Miura, the original supercar | Page 685 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe250

Joe250 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    California
    Of course. The chassis is obviously their area of expertise. And we know from what Joe S. has stated before about the SV chassis being quite a bit different in the footwell area and the rear suspension mounting points. And then there is the bodywork. So a true 100% P400 or P400S to SV conversion is quite extensive. I am just curious about why she commented on the parts as well. That prompted me to ask if there are more pieces than those I listed, as that doesn't seem like too big of a difference. Again, just curious.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, however the point is that it is not possible to fully convert a P400S to P400SV as the chassis, the skeleton of the car, can NOT be converted to P400SV specification due to the many differences.

3. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

That is technically not accurate Steven, regardless of what the nice lady at Marchesi had to say. Since it's a simple steel box frame chassis, anything on it can be cut, modified and welded. One could modify it into a toaster if they wished...a very expensive one.

joe sackey likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    ....so unless the earlier cars that are claimed to have been converted/upgraded to SV specification, even if done by the factory, they are not true SVs unless they have the chassis wholly replaced with an SV chassis.

5. Joe250

Joe250 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    California
    This turns into a philosophical debate really quickly - ship of Theseus and all that. Even if every single component as well as the chassis and bodywork are made identical to other SV's (which SV?! They aren't even all exactly the same!), they will never be SV's because they were P400's or S's originally.

But I didn't intend to open that can of worms. I was just wondering if there were any other parts differences between SV's and earlier cars. I am still hoping someone will comment.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I had asked the specific question. So that I am not misinterpreting Ms Marchesi's answers, and to that particular question, here are my questions and Ms Marchesi's answers:

"Dear Mr Marchesi,

Please can you tell me if the chassis on the Lamborghini Miura SV used thicker gauge steel than on the Miura S or does it have the same thickness or grade of steel? Are there other differences between the SV and S chsssis and is it possible to convert a Miura S chassis to be indistinguishable and identical to an SV chassis?

I thank you very much for your attention and look forward very much to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Steven Robertson."

Here is Patrizia Marchesi's reply:

"Good morning Mr. Steve Robertson,

with the present we are to inform you that the material used for the construction
    of the Miura Frames is the same for all frames, either S or SV or P400.
    There are various differences between a frame SV and a frame S.
    It is not possible to transform a Miura S chassis into a Miura SV chassis because
    there are many parts that do not match.
    Our company is able to carry out repairs and reconstructions of the frames
    bringing them back to their original state.
    We remain available and thank you for kindly contacting us.
    With best regards

Patrizia Marchesi
    Uff. Amministrativo
    Marchesi & C. Srl "

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Setting aside cosmetic differences, that's a pretty good list, I'm not in a place where I check to see if it's totally complete but you've certainly stated most of the differences.

Correct.

Correct.

They demonstrate this down the road @ Maranello on occasion ;) anything is possible if you want to spend enough.

It can be done, although it's fair to say it's wasn't economically viable during the production period.

To this latter point, during the production period, Lamborghini accepted certain supposedly damaged P400 back to the factory, simply took the ID plates off the P400, put them on a brand new SV and sent the latter back to the same client. This did happen as evidenced with a couple of SVs with P400 chassis numbers, and the reason it did was because it wasn't economically viable to convert the P400 onto the SV.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17108 miurasv, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    But today, Marchesi, the chassis maker say no, it can't be done.

Regarding the latter point, the scenario you describe is where a whole new Miura SV, including a new chassis, has replaced the damaged car including the chassis, so the chassis has NOT been converted and only the damaged car's chassis number has been used.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I didn't imply anywhere that the old P400 chassis was converted, in fact I voluntarily stated that the factory did not bother converting and simply exchanged the old car with a new one, a scenario I described to underscore that it wasn't economically viable @ the production era to convert from P400 to SV, so we are making the same point.

However, I interpret the current Marchesi statement as saying that they will not do a conversion, as in, they prefer not to do one as a matter of policy for various economic and perhaps legal reasons, this does not mean they are not capable of doing one - they certainly have the ability if they wanted to.

From my experience, the Italians use the word 'impossible' differently from the way we do, for example, when we first went to Pirelli a few years ago about new P7s, the word 'impossible' was used by them also! Many dollars and a few years later, I see brand new P7s on my Countach.

S_AGATA, 375+ and cnpapa24 like this.
  10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    On the 40th Event at the factory Marcel de Lange (RIP) noted
    Miura P400 red/ OAJ-252 B 3378
    he made a Picture of the VIN plate and the car which was that time red with two red mirrors on the Fenders.
    The Pictures we have already posted in this thread and the discussion came up about the belgian Registration.

11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  12. GTAV6

GTAV6 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jono
    Spectacular shot, Tu160bomber!

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. ppnlf

ppnlf Karting

Jan 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Piet Pulford
    I didn’t realise before that the wing on the SVR transferred any downforce load to one of the slats over the engine: aerodynamics 1.0?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe sackey likes this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good spot Piet, hopefully that top slat is substantially reinforced.

15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    thats because pirelli has been acquired by a chinese conglomerate now... thank god they pay more attention to the enthusiast wants. yes their new boss interpret "impossible" differently.

joe sackey likes this.
  16. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  18. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    No, thats not at Cairati.

375+ likes this.
  19. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Could poss be the most perfectly proportioned 60 s GT car, Stunning.

20. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    375+ likes this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A client was @ Cairati recently and sent an image which looked just like that hence my mistake.

Thank you Bruno for being helpful with your confirmation.

Meanwhile Cairati seems to have more Countachs than Miuras in progress, apologies for the off-topic in the Miura thread!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  23. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I have to say, when this whole Polo S resto thing started I thought it was a joke... so glad I was wrong. It has really gained traction and the work now, as opposed to their first projects, seems phenomenal. I hope we start to see some finished cars. My favorite type of pictures.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

Ciro Izzo and ken qv like this.