Mille Miglia 2013 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2013

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by The Red Baron, Dec 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
    #101 Cris Bertschi, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of Don Rose and myself at the finish in Brescia.
    Not a Ferrari this time, sorry.
    We had a great time with this DB2/4 Mark II.

The organization showed some important flaws but the event is so great that the memories are always fantastic!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #102 Ferri, May 20, 2013
  3. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you, Onno. An absolutely epic event.

4. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    When I participated the MM it was organised by MAC, so how was the new organisation? I noticed more cars were allowed any comments on this?

The weather was not helping at the start but during the next two days is was ok?

Ciao
    Oscar

5. Yaku

Yaku Rookie

Apr 20, 2010
    NL/BE
    Cannot say anything about the organisation as I did not participate, but weather wise it was awful. Still, it didn't ruin spirits and it brought together a passionate crowd (it was not too busy in Brescia).

Also, I tried posting several pictures that I made at the Mille Miglia to this thread but I do not see them anywhere. Why is this?

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Yaku,

All initial posts are put in a moderation que until reviewed by a moderator.

Your posts have been approved, and are now posted.

Mike

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the pix Yaku!

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Great pics thanks for posting

9. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Does any firm do a video of the MM--

Would be interested in this

Ken Goldman

10. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  11. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Ok so another Mille miglia done and dusted. As with evrything one does in life there are the good parts and the bad. The same applied here.
    Most of the information about the event was listed on the web site however finding it was no user friendly and as a result made the phone call to check. Unfortunately there were several versions of what was occurring, depending on to whom and when you made that request.The weather was not kind to the organisers. As I was in an open car I can certainly (in hindsight) the men of the original years were tough. By the time we basically got up to start the second morning from Ferrara those guys had finished the event. Absolutely outstanding. Talking about getting up from the hotel was one of the downsides of the event since the hotel was closer to Bologna than Ferrara. Getting there at 0230am was not pleasant. Bologna a place we would ultimately revisit the same day on the back of a transporter for a sort of pit stop due to a carb float problem. However due to the excellent mechanical work provided where on the way to Assisi in a few hours, and caught up with the field.
    Again in Rome we got to a hotel (possibly 1 star) well after 0100am with no information when the pick up was the next morning. Arrival in Brescia was a great feeling and sense of accomplishment.
    The organisers certainly had there hands full but considering it was there first time organising the event overall did a remarkable job. There is always room to learn what the mistakes where and I hope they have listed all of them.
    Would I do it again, well in an open car it was certainly different than in a berlinetta. noticed two female teams in open cars and take this moment to say to them well done. It is an event that you should try at least once in your life as all those who on FerrariChat can testify too. The experience will remain with you for a life time.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Absolutely. In my case, for the right reasons as well as the wrong ones (terminal break down the first morning....).

But as an aside, I can't fail to notice there was much less attention given to the Mille Miglia on the F-chat forum this year. Far fewer pictures, stories (both of watching and participating). I wonder why. Shame really, it remains a fantastic event.

Onno

13. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    great pictures !!

thank you for sharing

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Amazing pics!

15. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    #118 BIRA, May 26, 2013
    Sorry again Oscar that we missed your lunch, btw there was like last year a fantastic storm immediately afterwards when we had lunch in San Sepulcro.

Here are some of the Ferrari pictures, starting by mine that i drove first time since i own it. Did some big work on carburators, valves adjustments, new exhaust line, wheels fully refurbished [read new wires] at Borrani, would not take a risk there, brakes fully re done, new tires -period correct Pirelli..driving nicely , of course much softer ride than SWB, looking more like Lusso. Nice torque though compared to SWB and very good brakes.

then pictures of Ferrari entrants to MM, primarily at scrutineering and then in Brescia in the afternoon. MM actual pictures in separate emails.

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i see that they must have run the ferrari tribute accompaniment rally again....i had thought the new organizer did not want to allow it...
    if thats the case, i may join again next year.

