Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2fastforu, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Most people wouldn't know a new Ferrari from an old one, and probably think they all cost a fortune. So getting a 355 vs a 458 won't really help you.

Most of the time I don't tell people about my Ferrari unless I know them or have a sense they are car people. And that includes clients. That said, as the Mayor commented, clients do their homework and know what I charge vs competitors, and what kind of results I get. They are not paying any "more" just because I have a Ferrari. And if they didn't think they were getting their money's worth, they would soon be ex-clients! But I am still relatively guarded who I tell. A few found out and reacted very positively, as if my having such a car was validation of their decision to choose me, but they just as easily could have had a negative reaction.

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

To much time spent worrying about what others think , I'm going for a pizza in my Ferrari . Geez I hope no one sees me. :)

3. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013
    very well said

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Sad, sad thread. This HAS to be the generation of sub-40 year olds who react this way, because I don't remember any of this class jealousy when I was growing up. When the HS QB's father bought his son a new Trans Am (Smokey & Bandit era) and Corvette in consecutive years, we were happy for the guy, and still satisfied with the decade old Barracudas and Mustangs we were driving.

We all know Doctors are wealthy, despite what they drive. I respect those who have accomplished more than I in life (unless they have given me a real reason not to).

5. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Being able to own a Ferrari should mean NOT giving a care about what other people think. When I was thirty, living in a warehouse and happily driving my 308GTS anywhere and everywhere, I didn't care what people thought. NOT a wealthy guy, I put 25,000 miles on the car and drove it like it was a Honda. Jump ahead 30 years I absolutely don't give a ---- whether people think I'm rich or poor, I didn't buy the cars to NOT drive them. If people are jealous or think I'm a pretentious old guy driving a Ferrari, that's THEIR problem. To think that I should even consider what other people think if I happen to love Ferraris is ludicrous. I didn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to closet my cars away. If people don't think it's fair, then they have a problem, not me. Get a higher paying job by acquiring a skill- don't knock Ferrari owners because they're passionate.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive my Ferraris to ANY event, job related or not. The people driving these little electric cars think they're so green and they're all making a statement.
    The statement they make to me is they're snivelers driving little crap box cars. I'll let the Tesla owners have a pass, since those cars can really throw you back in your seat. I DON'T drive cars to be bored.

6. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Which is exactly the point. If you own a business you do care what people think which is why you shouldn't drive one to work.

OTOH if you own a business and don't care what ppl think, then you shouldn't own a business.

The 2 don't go hand in hand together.

7. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    There once was a time in America (and Europe for that matter) when if on saw a Ferrari or Rolls or any other high end car, one would say "one day if I am smart enough and work hard enough, I'll be driving one of those." It is called aspiration and drive. And those are the people I'd like to hire or do business with or have as clients.
    Today in Europe and to a large extent here in the USA, many say "why am I driving this piece of crap (name the car) and that person is driving a Ferrari he doesn't deserve (unless maybe he is sports or movie star that entertains me). We got to do something to get him outta that car. I deserve better."
    It is called envy. I pity these people but unfortunately they are now the majority.
    In business one must take every advantage possible (within the confines of the law and ethics). So if you have to use a Prius or Volvo or SUV to help your business then do it with a smile and then laugh it off when you are driving for pleasure and downshifting and your Ferrari is singing as you hit the apex of the next curve just so.

8. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim

9. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I've owned a business for 35 years and still do. I could care less what people think. I'm as busy as I want to be and if people judge my skills by what kind of car I drive and they think negatively towards it, it's their loss. Why should I live my life to not upset shallow people. In the businesses I've owned if I didn't like the customer, I didn't work for them, NOT the other way around. Life's too short to work for people that are dweebs. I don't need their money enough to lower MY standards.

I think people with MILLIONS of dollars of cars are successful, and I aspire to reach their success level. What a bunch of wimps worrying about people think of having at least an outward sign of success. I walk around with clothes everywhere that cost a sum total of less than a hundred bucks including shoes. Carhardt shirts, maybe a sweatshirt and Costco jeans. I don't OWN a tie or a suit. So let people think I'm one step out of the poor house by the clothes I wear. I not only don't own a Rolex watch, I don't own a watch at all. So at what point does having outward signs of success bother the little pin heads out there? If you wear a custom suit, a Rolex watch, or drive what- a car that costs more than 50K? So do we all fret over what some insecure NOTHING of a person thinks, or do we live our lives on our terms? If we all start leaving our Ferraris in the garage in fear of upsetting someone, THEY won and we've lost. If a customer of mine gave me any lip about owning Ferraris, they would NOT be my customer any more- good riddance. Being secure is dictating the terms of your business relationship, not the other way around. Fortunately for me, I almost NEVER see a customer and I have 100's of them. The ones I have seen, fly in in their own planes or helicopters, and are more successful than I am. And I'm HAPPY for their success, cuz they're using my products.
    I'm GLAD I'm helping them be successful, not jealous that they are.

10. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    stray data point.

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here's a question: Would you drive an LF or 599 GTO to a funeral?

12. TxBread

TxBread Rookie

Jan 9, 2016
    My life became a lot easier when I stopped worrying about how people "should" behave/think, and instead paid attention to how they "will" behave/think

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#113 Cigarzman, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    If it was my funeral I sure hope someone does. I'll rest easier if someone brings a 250 GTO. :eek: I just checked my Emily Post hand book it says any type of Ferrari is permitted .

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Probably similar reaction from many. Had a group of people standing around my F355 one day and overheard them talking about how it was a 300k car and new. They asked about it as I walked up and I told them no, it was over 20 years old.

I have a few cars, nothing nearly as extravagant as many here but I drive them wherever, whenever I want.

If someone forms a poor opinion of me because of my choice of cars I do not care in the least.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sure, if I had one. Sandra West would approve.

16. TxBread

TxBread Rookie

Jan 9, 2016
    Some people feel very empowered having not to "care what others think". To be sure, that is a better position than being required to care what others think. But is it not the best position to both not have to care what others think, and also be powerful enough that you can do what makes them happy anyway? To be so happy and content in life, that occasionally missing out on a short drive could not possibly make you any less happy?

I am not saying that this is definitely the right answer, but it is food for thought.

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Spoken like a true Millenial. You obviously feel the Bern.

18. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

This thread started bad but has gotten worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where is Treynor when you need him. If you're out there Treynor, do you drive your crazy awesome cars to work? Also, do many employees drive Ferraris/McLarens/Lamborghinis to work? Surely a lot have them...

Is it a good idea? Frowned upon? Doesn't matter?

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    In all my years in business... the only thing that really matters to a good business person is BUSINESS.

If someone is paying attention to what kind of car they drive, what size of office they have, what kind of home or neighborhood they live in, how many kids they have in college, how nice that custom Italian suit looks and what a great watch they have instead of--

"What is he going to do for my business and how much is it going to cost?"

Then they aren't much of a businessman.

It's like you go to a legal firm and see a top 100 Forbes company on their list of clients. Do you say "OMG -- these guys must charge a lot!" or "Geez they must be good!"

I hate to tell you this but people LIKE successful people and successful businesses. They like to be associated with successful people, they like to work with successful people, and they like to be around people who are wealthy because they were successful.

America needs an enema. This "I better not show I'm successful or people won't like me or want to do business with me" stuff has to end.

Would you be better off with the opposite and show up in a 73 Pinto?

21. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    You obviously have no employees. That like you. What goes around, comes around...

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I managed a group of 60 in a large firm when my company car was a Ferrari 308 (in the 80's).

Close enough IMO. And they all liked the car. They also liked working in a group that was successful and that they got better pay and bonuses because of it.

Anyone here who is afraid to show they own a Ferrari, please join Priuschat.

23. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Better pay and bonuses have nothing to do with what you drive to work.

If you're paying them above average wages and bonuses that's because you're business is doing well and/or you're a great employer.

If you pay just fair wages and bonuses (arguably the proper way to run an average business), then you'll be considered a douchbag without even knowing it, and ultimately hurting yourself.

I drove my fcar to work (occasionally), paid well above prevailing wage, and it was still considered inconsiderate. I can't think of a single situation where it was helpful.

24. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Interesting to see people bashing folks based on age here. I'm 43 and bought my first Ferrari 10 years ago. For some reason I feel it's important in life and work to consider others with your choices. Driving to work is a poor choice IMO. I don't think that makes me a wimp and in fact I think many who know me would consider me pretty tough personally and in business? Regardless, it does make me wonder if there is a generational gap between those that care and those that don't give a crap? It would make for an interesting sociological study?!? And no, I'm not voting for Bernie and yes I'm picking up my 488 in a couple days.....cheers

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    At a former employer, I drove the 328 daily and nobody cared. I did have to handle some "how much does that cost" questions early on, but at the time it was a 40K car and not really a big deal.

At another employer, I drove it exactly once. My boss let me know that upper upper management did not want customers seeing any Ferrari in the employee parking. Point taken, and it did not go back.