Mille Miglia 2011 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2011

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Nov 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #126 JazzyO, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Maybe this is sacriledge but why do they need to leave Rome in the morning? Let them leave two hours earlier on Thurs, overnight in Rimini area, then have them enter Rome in the late afternoon and carry on until Viterbo or possibly Siena and overnight there.

If I drove the Tribute again I wouldn't mind this. We didn't see the MM cars the entire race, so what's the difference with being a bit further up ahead? And another thing: last year we were sent from Bologna to a (very bad...) hotel in Imola, OVER THE HIGHWAY! So it is not without precedent. You can do a "finish" in Roma and then send the cars to Viterbo to overnight.

I'm probably being way too rational about this.... :)

Onno

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Might be...I think part of the Tribute thing is to feel the passion on the Italian spectators along the road. I doubt that there will be many of them the day before. And without them you can also run the Tribute in November :D

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #128 JazzyO, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Who is talking about the day before? I am talking 2 hours before. Everyone is already sitting down waiting for the cars.

Everything is exactly the way it is now, except that you start the Tribute 2 hours earlier or 100km up the road but at the same time.

Onno

4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    It was not ment so serious, but if you drive up from Rome to Viterbo you are actually a day in front. And as mentioned above, even one hour before the first prewar car there were not many spectators there. The earlier the Tribute comes by the less people will look at them. But I do not have a solution for that, these are just my observations....

5. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    IMO the Tribute cars all bunched up too much because the GTOs were at the very back - even though the F40s were leaving 30 minutes ahead of us you could catch them quite easily.
    I know it would elongate the race but by having the faster cars nearer the front you would avoid this bunching up on the road.

I agree that on Saturday afternoon I got stuck between the "real" cars after lunch - but this happened because we stopped for lunch where as the leading Mille Miglia cars cars just kept going - not sure what the solution is

6. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    The tribute is/was not the problem, but the 200 car clubs, wannabees and pretenders are....

Ciao
    Oscar

7. pueche

pueche Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jaime Pueche
    Hello all:

Nice chat about this problem.

By the way,thank you for the pictures.

At the end I get to the conclusion that the solution is very difficult, if it exists. It cost a fortune to organize this event, and I never forget people move and work to earn money. It is now at a point where this has become a huge business, a fabulous brand, and they need to get all the juice out of it. But sadly it has completely lost all it´s charm and character.

Sorry, but I have it clear. I don´t want to be driving a MM car mixed and completely surrounded by hundreds of modern Ferrari´s. Another problem is that they now sell packages for assistance and accompaning cars, which in terms of money is like another competitor, plus not registered assistance cars, plus, plus, plus....a total nightmare. I´ve done 7 MM, 3 with the previous team and 4 with the actual.

The actual team is impecable from the strictly organizing point of vies, not a single complain. Goos hotels, nice presents for competitors, shuttle from/to "parc fermes" quick....but the character is very much lost.

And the most important, the level of the cars is totally different. Before it was, with no doubt, much, much, much better. And of course it was a lot of atmosphere on the roads, and many people following the race with their classics. But today it´s crazy, absolutely crazy.

Having said that, my feeling today is that I will pass next year. There are a lot of events all round the place where you can enjoy driving on a more relaxed scenario.

Jaime

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When such competitors can no longer risk attendance don't we have to ask "what's the point of the MM"?

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ..any idea what happened when you are in an old car from the 50ies behind an F40 or 599GTO who suddenly brakes hard???

Ciao!
    Walter

10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you. I stand corrected.

11. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    So the very original 0564MD/0424MD was recently sanded down to reveal stiking blue livery under the red paint. It's nearly identical to 0556/0446M in it's current #8 livery. Did both cars wear identical livery? or?

12. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Peter you always complain about events as though they should be designed for the photographers ;).

The drivers in the 300SLs were having the drive of a lifetime courtesy of MB.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #138 Bryanp, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    Both cars were French Racing Blue from the Factory; our 0556(0446)MD to Picard and 0564(0424)MD to Dupont. Both cars ran in the 24 Hours d' Hyeres in May 1955 - our car was #10 for that race and driven by Gino Munaron. Dupont's was #8 which is the livery 0564(0424)MD wears today. Our 0556(0446) wears the #8 and the SF Shields as it did for the 1955 GP of Venezuela (Schell and Castellotti).

Pierre Mellinger has done a fantastic job w/ 0564(0424)MD!

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I've heard that the owner of 0564 found the MM too much of a risk to drive and decided not to finish the race. I can well understand where he comes from.

But I'm glad he was there, it was great to see the car again, especially on the road.

Onno

15. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    From the sounds of it, I don't know if I would feel comfortable driving my daily car.

George

16. Reddol

Reddol Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    Italy
    Pics of the crashed 599.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTyQwmzM5rA[/ame]

17. ExTaxi

ExTaxi Rookie

Jul 22, 2007
    Nieuwegein
    #142 ExTaxi, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i must say some of the tribute drivers did not behave correctly. but i almost never saw the historic cars, so i cannot see how we were such a hindrance to the vintage race?? the multiple motorcyclists and other wannabe cars that were allowed to hang onto our train were very problematic since they were not briefed on what we were doing or where we were going.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You might look into a Porsche 356 or Merc 300SL. ;)

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Have you no concern for my soul??? ;)

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Brakes are good for the soul. :)