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    #120 BIRA, May 26, 2013
    I think one reason is the communication of the organizing group, the Automobile Club of Brescia is certainly less aggressive than MAC was. And also a lot of events are piling up, MM coming jsut after Tour Auto, Villa d'Este this week end , the SPA, the GoodWood etc etc making it very difficult to concentrate on any event.

Having said that, MM was wonderful, this is my 5th in a row [in 4 different cars..] and the first time in a pre war car, and 3rd time in an open car. Clearly MM has to be enjoyed in an open car, and it is not about the speed but about the journey...so a pre war car, still with enough power,,is the best solution. Specially as we were relatively early, means less traffic jam etc We had time for a nice [even would call it elegant referring to the place and our friends,,well on our side still in darkely ned overalls...] diner in Rome at 9:30pm and if we arrived the next day in Brescia onat 11:30pm this is because we were delayed by a leak in the radiator, that suffered all the potholes and vibrations,,,and we lost all the water..noticed it and we stopped before disaster stroke and an hour later , after a local gave us access to his welding equipement, we were back on the road to Modena! Thank you stranger, you are on the picture overlooking the mechanics! Of course thank you for the support crew too, MM very difficult unlike Tour Auto to do without crew as there is little time to catch up..Although i know Oscar did it with his beloved wife as support crew everytime!!

All in all, a little bit wetter that usual, but not to the point to make it unbearable,[with years you know which equipment you need to keep you warm and dry in an open car] and very enjoyable. Traffic may be less than usual, but again possibly linked to early departure, for the 3rd time i went up to San Marino, the last 2 times i skipped it otherwise would have fried the clutch as going uphill in massive traffic jam for 6 km is not good for classic cars,,this time we went up at our speed and had to stop no more than once or twice. Even in Futa and Raticosa we were able to keep our speed and go up in 3rd and 4th gear [out of 4, nice torque!].

For those who asked previously for the unpaved section, this is after Radicofani and before Sienna and it is called Via Eroica, maintained unpaved as it was when used for bicycle races at the beginning of previous century [yes!]. With more rain this year, at lest we avoided the huge amount of dirt!

so yes will be there next year!

18. Yaku

Yaku Rookie

Apr 20, 2010
    NL/BE
    #121 Yaku, May 26, 2013
  19. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    #122 BIRA, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
    Unfortunately there is no younger sister. 815001 was the first of the series of 101 6C 2300MM indentified by its chassis number and continuous history and a one off Touring body , entered by Scuderia Ambrosiana of Giovanni Lurani , for the 1938 Italian racing season with its new rules, for the Sport Nazionale category.

The car that did not sell in SPA auction (and you can read it in the catalogue description) never started its life with this body but as convertible Touring, delivered to Von Carnap, the Berlin agent , if the ALFA records are correct. And was never raced...When found with whatever body, unlikely though the Touring one, the then owner had 2 cars being built with a copy of the Siluro body...and still has one,, the other was sold and is the one recently offered at auction...the unfortunate thing but certain is that none of the 6C 38 and 39 race cars bodies survived to this date, neither the Siluro ( 38 and 39 season) , nor the Torpedino Brescia, ( 1939'and 1940) nor the Alla spessa.( the bodies of Tripoli Tobruk 1939 in lieu of MM). Nor the one off 1939 berlinetta for Trossi than ran Le Mans .

And most of the 38/39 race cars where rebodied as touring cars, as the Alfa factory was destroyed and they were producing very few chassis. A lot for the top brass of Mussolini's party. But most of the race cars chassis numbers are well known thanks to Fusi and Anselmi and more recently John de Boer and some others.

Sorry to post here as this is more an Alfa issue, although there is a link, as cars were prepared in 1938 by Alfa Corse, run by Enzo Ferrari still under contract after he folded the Scuderia Ferrari in the factory team and before he left by the end of the season.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    those alfas blow me away ! i am not much of a pre-war fan, but those cars are gorgeous.

21. Yaku

Yaku Rookie

Apr 20, 2010
    NL/BE
    My mistake! Thanks for the short but detailed recap on these Alfa's.
    Wasn't aware that your 6C was so rare.