Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2fastforu, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    #1 2fastforu, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Hello fellow owners,
    I want to get your thoughts on something that has just come up at work. Quick background, I bought 13 Red Spider last summer and have put in 3K miles since. Absolutely love driving the car top down. Now here is the interesting part. I'm a IT consultant and have worked extremely hard all my life to achieve my dream car. I've recently been at a new client representing my consulting firm to garner more business for my company. One day I drove my Ferrari on a nice sunny Friday to the client site. Since then I've been identified as the "Ferrari guy". The people at my client company are really down to earth and really appreciate the car. Even the CIO states if he could drive "donuts" around the parking lot with the car. Recently it has been brought to my attention by my manager that there has been word going around that "this leaves a bad impression that I'm driving a Ferrari to the client". I'm not sure if it's coming from my consulting company or the client company. My guess is that it's my consulting company that they're feeling uneasy about this negative perception since we're trying to win more business from the client. My partner and I are the only 2 consultants trying to win more business and we're at the cusp of sealing the deal. They don't want to let the client feel like they're paying too much for these "consultants".

If it turns out this noise is coming from my own consulting company, I will be truly disappointed. They're basically telling me not to drive my car to any client site. I'm not sure how I feel if it's coming from client itself. Worse case, I won't drive my Ferrari to any client site. But that would suck if I just want to enjoy driving my car to work for a day.

My manager is totally on my side and thinks this is totally BS issue. He's trying to figure out where this noise is coming.

Thoughts?

2. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Jealously !

3. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I believe there are a lot of haters and can give people the wrong impression and do treat you differently. I like to enjoy my cars outside of the work environment...better for everyone.

4. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's called life. I have a warehouse of Ferraris and exotic cars that I only drive to select places, and work has never been one of them. A Ferrari stirs up a lot of emotion in people, and unfortunately it's not always positive. I think it's great when people give me the thumbs up or wave, and I'll always wave back and smile. I wish this was always the case but it just isn't. Some might suggest to drive it everywhere and not worry but only a fool or someone that hasn't experienced ownership would say this. Owning a Ferrari is a privilege that not everyone respects or admires. Maybe if I lived in Beverly Hills or Monte Carlo my experience would be different..

5. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I used to own/administer narcotic treatment programs and always drove an "old" car to clinics. Not only to avoid irate patients damaging a nice car but to avoid being seen as "better" or different.

I don't know a thing about your business, but allot about human nature. You driving a Ferrari on a work assignment will immediately alienate you and make establishing rapport and trust that much more difficult. Many will see the car and immediately think all kinds of things that take away from whatever qualities you have personally and intellectually, i.e. show off, makes too much money, must be charging too much, etc. Think about why you need to drive the car when on the job. Bestt

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I never drove my Fcar to work...or church for that matter. People assume you are showing off...because that's what they'd do if they had one. There is a price to pay for everything. We just have to decide if it's really worth it. ;)

7. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Interesting you said to church. It's a real testament to the spiritual character of a mature Christian whether they can actually handle other person's success void of jealousy or envy.

I've seen it both ways. You know it when they're truly just happy for you, just as you know it when they aren't.

Most people know I'm a car nut, and I just plain don't have a low key car to take anywhere, so they need to get over themselves and their issues, lol.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well, l agree. Alot people think they are Christians...but aren't. ;)

9. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I feel for you but I'm with Phil. I bought my first Ferrari in 1999. I've never driven a Ferrari to a client meeting, or anywhere that doesn't feel right (like church, a funeral etc). My daily driver is a diesel BMW (and excellent it is too), it does the heavy lifting perfectly.

Ferrari is a complex brand. I would think 99% of people on this site respect, admire even love the history, the racing, the design, the heritage, the entire Ferrari experience. Others buy a Ferrari for one thing - an expression of money and dominance. It is what it is. A red spider probably doesn't help.

I've found from experience the model and colour does have an effect. The only time I've ever had a problem is when driving a spider, I've had gum thrown in my car, I've had abusive language thrown at me. Not once in other Ferrari models.

Enjoy your wonderful car, you worked hard for it and from your post, and your disappointment, you are clearly a good guy. Buy a nice little car for clients and/or moments when a red Ferrari is too much.

One funny little moment. I was at traffic lights in my BMW, I had been to my office for a meeting, and a guy in a red 430 spider top down pulled up next to me. He sat for several seconds blipping the throttle making as much noise as possible. My window was down, I looked across didn't say anything but I must have looked very unimpressed. He shouted at me that I was ******, I was just jealous and would never be able to afford to own Ferrari. I laughed, but it did make me cringe.

10. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    I have a red spider. I drive it everywhere. The end.

Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cab

11. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My gut feel is in life when dealing with others it's better to be humble. In this situation, if someone is jealous or otherwise, go with the flow and drive something different to work. There probably aren't many clients that want to look-up to people that work for them or they're thinking of using.

12. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    My dad was an optometrist - not an ophthalmologist - in a small NJ town just outside Manhattan. He loved cars. He always dreamed of owning a Cadillac which he eventually did. He always drove an Oldsmobile. Usually an 88 not the 98 series for those that old to know what I am talking about. He always said that his patients would have no problem knowing he was earning a living. But said if he was driving too nice car the feeling they might get is that he was getting "rich" off them. In fact, he eventually had a 1950s car as well that he would leave behind the office to take the dings and look better when driving around town on simple errands. Leaving his better car, the 98 or eventually a Cadillac at home. Eventually when my brother and I were out of college and he was nearing the end of his active career he got the aforementioned Cadillac. A few actually over the remaining years of his life.
    I am a physician (internal medicine) now as well. Most of the people at the hospital know me and fortunately really like me. Most of them also know I have a Ferrari. But, in my parking spot that has my name on it, it always has my current VW parked in it. Right now it is a Golf R. As I too am involved with people that have many personal hardships - lots of addiction patients/psychiatric issues- the last thing they need is to see their provider driving a Ferrari.
    Simply put, I think there is no need to bring your Ferrari to work. Even if you are the boss of your own firm. At some level, someone will be disappointed that they are not in the same position. That dynamic to me negates any pleasure I might have had driving my car that day.
    Best

13. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Have a 2015 TDF blue Speciale parked in the garage. She only comes out on early morning runs before the crowds and is tucked up by 9am clean again every third weekend or so. I kinda like departing for my job as a realtor in my 2005 Mazda 3 each morning and casting a quick glimpse to my garage to make sure it's all locked and charger on. I didn't even tell my girlfriend about 'the car' until I knew she was a keeper (girlfriend that is).

All in all, different strokes for different folks. I do think a red spider would turn many more heads than my car and I'm 100% ok with that 👍🏻

14. Wal

Wal Karting

May 24, 2010
    Airplanes
    I keep my ownership of a Ferrari a secret from everyone I work with. It may be unfair, but to a lot of people a Ferrari gives the impression that you earn too much.

15. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Remember there two types of people.
    1.people that look at you say look at that ********* he has a bunch of money.
    2. People that look at you say how can I achieve this item or respect.
    The world sometimes gentlemen is a bad place.
    And to be honest when I had a company with 30 employees I would not take my toys
    To work.
    Even though I wanted to but I didn't.

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I own my own business and would never consider driving mine to work. I have many longtime employees and I know them to well. Nothing good would come out of it.

17. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I NEVER dive my F car to work. I'm fairly certain some or most of my employees know I have it, but I never mention it, don't wear Ferrari clothing to work and don't really think much about the car during the day.

I've got some very highly compensated employees, and some hourly wage workers as well. There is no upside to bringing the car to work.

18. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    #18 saraojo, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    I drive my Ferrari occasionally to work like I did today. I am also in the field of medicine like some people above. I agree that it might stir some animosity from other people around me since I am fairly younger but I bought it for myself to enjoy. Unfortunately some people might think i purchased it as a status symbol. But I appreciate all cars for their experience and admire its design. It feels great to walk up to the car, start the engine and have a nice spirited drive home (when not in traffic) enjoying it's music after one of those challenging days at work. It's difficult to please everyone and I personally do not believe or agree with the notion that some people may think Ferrari equals making too much money. Does that mean one shouldnt build a home much nicer than their neighbors? Does that mean I shouldnt buy a nice watch? Money is all relative, I have relatives making as much I make in a year in just two weeks time.

19. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Throughout my 20's and 30's I spent more on my cars than on my apartment or house. So I remember in an elevator with a colleague around 1989, he says to me, "we are all wondering how the hell you afford to drive a Porsche? We know what you make working here and it is not enough for a 911, so what do you have going on the side???" I lived in a one room efficiency apartment in order to afford the car. It bothered me then that many would have the wrong perception of me. Today nobody at works knows I have a 458. If they see me somewhere then they do, but it is not something I discuss and not really their business. I don't worry about perception anymore but everybody reports up to me in some way or another and I believe in a professional separation. I drive my MB S550 to work, it is good for clients and is more of an expected ride for my position.

20. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    It's sad, but this is life. I have two Ferrari's and a Lamborghini. But any work related business I do and even when I'm out in one of these cars, I go home and grab my Skoda Yeti.

Only because it does upset 1 from 100 people and just to never to have that one off person, I play it safe. Haters will hate and while that should not reflect a business deal, sad but true, it does sometimes.

21. clar

clar Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2013
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clarence
    If u can afford not to care what others think of it, by all means. Unfortunately, it usually require u to be a business owner or some fancy banker. Even for the former, it also depends on your target profile of customers. Know your situation first b4 announcing your ownership to the world.

22. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    I prefer to use modest transportation for business purposes for all the same reasons mentioned above.

Outside of the business theatre is a better opportunity for me to enjoy my cars.

23. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I own my own company Buisness. I usually drive my Range Rover. Never, will take my Lambo, Ferrari or McLaren to work. I have taken my 911s GT3 and turbo, not as on your face as the other exotics. But, anywhere but, work I drive the exotics. To OP, if you are trying to get hired for new deals, don't drive the Ferrari. Get a normal nice car, and drive that to work. Especially if you want new Buisness. Save, the Ferrari for other days, or after work dinner ect. Then, keep getting new jobs and buy another Ferrari;)

24. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    I also work in consulting and I drive my Ferrari to my own office. But the only people who can park in that garage are my other partners and a set of investment bankers we share the garage with.

I would not ever drive my Ferrari to a client site or even a client dinner. I definitely don't want any of my clients to know I have it. No reason for them to worry about my bill rates or me making too much money.

In general the fewer people who know about it the better. The one exception is my country club. The valet lot there is full of masseratis a couple of ferraris and more Porsches than I care to count. That is probably the most normal place I drive it to very few even notice it's there.

25. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Driving a Ferrari to a sales meeting is just bad taste unless you are selling yachts or airplanes.