MIR 2022 in Sweden, registration opens tomorrow | FerrariChat

MIR 2022 in Sweden, registration opens tomorrow

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by FastFreddie, Oct 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    For the third and last time we are opening the registration for the next international rally. It was first planned for June 2020, then June 2021. Finally we will be able to arrange the rally from June 30 — July 3, 2022.

Have a look at: mir2022.se for program, price and available rooms. I hope to see you there!

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hej Fredric:

I am sure i will be fantastic with 100 plus cars like the previous MIR in Sweden, also in Baastad: 2010, one of my best memories with perfect Swedish organisation, a great program and participants from throughout Europe:) I will do all I can to attend!

MK1044 likes this.
  3. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for the thorough program and website..
    Hm.. this could be one hell of a roadtrip.! We will be in Norway at that time and will look to attend, maybe with one of my sons..
    - Art

F456M likes this.
  4. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Of course you should come! At the moment we have appx 90 cars registered. We have room for another 10-15 cars. Why not celebrate midsummer with us?

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Takk Frederic,
    I'll look at shipping Newark-Drammen and will share anything useful here in case anyone else wants to join the fun. The all-inclusive pricing is attractive.. and drive is just a little over 4 hours from our house.
    Mvh,
    - Art

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Just received your registration, great! You are the first from the US. Maybe you can share the cost of shipping and how you went about it? it would be really fun if we could get a few more participants from the US.
    Have a look at mir2022.se

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7 Nembo1777, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Excellent in every way helps for my KHAMSIN CINQUANTA event in 2023 and any other events in Europe to demonstrate it is in actual fact not that costly or complicated and thus to convince more American drivers to bring their cars. There is nothing better than to experience them in the old world in which and for which they were built, fabulous roads and a driving trip sized continent where in just a short drive you are in another country and in a completely different type of region, one more picturesque than the other.

I shipped a small Porsche 924 Turbo roll on roll off from Jacksonville Florida to Antwerp in 1992 and enjoyed my trip through Europe with it immensely, including Spa the Nurburgring, the Porsche factory -where, the Florida plates got a lot of attention and they let me enter with it in a restricted area and park it next to the brand new cars-, Brussels, Le Mans.

Art you will need to make a front number plate, mandatory anywhere in Europe. This can't be cardboard (a chap I saw at Le Mans with a Jeep from California had done that for his front plate and told me he kept getting pulled over).
    What I did was I went to the Sawgrass mall in south Florida to a shop selling souvenir vanity number plates (they can be found in big malls or just Google or look on Ebay) I bought a blank plastic Florida number plate, found stick on letters of the right size and font, stuck them on then had it laminated, then I mounted it at the front of the car, voila. perfect replica of the actual plate.:)

F456M and MK1044 like this.
  8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #8 71Satisfaction, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Thanks guys, glad you are excited, I am looking forward to this!
    Yes - no worries - I'll share the information and experiences here.

- Ro-Ro quotes from Montreal and Newark to Drammen, Norway are on their way from www.motorships.no. They pick up at my house. The going rate is in the thousands, round trip, I'll budget $6,000.
    - Marc, I'll also contact the shipping source you recommended for comparison pricing.
    - Flight EWR-OSL via United or SAS will be two weeks ahead of MIR, somewhere June 13-18th, leaving me time to pick up the Bora and get it to my garage and check it over. About a $1,200 round trip.
    - NOTE: I offer free lodging at our house in Sarpsborg for all US participants!
    - I'll lobby my local Khamsin friend to join me, and prep him for Cinquanta 2023.
    - The cost of the MIR itself is about $3,700.

- Insurance has started to be worked out, a "tourist" rider is available. I'll figure $300.
    - I'll get a $150 membership with the Norwegian Auto Association (NAF) that includes roadside assistance.
    - NAF has reciprocity with Swedish, Danish and other European assistance services so I can spend a week with friends on Fanø, Denmark after the MIR.
    - I'll contact the Norsk Maserati Klubb and ask if any of them will spend some of their vast reserves of oil-money to come along. Unfortunately the only Norwegian member I currently know, Gabriel (aka FChat Merak1974), has a conflict and can't bring his gorgeous blue Merak to the MIR, I'll see if Marius (aka FChat gopp) can be prodded into going..

Number plate! "We don't need no stinkin' number plate!".. but thank you..
    - A front registration plate is also required by New York State and is already on the front of the Bora. Ready to go.

Rough estimate is $12,000, not including touristy spending money.

Hmm... maybe this a good time to ask my wife if she wants to come along....

