Miura, the original supercar | Page 412 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well, the Bradley's famed jellied eels business has been good to Lamborghini!

That's 4892.

2. spadge1976

spadge1976 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
  3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

It only serves the purpose of identifying which cars the Carabinieri should pull over! :)

4. SAB

SAB Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    South Wales, UK
    Just found a nice Miura video, don't know if it has been posted before as it's some months old.

http://vimeo.com/31873678

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  6. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

This is the famous Miura which was apparently found buried under a green house. I talked to the guy who claimed to have discovered it as he was later employed by the local museum, and only retired a couple of years ago.

The owner was apparently trying to hide the car to avoid confiscation. I can't say if this is 100% correct, I am just repeating what I was told. Perhaps that explains the damage to the underside of the car.

The wheels on the car belong to a late 60's 365 GT. Based on the license plate of the 365, it was registered in 1969. It was damaged at some point in time and is sitting in a warehouse behind the museum. As it is not displayable, the wheels of the 365 were used on the Miura as they were closest in look and fit that the curators could find.

If I remember correctly, someone in the Miura thread (Joe Sackey ?) said something to the effect that the Miura was pictured in a 1976 (December ?) pictorical of Iran in National Geographic. Maybe I am wrong. If there is such an article, can anybody scan this article. I would love to see the car in its past life.

Regards,

Ramin

7. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi, I forgot to add that when the car was found buried, the wheels and tires were already removed. Perhaps as a further effort to avoid the car being taken ??

Regards,

Ramin

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Fascinating, Ramin. Thanks for posting.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ramin, sorry I cannot access my actual copy to scan, but there are several on EBay right now in case anyone wishes a copy.

* January 1975 National Geographic, "Iran - Desert Miracle" by William Graves, see page 14, there you will see an image of UCLA-educated Dr Kaivan Saleh & his wife showing off Princess Ashraf's white Miura P400S.

The caption incorrectly refers to the car as Saleh's, but when I tracked Kaivan down when doing research for the Shah's Miura SV 4870 during my ownership, he cleared this up. FWIW Kaivan Saleh assisted the Royal family with their car collection etc.

The car looked pretty nice in late 1974 :)

Hope this helps.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10285 joe sackey, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Thats a very nice shot!!!

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10287 joe sackey, Jun 14, 2012
    Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-GEOGRAPHIC-January-1975-IRAN-Martinique-ICE-AGE-MAN-Monitor-/130579844402

By the way this issue is very evocative of life in Iran in that era and I daresay it will be a sentimental read for those that remember how the country was at that time.

Finding Kaivan was an interesting experience to say the least. Its good to have friends in the intelligence business! He was very nice & helpful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Dear Joe,

Many, many thanks as always. I was wondering if Dr. Saleh has any insights on the "greenhouse" story ? As the other Iranian Miura's have been well documented, it would be great to see if there are any other interesting points about this car, especially given the most interesting life that it has led.

Regards,

Ramin

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Assuming my contact info for him is still current, I'd be happy to ask. He had some great stories about the cars!

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10290 joe sackey, Jun 15, 2012
    I am thinking that perhaps one of the reasons the wheels may have been changed on Princess Ashraf's Miura might have been that the original sand-cast mag factory items had become porous and no longer held air very well. Just a thought...

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10291 joe sackey, Jun 15, 2012
    I did not know she was a twin sister of the Shah, os it makes sense that if her twin was such a car nut...

FWIW she was painted by Andy Warhol as this portrait depicts.

17. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    ^Joe, you probably know more about the ex-royal family than most Iranians from the post-revolution era. We should go to Iran, you'd love the food. LOL

18. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Dear Joe,

I seriously doubt that would be the case. The museum is using tubes in some of the tires of the cars which are facing similar issues. The car went on display with this wheel and tire combo in 2001 when the museum was opened. I will try to check when exactly these wheels and tires were added to the car. When I talked to the gentleman who "discovered" the car in "buried" condition, he was adamant that the wheels and tires had already been removed, apparently to make it more difficult for the car to be removed. I will check again anyway, as anything is possible.

Warmest Wishes

Ramin

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Oh do not get me started on Persian food! :eek: LOVE IT!!! :)

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think you are right, then. So it stands to reason that those Miura rims are somewhere. If you see a taxi with Miura rims running around Teheran, you have the answer!

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10296 joe sackey, Jun 15, 2012
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #10297 joe sackey, Jun 15, 2012
  23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Fabulous picture. Note the Lamborghini Raging Bulls in the centre of the wheels. Probably the angle the pic is taken at or my eyes but the front grille opening/gape looks rounded on the edge like an SV and doesn't come to a sharp point as on the P400 and P400S production cars?

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's because its the first prototype.