Modena for sale in VA | FerrariChat

Modena for sale in VA

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That car was enjoyed and makes me smile. It certainly presents well. Maybe the region section here could be used to find one of those owners? Looks like the carfax has a lot of clues to it's well cared for history. Could be a real gem!

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Very similar from the one from rob ferreti but im not sure its the one...
    Enjoyed for sure...i would want to get a lot of service records on this baby...lots of miles to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    With that many miles and this market, they should start at 45K and don't pay a penny over 50K. Looks like a nice car though with lots of life left in a great color.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I live near there, for sure "Mom & Pop" shop, sketchy at best. The have several of these fly by night dealerships in that area, most sell to people with no credit/bad credit if you get my meaning.

6. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    I would have a PPI performed on the car before considering it. Also have $5K to %10K in your back pocket if you buy it, for the surprises you may get when you own it. Also look at newer than 2001.

7. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    PPI for sure. I wouldn't worry about mileage on the car if it's been maintained properly. Check for regular service records at standard intervals. Also check for any accidents or a rebuilt title. If not then have fun and drive it as previous owners have done. Regular trips of 30-150 miles are so much fun.... enjoy it.

Some people just like to bash on higher mileage cars, claim they are worthless compared to their 12K miles car....lol.

I purposefully looked for a 50K+ mileage car and it took me 9 months to find the right one. Cost me over 2K for various inspections on 5 cars before I found my gem. Look carefully don't just jump.

I agree to have 5-8K extra ready to make the car perfect. Do minor preventative maintenance and change all fluids and hoses. Check the fuel pumps and any open service bullitens. Good service records are a must. Most recent is most important.

Good luck. Enjoy.

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    These cars are not that fragile...I've seen beat up jalopies at Ferrari dealers and gems at small town shops....just get the PPI and as many service records as you can.

9. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    just a word of warning! I once looked at a Cayenne in VA and they used something similar to what you see on the steering wheel. It must have been heavily laced with silicones. NOTHING could keep me from sliding around in the seat. And then I slid around in my own car seat. It was so bad that it took months of wear and washing before I could get it out of my pants.

10. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Looks to be one of the earliest 360s imported into the US. The advantage of that is no pre-cats and no secondary air pump. Less complexity and a bit more power.

PPI is obviously critical, as is checking with any Ferrari dealer for a record of campaign completions. Especially the variators, which can get very expensive. I recently ran across a 2000 that the owner bought without checking the variator campaign. The car is sitting in a garage now waiting for parts and special tools.

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about that car you mentioned, FNA confirmed that my car, even though it fell into the range of the campaign, was not part of the campaign. I have seen 2 instances of variator failure. Both of them had the updated parts.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's very interesting.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I thought so too and it freaked me out at first until I found out abut those instances. One belongs to a guy on the board, who bought the car that I was considering before I got mine. I talked to a service writer at the local dealer, he said that he has never seen a variator failure and it wasn't a big deal to begin with. That being said, the variators will be reaching their end of service life by the time my next major comes around (summer 2019) so I should probably get them changed at that point.

14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm still awaiting delivery of the Y2K 360 I just bought because they discovered a cam seal leak on final inspection. It has 25K miles and has sat around a lot the past few years, so that's no surprise to me. It had a belt service exactly a year ago, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do an engine out to replace the motor and transmission mounts plus the hoses. Think I'll do the variators too, whether or not FNA shows it was a campaign car.

15. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Holy crap !!! They lubricated the whole inside .

whatheheck likes this.
  16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I got some info from the guys in the regional forum, including the car being listed at low 70's in January only to be listed now in the mid 50's with a 600 or so more miles on it. Not sure what happened but it is interesting to say the least. Sent my buddy info on a 360 being sold here and AT with half the miles + records for just over 60k.

Car may be a gem, no telling....found my car at a used dealer surrounded by Fords, Toyotas, and Mercs. Only thing even remotely exotic was a Range Rover that had been pimped out. Talked with the owner on why does he have a Ferrari for sale among the "normal" cars and he told me it was his personal car. Don't know if that was a true story or not, but I walked across the street, literally, across the street to Ferrari of Houston and had them run the VIN, etc. Bought the car the next week after intense PPI.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Not a bad idea, but no reason to pull the motor, all that can be done with a lift.

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    That's what happens when they hire someone that is not used to detailing an exotic car.
    They use Armor All all over the interior.

It looks so greasy and that shine will reflect on the windshield which makes it difficult to see through the windshield when driving which makes it a safety issue.

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Nice looking car, but as they say, they all look good in photos (except for the "greasy" interior). You're smart to have someone check out the car. For me, since you are looking nationwide, I'd keep looking. As duly noted on this board by many, the 360 market is very, very, soft right now. There's a lot of nice cars out there for sale. I bought mine a couple of months ago from CA and I'm in Fl. Prices have gone down a little since then-- even on really nice, well documented, lower mileage cars. If you can wait, I'd still be looking if I were you. Especially since there are a lot of red / tan 360s out there-- if that's your preference.

Don't get lured into a lower priced higher mileage car without considering the costs to repair the 360-- and certainly be wary of a higher mileage car without having documents for previous maintenance and repairs. If you need a clutch in that car you can comfortably add $6000.00 to the purchase price. Penny wise, pound foolish comes to be a nice mantra when looking at these 360s. And nothing can quash the joy of ownership faster than a boatload of niggling problems week in and week out from a bargain 360.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    FoSA just pulls the motor and transmission and puts the car up on a lift. One of those, that's the way he likes to do it, things.

21. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Pretty much what I told him. Took me 3 years to find my 360.

22. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Daniel Hurlbert can show you how to do it on a 430 with just a garage floor jack. Not sure if there is a difference with a 360.

23. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Certainly a stroke of good luck on the Ferrari dealer being literally across the street. Seldom ever that convenient. Good for you.

I took about 3 months of looking very intensely and one flight to PA to look at a car (which I passed on but glad I went to look, very glad).
    I probably could have bought my car for a lower price by waiting it out but it ticked off all the boxes for me both cosmetically and mechanically. Plus I'm old, I'm not as patient as I used to be. I asked a good friend and my long time mechanic/ Porsche shop owner (who has owned Ferrari's) about waiting: his response was "The time to buy is when you find the car you want."
    Really comes down to that. We all have our lists of what we want. When the "right" car comes along it's not like you can order one that way. Time to just do it IMO.

24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, all three of my Ferraris have been, "This is the one!" experiences. 456M was Rosso Corsa/Tan Daytona, and there are only 5-6 M's in that configuration, the 308 is silver/black - not uncommon at all - but I drove it and fell in love with it, warts and all, and the 360 is a stick/sunroof car, one of 10 or eleven like that. I still haven't found the magic 612, but I'll start looking again within a year or two.

25. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    All I know is that the person bought a 2000 360 without being aware of the need to check for the variator campaign. Since it turned out the car's variator had not been changed to the new design, he is now having it done. Unfortunately, it is not a simple job as some tools have to be custom-made to allow the removal of the variator from the camshaft. I am guessing it will be expensive.

I have also read that some of the new design variators have failed, but the original design is apparently much more prone to failure. Hence the need for the Ferrari replacement campaign.

There are some older threads on Fchat showing photos of the point of failure. It is a very thin machined neck in the shaft of the variator where it attaches to the camshaft. It has a habit of snapping off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.