Miura, the original supercar | Page 646 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I appreciate your sadness for me, but there is no need. No idea why you write in such a manner. I simply said it looked like it had been stripped down, and a lot of work put into it and asked you to explain what you are looking for in the car to suggest there are better restorations.

You have explained now about the chassis location for example. I have not suggested it is a great restoration so your quite provocative comment to ask me to demonstrate my ability to judge a car , that I have not judged or claim to have evaluated is completely out of context.

I would not possibly doubt your competence Oliver but you are clearly certainly not short of arrogance.

2. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier

don't misundertsand, there is no arrogance... English is not my mother language, in french it would have been more pleasant probably...

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #16128 joe sackey, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Good point about green being more unique than red, and again, you are right, the car exists in a color that was used on some Miuras so technically the car can be Classiched and there should not be a points deduction at a major Concours D'Elegance.

However, as regards colors, Olivier is right, this market really seeks out original colors, FWIW.

You are right, if the engine was swapped back in the 70s, this does not mean the car should not be rescued & restored, after all, I feel sure it was acquired for a price which reflects the non-matching engine, so again I agree with your thoughts, all things considered this car probably represents a nice buying opportunity. Note that my price comments were in no way aimed at suggesting the car is priced too high.

I have not recommended Bobileff for many years for reasons I will not post here, and these days I work with Dugan Specialties in California where I can personally oversee the work. That said, I like the looks of what Polo Storico is doing in Italy.

Happy to answer the questions, zero disdain on my part, I know it's not easy to figure these cars out, once-upon-a-time this same challenge inspired me to publish a book on the subject.

montpellier likes this.
  4. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

I have a P400 question that hopefully someone can answer (Joe?). I had originally thought that all P400’s came with wooden steering wheels and shift knobs. But, I came across this: http://www.lambomiura.com/info/info-index.htm which indicates late P400’s had leather wheels and shift knobs, and round side marker lights. It says the switch occurred when the gearshift lever was bent towards the driver. But there is no reference source provided for these claims.

My car (147/3378) has a leather wheel, shift knob, round side marker lights, and the shift lever is bent towards the driver. I have some period photos from the late 1970's-early 1980's that show it had a leather wheel and shift knob at least as of then. So, it seems that these may be the stock configuration. But, to date, I don't have any photos from the late 1960's that conclusively prove such by showing the steering wheel and knob.

Does anyone know if it’s true that these changes to leather steering wheel and shift knob were made to late P400’s, and if so, at which car number these changes were made? A reference source would be great.

Thanks!

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Vince, I cannot say at exactly which number these changes were made, and I doubt the factory can either!

vfinaldi likes this.
  6. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Vince,
    there are ascertainments leading to a "theory" that all early P400 were delivered with wooden steeringwheel & shift knob... at least for the 25 first Miura made.

After they are mixed untill the wooden steeringwheel disappear from the production at the end of 1st serie P400.

vfinaldi and joe sackey like this.
  7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Had this car a wing on its roof? If so, then I remember a fantastic feature in the German magazine RALLY RACING (long gone!) in the 1970s with this car and a white Countach.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo and NürScud like this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  11. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Thanks Joe and Olivier! This helps...

12. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Current and finally back to original livery!

joe sackey likes this.
  13. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Allow a follow up for this Miura #4680 :

As I mentionned, I had different persons presenting differently the car and providing different asking prices during Retromobile, where I spent 5 days...

After, it has been finally admitted that the car was not finished before its exhibition in Paris, but I have been guaranteed that all the details that I pointed were being corrected and that finally at the end the car will be very beautiful.

Frankly, I wish very much it happens, as all Miura deserve a very good job, as they are all "piece of Art"...

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  15. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    This early type steering wheel is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

joe sackey likes this.
  16. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    so nice to see this steering uncovered of leather...

joe sackey likes this.
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I can't remember if this has been posted here before but it's from 1971 and shows a
    new dark blue Miura S and a gold example, plus scenes inside the factory

Lemacc and bb4635 like this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Anyone know more about the RHD Miura used in Singapore at high speed to test the friction value of Paya Lebar airport runway?

Said to be 1 of 2 Miuras in Singapore in 1975

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Interesting to read: the Miura has a glass fiber body!

20. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier

may be they didn't know it was aluminium... and thought "lightness" = fiber glass... instead of heavy steel ?!?

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It is an interesting article, it also suggests that the car was being run up to an indicated 320 kph each time!

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I am pretty sure they did not really "test" the car in the real sense of the word. A little driving around for taking some "very fast lookin`" shots - that was it!

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #16150 miurasv, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018