430 - Mini Cats on F430 2008+ | FerrariChat

430 Mini Cats on F430 2008+

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Sep 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    OK, for the later model F430 can everyone share their Mini Cat experience (i.e. 90' vs 45' vs straight) to prevent CEL and which model/brand? I'm asking about the later F430 because the emissions are different than the earlier models. I'm also interested in options that don't require tuning the car.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Emissions standards are not only different by year model, but by region of the world as well. Capristo used to make an OBD II wizard specifically for this purpose. I don't know if they still sell them or not.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My Capristo runs fine without these extenders

4. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I bought 90d big daddies, but didn't install, if that's the way you end up going, have new in box, half price

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I actually already have a set of straight big daddies I bought a year ago and haven't used yet since I'm still on my OEM MKII manifolds.
    http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

I didn't know BigDaddy had 90 degree mini cats, I thought their 90 degree ones were just spacers.
    http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html

I hope the straight ones fit and work when I replace my manifolds this winter. I was actually curious if the o2 wires in the 08/09 are too short for the straight mini-cats. I also noticed Fabspeed no longer has their mini cats on their website.

7. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I have 2 45deg Fabspeed minicats that were on my 05 430 with Fabspeed headers and no cels I had an ECU tune done and removed them. If you want to try them I’ll send them out to you for the postage. The problem I had was that they always seemed to loosen up. PM me if interested.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i do have mini cats on my scud, not sure which ones Miller put on though

10. Spleen

Spleen Karting

Mar 2, 2021
    UK, West Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Spleen
    Fabspeed are utter garbage, always come loose, 90 or 45s and I’ve had both. Shortly having the ECU reprogrammed so I don’t have to put up with them.

11. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Do you want them because you are removing the cats or just putting on headers? If it is for removing the cats I don't think anything will work except turning the 02's off in a tune. If it's just for the headers putting on 45deg Big Daddys worked on my 08.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im being told ny scud has 45 degree ones

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont remember where i read it but aren’t the fabspeed one’s supposed to be much better than the big daddy?

14. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
  15. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Thanks. That’s what I needed to know. I just messaged them and asked if they are just the straight mini cats bundled with the 90 degree bends or are they a completely different mini cat built with the 90 degree bend.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

colorfull likes this.
  16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I think you would be best served with reprogramming the ECU.

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The only guaranteed way to do this properly is to reconfigure the software. Pm for more details

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its odd it does not effect the Capristo setup

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have cap headers and cap 200 cel cats on my 2006 and i get the cel

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have the cap manifolds and back box, oem cats. Only thing i do is start it up and let it tick over for a couple minutes. It lets the sensors get hot so no unburnt fuel lands on a cold sensor and set it off. If hot will just evaporate.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh its the 200 cel cats that bring on the cel

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #22 360trev, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    It's nothing to do with Capristo it's the different model years have different sensitivity and calibrations in the firmware.

Depending on how these are defined and how much the difference is between the primary o2 and secondary o2 thresholds will trigger the CELs. So obviously if you run cats which aren't as efficient (cheaper cores or ones that are designed to flow better at the expense of cleaning ) you'll potentially trip the diagnostic into thinking your Cats need replacing..

23. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    I have replaced the original exhaust manifolds on my 07 with headers. Original CATS and muffler. No check engine light until I would step on it a little hard and the baffles open. Then the light comes on. Fully warmed up etc.
    I put these on
    https://a.co/d/bubLiCu
    A
    nd now no check engine light. Drove 300 km today trying to trigger it but no luck
    They have a mini ceramic? core that gets hot and I guess deals with any raw fuel. They do project into the middle of the exhaust stream.
    The ends just screw on and would fall off unless you use a punch to deform the cap that holds the core in
    So far so good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Missed this point
    These were installed after the secondary CATS. Not in the headers

25. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    So I’ve put about 600 km on since I added the “mini cats”? No check engine light. Hot starts, cold, drive away before the check engine goes out . On off the gas. Spirited driving, cruising etc.No light.
    I believe these work
    Barry