MM as I do not think there are visitors comming to Italy just to see the new cars.
    To seperate them is a problem (I think you are right with the rules you suggested for entering a town) as time is very limited. They did leave allready at 5:30 in Rome and I do not think that they will leave earlier. It will be impossible as well to get them stated after the MM as they would run the entire night.
    What was a surprice to me: I was at Radicofani where many people come to visit in front of the church. When the Tribute was comming by there were about half of the people there, most of them just showed up to the first MM cars. So even the Italians did not seem to care much about the Tribute...

Peter

24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

great shots.

Vignale got it sóóóóóó right with this one.

25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    They do not use the Fangio-car. The car they use is chassis 10, the last one build, a lightweight version intended for the 1956 season but never ran (as they withdraw after the 1955 season).
    They have just put the Fangio-Sticker on that for the Fangio-theme this year. I think they did that once in the past as well when "722" (Chassis 4) was restored and Surtees was running this car at the Mille Miglia.