Cheers,
    - Art

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Roll on-Roll Off for a Bora would really scare me. Do you really want port drivers loading/unloading your car onto a ship? All that is needed is for one of them to break the delicate Vitalloni switch to make sending the car in an enclosed container a better alternative. Will they understand that rolling the car down a ramp with the engine off is a really bad idea? (I've seen it happen more than once).
    In the past I've transported cars in a shared 40 ft container. Two cars get loaded onto the container and the costs are shared between the two cars. More expensive than Ro-Ro but less than a dedicated 20 ft container. Just something to think about ....
    Ivan

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Art I definitely would not Ro-ro a Bora for the reasons Ivan explained plus ro-ro cars sit exposed in the ship and deckhands, some of whom are real animals, are bored to death with nothing to do so they sit in the cars, maybe even start them, briefly running cold engines on high revs, damage and pilfer things, they stole the radio in my 924 Turbo back during the sea voyage.

thecarnut and boralogist like this.
  11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

This scenario is what happened to Khamsin #1226 when it arrived new to the port of Baltimore. A sign was placed on the dashboard warning not to move car unless engine is running. Unfortunately the sign was in Italian and the dockworkers couldn’t read Italian. As we all know a Khamsin or Bora with out the engine running equals No Brakes (and very heavy steering on Khamsin) Khamsin #1226 rolled down the ramp, side swiping a concrete barrier. The dockworker bent the brake pedal pushing on the brakes.

I have all copies of all the correspondence between George Garbutt, transport company and insurance company. When we stripped down #1226 the damaged areas were pretty apparent.

thecarnut, Nembo1777 and boralogist like this.
  12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  13. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Now Ivan the Carnut has registered for MIR 2022. Who else wants to join? Now less than 10 spots left.

MK1044, 71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks all,

Shipping -
    Even though the shipper has an excellent reputation, they don't control the longshoremen doing the on- and off-loading, and this will be necessary twice - once in Bremerhaven, and next in Drammen - so twice the chance something will go wrong. The container option offers peace of mind, plus I can then include the spare tire, jack, tool kit, fluids, car cover, spare parts, etc.. That's a win win win.

Anyone interested in shipping a car over to Norway or Gøteborg, or Bremerhaven and back?

Cost -
    The +/- $3,700cost I listed for the MIR is for two people, not one.

Cheers,
    - Art

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I suggest you ask questions about this on here in a much more generic part of the forum. I haven't ever looked but I would think there's bound to be owners who have sent their cars back and forth for events like Goodwood, Mille Miglia and others who might be able to provide some insight and point you in the right direction. From what I've heard I think you may be grossly low balling the cost when everything such as insurance is taken into account.

MK1044 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    By the time you’re done the trip for 2 with car for 2 weeks will cost a minimum of 20 to 25k.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Art don't pay attention to the pessimistic comments, when I did this in 1993 with my 924 Turbo (yes roll on roll off) the insurance cost was minimal. I did not register to take part in events but attended the Le Mans 24 hours with a media pass for Cavallino magazine and drove all over Belgium (Antwerp Brussels Spa), Germany (the Nurburgring, Stuttgart, Singen), France (Burgundy, the center Loire valley, Le Mans) and had a great time. Apart of the shipping and insurance to drive the car the costs are just general tourism costs and you are not paying for a rental car which you otherwise would have been paying for and THAT is far more costly in Europe than in the US so in actual fact you can DEDUCT that cost.

Driving these cars in Europe is incomparably more enjoyable than in the USA as the roads are far more enjoyable, there is ten times less police and these are the roads these cars were conceived for.

Go for it, it will be an experience you never forget:)!

F456M and 71Satisfaction like this.
  18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ..which is the same as any other vacation.

No worries. Everything about the trip is familiar (and familial) territory. Shipping a car to Europe and back is the only thing I haven't done before.

Cheers,
    - Art

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  19. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks Bob, that's a good suggestion, I posted in the Travel forum - see what comes up for experiences and advice. I'm also surfing online and I've had friends ship car purchases over, one-way, so there is a "well" of information, I'm just super busy this month.. one step at a time.

My goal isn't to budget my trip, but to share actual quotes and costs. I'll share what my cost quotes are, as they develop, solidify and accrue.. And at the end of the summer, we'll all know.

Cheers,
    - Art

staatsof likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Many thanks Art, most useful for KHAMSIN CINQUANTA participants and those considering bringing their K's from the US:) The record distance though will most likely belong to a K coming to Europe from...New Zealand!:)

F456M, 71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    By then there may not be any left here! LOL. If he's still alive by then, George Andreini most likely will never part with his beautiful blue example.
    I remember well seeing that car, was the first Khamsin for me in 1986 on highway 80 as we were going through the pass on our way to the MIE club event in north lake Tahoe.

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    hopefully #1226 will be out of restoration for sesquanta!

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bob I meant Americans bringing their classic Maserati to Europe temporarily for a grand tour of driving on the roads they were built for, visiting beautiful regions and maybe being received at the factory if they tour Italy.
    I was NOT referring to classic Masers in the US being bought by Europeans.

Andreini has the silver Khamsin, wire wheels (!) You are confusing his car with a light blue one in that region they are 1170 and 1172, can't recall which is which not at my computer.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not sure I will feel energised enough to organise a -hypothetical- K60 event in 2032 at the age of 68!;-) Let's see how K50 goes.

71Satisfaction, MK1044 and boralogist like this.
  25. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    I will be there!

71Satisfaction likes this.