Mind boggling... | FerrariChat

Mind boggling...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Over the years I've spent researching, studying and working on 365 GTB/4s, a.k.a. Daytonas, I've come across at least 4-5 slightly different (from each other) design/style OEM thumb nuts for securing the air cleaner lids and relay board covers.

Over the same period, I've bought 4-5 different (from each other) reproduction sets from various suppliers/vendors, but not a single one of the reproduction designs/styles matches any of what I believe to be OEM supplied ones ???

Are "they" not even trying make them exact or are there possibly more OEM designs that I just haven't ran across yet ?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Interesting.

I'd guess that the factory used a variety of fasteners with the same pitch and diameter, but I'm just speculating.

I'll step aside and let those who know comment. But I'm watching with interest.

Matt

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, there’s couple of different points I’m attempting to make.

First, this (again) proves that no matter how specialized a car manufacturers products may seem or how large/small their production runs are, one shouldn’t make assumptions of each example of every model is/was identically built.

Secondly, just because someone (myself* included) reproduces and/or sells replacement items, even if intended for very limited specialty market like vintage Ferraris and alike, they’re not necessarily accurate/authentic/correct. Some not even by long shot.

* Having designed/fabricated/(reverse)engineered/recreated/reproduced (& still doing) numerous replacement items/parts for variety of vintage cars, incl. Ferraris, I’m more than familiar of limitations, including & especially cost-effectiveness involved producing anything, especially complex components for very limited market, but wouldn’t think reproducing correct (appearing) thumb nuts is that difficult.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back when I was young and stupid, I'm now old and stupid, I used to restore '60s Triumph motorcycles. To say there was a wide variance between bikes was an understatement. I finally figured out the problem was Timmy. He was a good lad, but sometimes he would have a pint too many and the Bobbies would have to, ah, help him get home. Unfortunately, his vision would be blurry the next day, and he would often mistake a green wire in the parts bin for a red wire.

And don't get me started on Nigel in purchasing.