Miura, the original supercar | Page 658 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perhaps someone can weigh in and help direct you to a local car, meanwhile shoot me an email and I'll link you up with a NJ owner with a spectacular car

2. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I think that's been up for sale since September last year. I can only guess the conversion doesn't actually add much, if not subtract, from its full potential as a S example.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It's been for sale for longer than that.

It is a P400S Jota replica, not a faithful tribute car as Piet's car is, as such, it's a Miura resto-mod as they say in America.

All Miuras deserve love and it is any owner's right to do whatever they want with their car, but with that proviso out of the way, I can tell you as someone who operates in a business that involves Lamborghini classics, the unfortunate proliferation of modifications amongst these cars does nothing for overall values, and this is a general rule for any make, model & variant.

wbaeumer likes this.
  4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    I think resto-mod is a good description. I tend to like resto-mods but can see why in valuable limited vintage cars it would be frowned on.

All that being said, it is pretty cool

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You often see modifications upon cars that were acquired inexpensively relative to current market

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    At current miura market prices, I can’t imagine the cost of a proper restoration would be a loss financially assuming the donor was priced right.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed, as values ascend the cars benefit in that way

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    I think one thing that always surprised me about the miura was that there really aren’t any companies mass producing kit car reproductions of it. Especially on the scale and quality of something like the superformance cobra and gt-40 which is good because now when you see a cobra you just assume it’s a kit car. A real one could drive by and you wouldn’t think twice about it.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank goodness!

I think it speaks to how revered the cars are perceived to be.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perish the thought!

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    haha. it would be horrible.

wbaeumer likes this.
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The fiber-glass coachwork and US-V8 makes the Cobra and GT-40 cheap to reproduce...

13. P5BNij

P5BNij Rookie

Apr 13, 2017
    Warwickshire England
    Something which has always amazed me about the Miura is that when the first chassis was shown at Turin in late '65, nobody ever seemed to mention what the bodywork could have or should have looked like, and yet Gandini was able to cloth it so beautifully within a few months without altering its dimensions, proportions, wheelbase or 'footprint', it seemed to fit perfectly right from the start, almost organically in fact. I've read every Lamborghini book and article I can lay my hands on but have yet to find any real reference to this element of the story. Its almost as if the bare chassis and dreamlike body met by chance and were meant for each other. Quite extraordinary when you think about it!

I'm probably the only person on here who doesn't yet own a copy of Joe's Miura bible, so perhaps he makes reference to it there...? With any available English language copy going for twice what I paid for my first car (a 1977 Mini 1000 in 'Miura' orange) it'll be a while before I get to read it for myself... ;)

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, the process of being assigned to Gandini and his recollections about how he came up with the shape are covered in my book.

P5BNij likes this.
  15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the iBook. I’m sure there is a kindle edition as well. It’s actuakky the only iBook I’ve ever purchased

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    how do non-original modifications affect the values on these cars. im always looking at pictures and videos available and see a lot that look like they have stainless fuel lines, battery disconnect switches, fire supression systems, seat belts or 4 point harnesses and many different types of air filters or no filters at all. to me, these seem like "smart" things to do but they definitely arent original. when these vehicles are restored are there any generally acceptable modifications or is the goal to be as close to 100% as it left to factory

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The ones you mentioned.

Meanwhile here is our former 5064 @ the New York Auto Show

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
  19. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

worst part about this car was where they put it. it was nice to get close, but with the railing right next to it, impossible to get any good pictures. obviosuly this guy got a great shot!

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perhaps they put it there intentionally.

21. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    I assume it was intentional. Maybe they felt better visibility of the other cars in that area was more important. Can’t fault me for wishing it had a little more breathing room though. Right?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #16448 joe sackey, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    I understand where you are coming from.

However.

The car's placement had nothing to do with the other cars and everything to do with protecting a $3 million car with thin aluminum body panels.

I think differently in these situations. The only thing that popped in my mind was "wow, I can't believe L. A. actually brought the car to the NYAS to share with hundreds of thousands of people!" I've had people say to me "hey Joe, I saw your old SV @ the NYAS!" and I thought it was super-cool that this busy collector made time to do this. It takes a lot of time, expense, effort, logistics and planning to safely share a car like this in a formal setting such as this, a lot has to go on behind-the-scenes to make it happen, and you can bet the location of the car was both intentional and aimed at protecting it. Consider the venue and the typical attendee.

That said I notice a lot of people were able to look at it closely enough, judging by all the images out there

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

montpellier likes this.
  23. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    Definitely understand. And I’m not complaining. I got to see a miura. That alone is super awesome. Highlight of the show for me.

24. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    Yep that’s close enough, for me atleast.
    I recently saw an Aventador SV with no barriers whatsoever at a car show here where a little girl was attempting to sit on the front of the car so her guardian could get a great happy snap - right next to a sign that said something like “please look but do not touch”!