Miura, the original supercar | Page 684 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    With pleasure.
    I've not that much of #3378, but I'll send you what I have on your car by PM.

2. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Thanks Vince for the clarification, I can't remember who gave me the info that OAJ252 shall be 3378, but most important - it's now corrected.

bb4635 and vfinaldi like this.
  3. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France

Olivier,
    Are you over-there ? As the Lamborghini Club President, I hope you will definitely clarify all this for us here.

So, what can you add today about this red Miura that spent some time at the Dieteren's Collection in Belgium ?

With its two bonnet mirrors + its black windscreen surround + a fire extinguisher betxween the two seat : it really looks like the red Miura OAJ252 spotted during the Lambo 40th Anniversary event in SantAgata / 2003.

You wrote in one of your previous posts some years ago : Red Miura #3378 = Dieteren Collection - do you confirm today that this car could still be #3378, once in its life ? perhaps before being registered in Italy AN270HD ? Or are they finally two different cars ?
    Do you confirm that both Miura respectively registered OAJ252 & AN270HD were simultaneously attending the Lambo 40th event ? I personally dont' have this info 100% sure.

On another hand, Vince, do you confirm that the original #1739 engine of your #3378 has been replaced by a complete new unit, circa 2013, as Olivier mentionned ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Bruno, as the owner, I can confirm that 3378 was never part of the Dieteren collection. That was a different vehicle.

I can also confirm that 3378's engine, 1739, is, in fact, original to the car and has never been replaced. Mr. Sackey and I triple confirmed this in 2016, when we had an intensive pre-purchase inspection performed with Valentino Balboni. We were able to verify that the engine was indeed original to the car, and stamped as such. We were also able to locate the source of the confusion-it was a language issue. A service bill, from when the car resided in South Africa, had a notation for labor, stating "remove and replace engine," including a cost therefor. One just glancing at this reference could easily believe the engine was replaced. However, this notation referenced the labor to remove the engine and then to re-place it back into the chassis after the repair was completed. It did not reference "replacement" of the entire engine, which would be an astronomical price even for the day, considering the car was in South Africa. The original repair bills from Lamborghini confirm that the engine was not replaced-just some internal parts-and the cost for that labor confirms it as well. Lastly, I located and spoke with the original owner, from South Africa, who confirmed it as well. That's one reason why it's important to review a vehicle's provenance carefully, verifying with detailed inspection and original sources.

joe sackey likes this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17080 miurasv, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    From what Olivier said above, will Lamborghini make and supply a brand new Miura engine today?

6. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    Vince,

Thank-You very much for your input.

All you wrote here is what I already had concerning your car history.

I'm just curious now to understand what was the original information / proofs that made Olivier confirming, not suggesting, that #3378 was the Miura belonging to the Belgian Dieteren Collection.
    I am sure that his information will be productive.

On another hand, I'd still be pleased to finally get one day some info on this "mystery" red Miura registered OAJ252 !

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Make a new from scratch that's not in the recorded numbered sequence, or re-commission an existing engine?

They'll do the latter, of course.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I mean brand new from scratch like Classiche do with 250 engines, not a rebuild.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I see, I'm not sure they have the tooling for that.

miurasv likes this.
  10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    a bit vulgar but sometimes it's fun...

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Id be happy with these 3.

13. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I saw #525 which matches 425 production number... typing error

14. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking forward to your findings about the history of Eddie Van Halen's Miura. Will you keep it in its current configuration or restore to original?

Best,

Andy

15. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #17091 SupercarGuru, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Thank you! It has been a very exciting journey thus far. We have confirmed the 1970 Miura S #4701 did leave the factory with a "larger body" and wide Campagnolo wheels. Documented as "LAZORAZIONI SPECIALI," in the factory production file. We would love to see the car restored to its original Verde color by Polo Storico.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It will be good to have the car's factory specification clarified.

Either way, a cool Miura on account of Rock legend and Lamborghini lover Van Halen's ownership.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson

When did EVH sell this Miura?

18. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #17094 mcg, Oct 30, 2018
    Sept.

miurasv likes this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17095 miurasv, Oct 30, 2018
    So is the rear clam as it currently is with the wide haunches/vertical vents an authentic Lamborghini feature? Do you mean SV size/style wheels also?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    We have not verified or found any documentation to show the vents are factory. The enlarged width of the bonnet, much like an SV and wide rear facia are in the production file as "LAZORAZIONI SPECIALI," along with the wider Campagnolo style wheels.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17097 miurasv, Oct 30, 2018
    Is it actually going back to Polo Storico to be restored to original speciali spec?

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17098 miurasv, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    I recently asked Marchesi if it was possible to convert a P400S chassis to P400SV specification. Patrizia Marchesi replied that this is not possible with there being too many differences and different parts between the two.

She also said that the P400, P400S and P400SV chassis were all made of the same grade material/steel as I'd asked if the P400SV chassis had thicker steel than a P400S. I then asked (twice) about the early 125 P400 cars' chassis being 0.9mm but she did not reply.

joe sackey likes this.
  23. Joe250

Joe250 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    California
    I think it is interesting that she mentions the parts differences. Setting aside the cosmetic differences and some interior pieces, what exactly are the differences between the S and SV in terms of parts?

Driveshaft - weren't SV driveshafts longer?
    Suspension - rear lower suspension arms were from the Espada
    Wheels - wider front (7.5" vs 7") and rear (9" vs 7")
    Differential - LSD on SV's equipped with a split sump
    Intake - the SV engine supposedly had slightly larger intake runners
    Carbs - were carbs actually different on SV's?

Anything else?

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    My questions to Marchesi were related to the chassis differences only, as was their reply, I believe.