Mini Cooper S reviews? + 3 car set up (just for fun) | FerrariChat

Mini Cooper S reviews? + 3 car set up (just for fun)

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Linus77, Dec 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Linus77

Linus77 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    IJ
    Just curious if anyone here has driven a MINI Cooper S and if so, your thoughts of the experience. I'm watching the movie The Italian Job as I write this - so that may have something to do with it.

I drove a Cooper S a few years ago and the transmission seemed sloppy...Any input from others on this subject is welcome.

I recently moved to Chicago and my M3 Cabrio SMG doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I can't justify the expense, I've only driven the M3 a couple of times in the past few months. I'd like to have a sporty car but one I'm not to concerned about getting scratched up in this weather.

On a similar note (and just for fun!) - If you could only have 3 cars - money no object, what would they be. Think about this for a second, you need something practical to live with in this area, so a Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 eGear along with a Veyron and an Enzo may not make the most sense.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have driven the Cooper S ( The New Mini ..not the new new Mini :D ) . And yes the gearbox was not good. Felt like an old Alfa on a cold morning ...Very disappointing . But i love the looks , love the handling and the power is enough to have fun .

As for the 3 car money no object :

Id get a 997 Turbo for the practical side , a 250 SWB Comp and an F50 .

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have worked at the MINI dealer since the verry opening and had recently left there about 4 months ago... but... if you are looking for a second hand get an 05 or an 06. They have a thermal coated supercharger PLUS a differnt 6 speed. The gears are much more suited to the MINIs powerband plus it has the availability of a LSD. The 07s are amazing. Much faster than the 05 and 06s. A much more pleasant car to drive around everyday. Lots of torque for a small hatch. BOth of these cars have a huge aftermarket. I have owned 4 amongst my maseratis vipers m3s etc... and i really enjoyed one mini in particular it was ann 05, i put 13lbs wheels on it, a 15% pulley, a cylinder head, header, exhaust, throttle boddy, ecu tune (8k rpm redline) and took out the back seats and ran 13.2s in the 1/4 mile on absolute street tires. It was quick enough to be claimed the worlds fastest and quickest MINI. I started my own performance manufacturing company and created the cylinder head, puleey etc... and I was really into the whole scene... but now... I am out of the scene and don't really care for it. There is alot of misinformation and most of the people get there knowledge from people who think they know things about cars but clearly don't. Mny of them read books and are now master experts on every situation, as opposed to actually having experiance doing things... okay... enough of my rant...

hope i helped... let me know if you have any questions...