Model builders. | FerrariChat

Model builders.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by texasmr2, Jun 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can anyone recommend a local "professional" model builder they have used or would recommend without concern? I am tired of watching my 1/12 RE20, purchased new around '85 and still in its box, collect dust. This build will not be a rush so if it takes a year that is not an issue. Although I have had offers they are either "out of state" or "out of the US" and I would feel better with a local builder so I can occasionally stop by, shoot the shat, and view the progress.

Thanks in advance,
    Gregg

PS, This is the build quality I want...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing likes this.
  2. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nobody has any advice or leads yet? Like I said it is not a rush job by any means and my previous Google search was not helpful so if anyone can think of someone or recommend a builder I would be grateful.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I answered in your other thread you posted on the same subject..

There's a Hobby Shop in Bellaire on Chimney Rock, an R/C outdoor track is next door.
    A bunch of R/C modelers hang out there and will know someone I'd bet.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Are you sure it was MY thread or just a thread I posted in about this build?

I may give that a try if my current lead fails to produce any results. There is that new "Hobby Town" across the street and a few weeks back I spoke with a guy who is supposed to be their local guru when it comes to these type of projects. I never heard back from him so I called today but it was his day off so I'll stop by tomorrow.

If all else fails it will be going to Canada for the build.

Thanks.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Great place, I used to run my gas R/C road car there.

M&M Hobby Center
    6703 Chimney Rock Rd
    Bellaire, TX 77401

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Actually I am not unfamiliar with the place either I was just hoping to take another route.

7. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Why not do it yourself, Gregg?

I would say that most of the enjoyment of models is the building of them.

I used to build models (mostly warbirds) when I was younger, and came to produce increasingly high levels of accuracy/quality as I gained experience.

Just a thought, but why not buy a handful of "normal" kits and work on them until you are sufficiently satisfied with your experience/ability to tackle this important project?

No one will be able to satisfy the requirement/ideal you have in mind for your "baby" here, and it would be FAR more satisfying to do it yourself, IMHO.
    Not to mention the fact that in order to produce the quality/accuracy you have in mind, one would have to charge far more money than the finished product would ever be worth to me, at least.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Scotty,
    I built a few models in my day, decades ago, and I found it enjoyable but at this time in my life I do not have the urge nor the desire. I do not want to make the investment required in all the equipment and supplies needed for just one model.

This one is being farmed out.

9. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Good luck, and show us the result when you get her back.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is something you can count on sir ;). Actually I was just contacted by a builder, who I had spoken with over the phone about 1yr ago, who recently entered the "Heartland Nationals" and out of the 9 models he entered, he went home with 8 trophies. He is also US based (but out of state) so hopefully we can agree on the terms and set this build in motion.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I found the thread you were referring to Alan but I did not subscribe to my own thread so I forgot about it, my apologies.

12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login How did this work out? I was just given a rare plastic 1:8 kit only available in 1976 and I was building models then and none of them ever turned out any good. I’ve got time and room but I know how it will turn out.

13. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Check with the model train clubs in town. Some of those guys build really elaborate setups.

I've long forgotten the guy's name, but one of the company's I used to work for had these big ship models that we took to trade shows and got damaged in shipping. The original builder in Europe wanted thousands of dollars, but we found a local train modeller who did a great job for much less.

Manda racing likes this.