458 - Missing title history | FerrariChat

458 Missing title history

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F458Fanatic, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F458Fanatic

F458Fanatic Rookie

Apr 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    While searching for a 458 to purchase, I have found a few that have title histories which appear to be missing the first owners information. As an example, Ferrari of Atlanta has a 2013 Italia on which the title history starts at least a year and 6k miles after manufacture date. They claim they bought it from FNA that way. Is this a possible lemon buy-back being resold? What are other possible reasons that initial car histories could be missing? Finally, has anyone seen this car in person and could provide critical feedback? Thanks in advance.

2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Might be a Chinese copy......

Seriously, they "bought it from FNA that way" isn't a good answer, someone must know why the info is missing. I would not even consider a car with missing historical info, just too many negative possibilities IMO, and a lemon buy-back is certainly one of those possibilities. I'd pass if you cannot somehow get the "why" question answered, there are many other options available in the marketplace.

Jim

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Possibly a travelling demo car for shows/test drives, etc.? Not titled to first owner until 6,000 miles?

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Demo car definite possibility. Pass as there's plenty of no stories low mileage examples available.

5. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    if they arent going to be upfront with you, RUN... plenyt of other ferrari owners that have every single receipt or piece of paper on their cars...

Roland1688 likes this.
  6. AZDiverDLR

AZDiverDLR Karting

Sep 7, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dave Rowley
    I have seen actual invoice from FNA to an authorized dealer for a car described as an FNA Demonstrator. Car had around 4,500 miles but had never been registered. Per Carfax, was subsequently sold as “new” to first owner. There was nothing underhanded - very clear that warranty started when FNA put into service as demonstrator and that considerable mileage accumulated before first registration.

Easy to recognize on Carfax. Just like OP notes, there will be a time and mileage gap until first owner registered. Any Ferrari dealer will also be able to confirm start date of warranty which is based on when car is put into service, not when it is first “sold.”

What’s happens to a car used as a demonstrator and how you feel about that is for you to decide!!!

Hope this helps!

Ciao

AClark and docf like this.
  7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'd walk. I can only imagine the thought process of someone driving a Demo. "Ok, let's see what this thing will do!" and then: "who's next"

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Demo miles driven hard aren’t nearly as stressful as track driving, although that can’t be ruled out as part of the demo miles. Maybe the car was used at COTA for Ferrari schools? What would worry me more is the abuse likely visited upon the car when driven cold. It’s the rare dealer that actually warms the car to operating temperature before revving it or stressing it. As others said, many other examples available.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat